I had a guest pay for 2 days and only stay 5 minutes...

Leila55
Level 2
United States

I had a guest pay for 2 days and only stay 5 minutes...

I had a guest that was supposed to check in late last night...He said he was busy and would check in today. Well he checked in this evening...he came in through our garage which is where guests smoke (and they were in there smoking)...My son directed him to me. I greeted him and told him I'm sorry he came through that way as the smell of smoke is nasty to me and that I had expected to meet him at the front door. I should say there was as definite language barrier as I don't think he knew what I said. As I showed him to his room he asked "how many people?". I said "2 other guests and my kids". He didn't seem interested in where the bathroom was etc. Literally about 5 minutes passed and he comes down stairs and says he's leaving he has to go to work. I asked around when he'd return so I can open the door for him. He said he was checking out now. I asked is everything ok? He said "yes, next time I have to go to work.".

So my other guests and my older children start freaking out because some man came in the house with only a small bag...DID NOT TOUCH the bed or towels etc and left after 5 minutes. 

I'll admit it kinda freaked me out as well as we are wondering what he did while he was in the room. And who would pay for 2 days to not stay? Can someone help me out on this. Give me a logical explanation...Maybe he was uncomfortable?

Oh and the bedroom and bathroom and entire house is quite clean so that couldn't have been the issue.

1 Reply 1
Mark26
Level 10
Melbourne Beach, FL

All three of your listings have "No Smoking" as the very first line of your House Rules.

I don't smoke, and I avoid places where smoke is present like the plague. If I had to walk a gauntlet of Smoke to get into a space I had rented, I personally wouldn't enter.  I'd get in my car and go to a hotel, where No Smoking means No Smoking.

Maybe there wasn't a language barrier.  Maybe the guest was just doing his best to be polite and not cause a scene.