I got sick over night; guests coming today

Julie1525
Level 4
Mabton, WA

I got sick over night; guests coming today

I woke up during the night with a severe sore throat and a cough. Knowing my health history, I'm headed for a bad case of bronchitis. I notified the guest that I am sick and gave them 2 options: they can come anyway, but should probably not interact with me much. Also, I won't be serving breakfast tomorrow, but I do have packets of oatmeal, frozen muffins, and granola bars (since they are all packaged,I won't be spreading germs). Or, if they don't feel comfortable staying here, they can cancel and find another place.

I really feel too crappy to have anyone around, and this is my home they will stay in..

What have any of you done in a situation like this?

Julie

14 Replies 14
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

The same, @Julie1525 . I would have done the same. Get well soon!

@Julie1525  I think allowing them to keep their reservation but hosting them in a "hands-off" (literally) way is the right thing to do. If you feel you were unable to offer the full experience promised in the listing, you might consider offering a token rebate on their checkout date. (I wouldn't discuss any kind of refunds earlier than that)

@Anonymous , that is exactly what I did, but they opted out. Turns out it was a good thing. I keep getting sicker (doctor tomorrow), and I wouldn't be able to handle the stress of strangers in my house while sick.  My next guests are Friday (I have the week blocked out for recovery.) I hope it's not pneumonia, or I'll have to cancel them too. 

@Julie1525  wish you all the best for a speedy recovery.   Serious Illness is one of the "extenuating circumstances" that are eligible for a penalty-free host cancellation, so if you're still feeling bad tomorrow I suggest getting documentation from your doctor stressing that you might present an infection risk to your guests. In theory, Airbnb should be able to cancel the reservation with no charge to either party, but it's best if you or your husband contact them directly and email them the doctor's note if necessary.

@Anonymous , that's my plan. If my pattern holds, I'll continue getting sicker for a few days before starting to get well. I'll go to the doc tomorrow for meds, then get the statement. If better cancel Friday's sooner than later. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Julie1525  I think you handled it perfectly and professionally. Get well soon.

Here is my cure-all for everything (yes, it really works, even friends who are skeptics told me it worked).

Peel and chop up an entire bulb of garlic. Boil in a couple cups of water until garlic is soft. Mash the garlic, or let the mixture cool, then whirl in the blender. Add a large tablespoon of miso (don't cook the miso, it destroys the good properties) and stir until the miso is dissolved. Drink one cup twice a day. The miso is really nutritious, so good if you don't have much appetite and it has good digestive enzymes, and the garlic is antibiotic and will kill bacteria and viruses.

You're a girl after my own holistic heart @Sarah977

I've also added fresh lemon or real apple cider vinegar and raw honey : )

You did everything perfectly @Julie1525   You get to rest now.

Sending you healing vibes...

Julie1525
Level 4
Mabton, WA

@Sarah977  Thank you so much! This the sickest I've been in a long time! I'll send hubby for ingredients. I knew about garlic, but not miso. 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Take it easy on yourself @Julie1525 
Great you have hubby to look after you.

All the best for a speedy recovery

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hope @Julie1525  you get better soon!

@Anonymous has given great advice, and so have other hosts with holistic advice.

I’ve been heading to the kitchen each night to have a glass of very hot water, followed by some Manuka honey. I was trying to stifle noisy night coughing from our guests, but luckily they stay under our dwelling, and it is quite separate. I’ve stayed friendly and interacted, but not too close... and backed away if I felt the throat might fail me.

@Julie1525  - You may be entitled to cancel under the Extenuating Circumstances policy if  you feel too sick to host.  You will need to contact Airbnb and provide whatever proof they need to cancel on your behalf and give the guest a full refund.  

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/what-if-i-need-to-cancel-because-of-an-emergency-or-unavoid...

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Julie1525   Being sick is never fun but to deal with strangers is awful.  It does sound like you have a spouse that can help, so hopefully he won't get sick as well!!

I had the same situation occur a couple of years ago.  Woke up sick and did not want to infect my guests who were a mother and young son.  I cancelled under the extenuating circumstances and I was glad I did.  Because I needed a doctor's note, I had to go to the doctor and what I thought was a cold was actually the worst strain of the flu.  That flu strange was linked to the deaths of many young children.  While the mother was understandably very angry and gave me a low review, I think I did the right thing.

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Julie1525,

Sorry to hear you are feeling unwell, I can understand at times when you aren't feeling well wanting your home to yourself. As others have said it sounds like you did the right thing and I'm sure your guests appreciate your honesty and for thinking of them. 

I wish you a speedy recovery, get lots of rest. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Julie1525
Level 4
Mabton, WA

Thanks everyone. I'm artificially feeling better today with maxed out pain killers, cough suppressant and antibiotic (just in case, because we are leaving on a cruise in 2 weeks). Here's to good health!