I have covid 19 and need a full refund 3 hours before checkin

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

I have covid 19 and need a full refund 3 hours before checkin

Yup, this happened to me today. I msged the guest around 1030am asking what time they planned on arriving. Her response... "

10:21 AM
I hv a problem.. i tested positive for covid 19. I just got my results today...

I dont wanna give it to anyone.. i hv to self quarantine for 10 days.."

The conversation went like this..

Donald 1023 AM
That's not good. Understood. you're giving me 0 days to re-rent this.
But I totally understand it definitely don't want you here if you're sick.

10:23 AM
Well ill be glad to come...lol

Im just being honest with u.. my son is already crushed

I guess now I gotta fight for my life.. ughhh

Refund would be great. Ill just gv him the money instead..

Donald 1030 AM
855 424 7262 you're going to have to call Airbnb about a refund. Just tell them that the host refused a refund. Hopefully theyll give u a refund.
They will probably make you send them documentation showing you were notified today that you have covid-19. After that they should give you a refund.

** 1037 AM
Well im comin then..

I cant just give away 300 bucks.. noway..everyone will hv to risk it then

Donald10:46 AM
You know I can't let you on the property now that you've told me you have covid-19. Just call them tell them you have it you are notified today and they will most likely give you a refund.

** 1059 AM
Thanks.. I could hv said screw it and come anywayz. But decided not to put ur life in jeopardy I SHOULDNT BE PENTALIZED FOR SAVING YOUR LIFE..

I assume airbnb will side with ME since she is cancelling 3 hours before checkin and I have always had the STRICT cancellation policy. I call airbnb and act as a guest and say I need to cancel due to covid19. The computer voice asks me if i made my reservation before 3/14/2020 and I push #2 to say NO. The voice then tells me that any reservation made AFTER 3/4/20 is NOT eligible for a refund under the extenuating circumstances clause. I FEEL BETTER NOW ... but... an hour later I get a msg from the guest saying...

210 PM
I received a Full Refund...

With no hesitation..." 

I thought... well airbnb probably refunded the guest out of their own pocket since I have the strict policy and their own computer voice told me a refund wasn't due to anyone booking after 3/14/20. 

I look at my calendar and see that today is now open and shows this guest has cancelled. This is AFTER the 2pm check in time so I basically have zero chance of renting the night. I then realize that they took the money from ME!?!?!?!?!?!

I get on the phone and am told that trust and safety are the people I need to talk to. After 30 minutes of being on hold, someone answers, says nothing and quickly hangs up. 

I call again and go through another agonizing wait time only to be told that trust and safety lines aren't accepting incoming calls and the CSR will make out a ticket for me. 

So now I am out $233 on top of the $412 last month and airbnb doesn['t seem to care. 

How in the world can they refund in full a guest who cancels 3 hours prior to checkin AND TAKE THE MONEY FROM THE HOST TO REFUND HER when the host has a strict policy? 

I later responded to her without any reply... " I know u don't care but I lost $233. I now have a prime summer night open because you cancelled 3 hours before check-in. Airbnb took the money from me. I have a strict cancellation policy which clearly states no full refunds unless guest cancels 14 days prior to check-in date. By airbnbs own rules, you should not have rec'd even a partial refund and surely not a full refund. But it's all good. I get a night without a bunch of kids in my backyard and arcade. I'd rather have the money but this isn't all that bad.

**[Personal information removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

17 Replies 17
Russell49
Level 10
Katoomba, Australia

Personally, I would have asked for Covid results/ doctor's cert.

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScOBCywxwI0

"JUST A PLATFORM"?  Yeah right?! LOL

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

COVID-19 has become the perfect excuse to get out of fulfilling one's agreement to stay at an Airbnb stay, to avoid working (in order to collect unemployment), etc.