Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

I have 19 pictures; too many?

Emily440
Level 3
Salem, OR

I have 19 pictures; too many?

I’m proud of my goofy decor; Goodwill finds. What is the most effective number of pictures?

8 Replies 8
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Emily440 I think that as far as pictures go, more is more, so I don't think you need to worry about having too many with your 19. Over 20 is generally recommended: I think I'm at 30-something for both of my lisitings.

I think your place is cute and the decor suits it. I'm not sure you need quite as many detail pictures of it, but I think that's a stylistic choice that's up to you. I would take another picture of the bathroom that shows the sink etc, as well as a picture of the kitchen/dining area, since you allow people to use it.

I would also advise that pictures on Airbnb look best in landscape format. A lot of your pictures are portrait, and seem a bit cut off. The picture of the pillows on the bed and the picture of the living room spring to mind: in both, I feel like I want to see more, but my view is cut off.

Just a few constructive suggestions! I think what you have is also good.

Thank you Alexandra. In the meantime I have been editing thinking some of my pictures were goofy. But thanks to you answer I'll probably go back and add more again!

@Emily440

I have 26 for my private room listing....and when I'm a guest, I prefer more pics than less. If you have too many of the same then it can get boring but the same room at different times of the day and with curtains drawn/open help people get an accurate idea of what to expect. Depending on the overall quality of the pics, I'd say 10~15 would be the bare minimum 🙂 

Terrific suggestions Jessica and Henry. I'm going to go back after cutting it down to 9 and add more again!

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

As long as they show something interesting, why not. I also appraoch 30. And yes, eyes scan left to right, not up and down. 

Emily440
Level 3
Salem, OR

Thanks Fred. First time I posted and I'm so happy I did!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I have 31 pictures currently, @Emily440  I  see that you currently have 9.  I think you could add more but keep in mind the guest experience story you are trying to tell.  You want the guest to see the spaces that are for their private use and what spaces are shared use.  Close up of details that give a sense of the space, are nice touches.  I staged some of my pictures, which helps the guest feel like they are here. 

Emily440
Level 3
Salem, OR

Hi Linda and I am grateful you answered my post. I have been in a frenzy of editing this morning! I think I have 10 now but that will probably change. Thanks again. Advice is very valuable!