I have advised a guest there are floods in the area and they should cancel but penalties are unfair

David944
Level 8
Termeil, Australia

I have advised a guest there are floods in the area and they should cancel but penalties are unfair

I have advised guests as a responsible host in a rural area that floods and roads in poor condition would make their stay unpleasant to say the least.

If my guest cancels they are charged unfairly $35, if I cancel I suffer some fees but also lose Superhost status despite the fact I am looking after a potential guests best interests!

Any advice as to how Airbnb can be contacted to resolve this OR a way around it?

David

(2nd attempt at posting, strangely get http errors on upload, hmm)

5 Replies 5
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

After your guest has canceled, you can choose to refund them the $35 they are out through the Resolution Center.

My guest now refuses to cancel, and the amount is over $100 with a $37 refund to the guest, in my frustration with trying to find a solution without success.

Dealing with Airbnb is a chore, hardship, and impossible 

In that case, you can instruct your guest to Contact Airbnb and ask for a cancellation under the Extenuating Circumstances policy. Airbnb may or may not grant this, but its worth a shot.

Whatever you do, DO NOT CANCEL and do not accept a cancellation if you get an email asking if you'll accept one.  You have done your due diligence by informing the guest of the circumstances - it is up to them to either show up for the their reservation or asking Airbnb for a cancellation.

Thank you for your advice Cynthia and Chris, I have only just noticed this

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Go back and also keep copies of news reports of when these natural acts/ disasters occur.

You may like to upload a photo of potential such acts in your homes profile with a short explanation.

It adds to helping educate people - you never know you may even attract guests who have an interest in natural disasters.

As an aside you may like to look up previous natural disasters like floods in your area dating back to 1839 era in Papers Past NZ using your location and related keywords - it's got links to Trove Australia which has Australian newspapers but is more challenging to navigate.

Papers Past NZ has world history as and when it happened as and when "bush telegraph" was able to share news.