I could not have made this up

Alex893
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I could not have made this up

A guest calls me from the house a few hours after check in and asks if I provide towels. There are about 10 bath towels, 3 face towels and 10 wash cloths prepared for his group and are devided between bathroom. Just as many are in linen closet. So in shock I say " there are no towels?" 

- not at all, says the guest 

-not in ANY of the bathrooms?

-no, we looked everywhere. 

Another  voice from the background "we looked everywhere!"

My thoughts are racing, I am in total shock. Trying to figure out how this is possible. So I ask them to go in the bathroom again, which at his point seems like a stupid request ... and they see all the towels!!!

I hang up speechless. 

34 Replies 34
Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Alex893 welcome to the world of "Towel Blind" ---- crazy stuff ---- and you can't make that up!

happy hosting, Clara

Hi I don’t  know if I am on the right page. But is it ok to ask a host their thoughts on a previous guest?

nida

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Alex893  I don't know how these kinds of people manage to get through life. When I was a kid, my brother, when getting dressed for school, would sometimes call out to our mother,

"Where's my blue shirt?"

"It's in your closet."

"I can't find it."

"If I have to come up there to find what's right in front of your eyes, I'm going be mad."

"Oh, I found it."

Tom541
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Haha I had this one very recently.  In the end I had to go to the property walk her upstairs and low and behold in the closet are they 'missing" clothing items.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Sarah977 my husband still does that!

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I still do that with myself ahah @Sarah977 @Inna22

Carole155
Level 3
Hailey, ID

I had a guest text me at 11 pm complaining that there were no dish towels.  I told her to look in the tall  cabinet in the kitchen, to which she replied "ohhhhh."  Sometimes we just have to laugh this stuff off.

I have one hanging near sink. More in a pile. For finding things in the drawers, I have labels which I think are clear:

kitchen3.jpg

Guests mostly put things back where they belong, they can choose between Bigger Things, Smaller things and Cutlery. Potato peeler? Smaller things. Potato masher? Bigger things.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

😄 LOL 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I am so confused as to what they "thought" they were looking at when they went into the bathroom. Surely, all towels look the same to all people? Apparently, not.

@Emilia42 wrote:

I am so confused as to what they "thought" they were looking at when they went into the bathroom. Surely, all towels look the same to all people? Apparently, not.

Hahahe, real funny just remember they are people.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Alex893

Oh Alex, mate,  what can we say!

You do have to wonder how some people actually tip-toe their way into adulthood...they seem to stagger through life with their thumb in the b*m and their mind in neutral!

Picture this scenario Alex. Now why didn't I see this one coming?

Check-in sign.png

A guest gave me a 4 star for check-in and a 4 star overall because in his words,  'the listing was hard to find'. We live in a short street of 19 single dwelling houses.....no Condo developement....no highrise and we are  surrounded by parks!

My instructions to him were....."Come through the carport on the right side of the house and the cottage is directly behind the carport. Everything will be ready for you"!

Here it is, I have subsequently put in that sign when I am expecting guests as a result this guest's complaint.......can you see any certain difficulty here, either with visibility or instructions?......

IMG20180418174346 b.jpg

Well, even the 40 odd steps from his car to the listing door seemed somewhat confusing to this guest. God knows how he finds his way from one town or city to the next!

So I have now put that removable sign in place plus another one on the rear wall of the carport.

I probaby have to thank him in a way! Nearly all guests now tell me what a good idea and how it does make arrival easier!

Alex.....we all get them!

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4   Well, as I can see from the photo, the carport is indeed on the right side of the house when you are IN the house, but is on the left side when facing the house. How could you possibly expect guests to figure that out, it's SO confusing. (joking here buddy)

@Robin4 I love your sign...............for us - as our cities and counties are so regulated with zoning in Florida -  it is totally illegal to put any signage - they would close us down and fine us  big bucks! crazy huh? Well, one of the delights of living in the U S A....as Bruce would sing.....:)