I had to cancel a res. for the 30th because of death of my sister. How do i avoid penalty?

Gloria144
Level 1
Hawkesbury, Canada

I had to cancel a res. for the 30th because of death of my sister. How do i avoid penalty?

2 Replies 2
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

You'll need to contact Airbnb directly. 

Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

This should qualify under extenuating circumstances for cancellation. Be prepared to provide proof. 

Here are 3 possible ways to contact Airbnb:

1. Airbnb Community Experts
2. Twitter Direct Message @Airbnbhelp
3. Calling Airbnb

1. Contacting Airbnb's Community Experts

The easiest and quickest way to get answers to any issues is through contacting Airbnb's Community Experts. If they cannot answer your question, they have the ability to re-route you to Airbnb

Step 1: Visit https://www.airbnb.ca/help/contact_us

Step 2: From the bottom of the screen, choose either "My question is about something else" or "I have a different issue"

Step 3: Follow the prompts to figure out what best describes your issues. Some things you choose will take you to specific information whereas others you can fill in the text box and submit your question.

When you submit a question, you can expect an answer back from a Community Expert within five minutes but usually less. If the Community Expert cannot help you, they can re-route your issue to Airbnb who will then contact you. Airbnb Community Experts do not have access to your account information so if it is a question that can only be answered with account information, they will re-route you automatically. Airbnb Community Experts are available 24/7 and again, usually you will have an answer from them quickly

2. Contacting Airbnb Via Twitter

I find the second best and easiest way to contact Airbnb regarding any issues I may be having is by using Twitter. Airbnb seems to have dedicated staff who monitor their Twitter feeds and I usually hear back from them within 24 hours. But I've never had an urgent situation.

Step 1: Log into Twitter

Step 2: Search for @Airbnbhelp and choose "Follow" them

Step 3: Send a Direct Message (DM) explaining your issue and wait for their response. They may ask for information such as your listing but always provide it over DM so it is not public.

3. Calling Airbnb's Customer Experience Line

***Please note that these phone numbers and any numbers below are meant for URGENT MATTERS so it is best to use the above two methods first***

Here are the phone numbers for Airbnb. If the area where you are hosting is not listed, check out the two ways below this list in order to find their number for your area.

United States and Canada +1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)