I did not say Sorry

Answered!
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I did not say Sorry

This was a good lesson and something we should all remember.

A neighbor blocked my guests car.

The guest messaged me and I immediately dropped everything to address it. I sent a quick note to the guest that I am dealing with it asap and started to frantically search for the neighbor. I did not send a long message because I thought first priority was to get this dealt with. Few minutes later the car was moved and I sent a follow up message to let the guest know.

Issue was solved, I moved on.

The guest later told me that she felt I did not care about her because I did not apologize. While I think it is childish- it is not my fault (this has never happened before) and actions are far more important than empty words, it would have been very easy for me to say I was sorry and I just did not think of doing it.

1 Best Answer

@Emilia42 I started watching it and my husband said: It's too loud. So I said: Sorry, so sorry. Tried to make it quieter and just kept saying I was sorry. And then I just started to laugh at the whole situation- so ironic that I am watching a video about not saying sorry and doing just that. Started to laugh very loudly. And did not apologize for that.

View Best Answer in original post

34 Replies 34

@Sam397   "Women don't apologize any more then men."

Perhaps not in your personal experience, but sociological studies will bear out that this isn't true. 

Women are far more likely to feel that something is somehow their fault, when it isn't at all. That's why many abused women stay with their abusers. They convince themselves that if they just hadn't said this or done that, that their spouse wouldn't have gotten upset enough to hit them. And in fact, that's what their spouse tells them.

Of course it's no skin off anyone's nose to say you're sorry if the situation warrants that.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

"The guest later told me that she felt I did not care about her because I did not apologize." 

Granted auto-apologizing in some societies is very effective and doesn't cost anything, true; but in my way of thinking it would have been totally insincere because frankly the inconvenience others create in this world by their thoughtlessness is not my responsibility. Solving the 'issue' is, but making sure she felt someone cared about her is not, that is between her and her psychologist of her choosing which I am sure gets paid plenty to placate to her emotional needs.  I am just a simple host providing temporary lodging.

Russell49
Level 10
Katoomba, Australia

@Inna22  This is partially the reason I am taking a break from AirBnB. The brats that come with it. The platform brings has brought a lot of interesting characters, but lately there have been too many 0 review brats that believe you should be running errands for them, giving them snacks, tap dancing for them etc all for the amount they pay. I have gotten some idiots who break my house rules and am just going to take about a month vacation from AirBnB to relax and regroup.

@Inna22 Its a great point you make, and probably something all hospitality workers are trained for, always say "sorry" even when its not your fault or in your control.  Thought about your post, when my power company had a power outage for my entire area.  But the guest just wanted the power back and didn't really care why it was out....   THANK YOU to the guest for letting me know the power is temporarily out and I am very very sorry for the inconvenience.  The same applies to Internet service providers, garbage collection, and other third party providers.  At the end of the day, the guest just wants it.   You may need to apologize for bad weather.....

Liam2497
Level 2
Boise, ID

I tell the guest ‘let me check on that for you’ so that they know I’ve received the msg, even though I don’t have any new information. I’ll send an update every 15 minutes let them know I’m still checking into the issue.