I have a 2 on Amenities in my ratings! WHY?

Yasmine82
Level 3
Wappingers Falls, NY

I have a 2 on Amenities in my ratings! WHY?

Wrote this post and there was an error, so here's the shortened version. I have ALMOST every amenity that AIRBNB thinks I should include. Short of food! 

What am I missing! 

I stock the fridge with bottled water and leave Starbucks and dunkin  with all the fixings!

NEW and clean pots and pans dishes and cookware, strainer, grill. Basically everything short of food? 

What am I missing! 

24 Replies 24

@John5097 There is no option for stovetop only in the checkboxes, oddly enough: the two choices are "stove" or "oven". I find that a bit confusing. Are they counting the stove as stovetop? I'm not sure. Here in my corner of Europe it is very common to have a stovetop but no oven. 

@Alexandra316 It is a bit confusing there is no option for stove top. There also isn't an option for kitchenette, which would be much simpler. It would be so much less confusing if they just had stove top, as there is no differnce between stove and oven to most people. If they see stove in the amenities listing guest will assume its an oven. I have convention oven that's part of the mircowave but don't include oven in the amenities. I do make it clear in listing description there is no oven. I mention it again with in the caption of the photo there is no oven. If I offered a cook top or stove top I would include that info as well whatever cook ware. I wanted to include a stove top also but its different here and guest likely cook more greasy food. I tried in induction cooktop and had instrucitons not to cook greasy food but some guest cooked hamburgers the entire time and entire place saturated in grease. Guest were also inquiring what they could and couldn't cook, so that seemed like they would be more inclined to also leave a low review, so just don't offer it anymore. I'm close to the city so most guest just want to eat out or use microwave. Only one or two have used the convection oven. Anyway I agree they should have option of stove top in the listing but they don't so my suggestion would be to include that info in the discription. I would keep kitchen checked and mention it has stove top in the description, but thats just me, and each host can decide what works best for them. BTW I'm going to check out your listing and see how the pros do it 🙂   

@Alexandra316 

"Here in my corner of Europe it is very common to have a stovetop but no oven."

Lovely listing! Although your listing says Canada right? 

@Alexandra316 Is it French Canadian? I know more about French American history in the north east and the forts up there. I didn’t realize areas in Canada still considered European. Are the laws similar to Aruba? Although that would be Dutch. What about covid restriction? 

@John5097 although my listing is in Canada, I'm actually currently living in the Netherlands. I really love it here and hope to start hosting here soon. I did move here during covid times: they can't keep you out if you have an EU passport. 

My apartment here has an induction stove top and a combi-magnatron, which is an awesome combination of microwave, oven and air fryer. I love it. I actually don't really love the induction stove top though: even though I clean it daily, I also find it tough to keep the grease at bay. If you have any tips, I'd love to hear them. I think i need a special cleaner or something, because it never looks clean to me. 

@Alexandra316 If you can purchase these in the Netherlands, try either Cerama Bryte or Weiman Cooktop Cleaner kits.  Both do an excellent job keeping the cooktop clean and are easy to use.  I have been using these products for years, both in my own home and in rental units.

@Lorna170 thanks for the tip! I will check it out. I just find that no matter how much I clean, there is always a haze. 

@Alexandra316 Wow that's so interesting you are living in the Netherlands while hosting you place in Canada. Makes sense now! My rental was first inspired while I was traveling, as I wanted to start traveling more and try to rent my place out somehow, so that's how it started, but what a crazy year right, although that's great you are getting to travel around or live somewhere else. I also like to start another listing. 

Looks like @Lorna170 beat me to it. I also use Weiman for glass top cooking surface. I also use a paint scraper that's simply a little utility knife that hold a regular single sided razor blade that retracts. It makes it easy to help clean glass top with the Weiman then let it dry and wipe it off.  My induction cooktop was only used a few times so is sitting beside the Instapot that's never been used, but might come in handy for traveling or on an outdoor porch area. 

Have you had any challenges hosting from abroad or away? I was thinking of finding a house sitter for a while if I want to travel, maybe even a guest as they would understand how clean it was and what's important to other guest. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Yasmine82I can understand the reason why you don't offer a washer, dryer, and oven (bc of repairs and cleaning)... but the hairdryer is cheap and handy and we have it in both of our apartments. I would suggest you include it as well. And umbrellas 🙂

Wende2
Level 10
Church Creek, MD

@Yasmine82  Hi....I have everything you could ever need in my apt.  Before Covid I'd bake something for my guests and early on at the beginning I'd have water, cereal, pasta and simple things like that.  Had one woman ding me for value.  I really don't know what more she expected.  As the yrs went by I stopped everything extra expect the baking, it's my passion aside from gardening.  As I have noticed most people stop at the local market for whatever, so it's all good.  Now I'm leaving popcorn til I can get my bake on again.  Just treat it like water off a ducks back, c'est la vie.