I haven't got any bookings yet...

Marta-Alicia0
Level 3
San Salvador, El Salvador

I haven't got any bookings yet...

Hello Travelers and fellow hosts,

I am very new at hosting, I have just listed my space a couple of weeks ago and I haven't got any bookings yet.

I would like some advice on how to get people to notice my ad and book it.

I have tried many things like lowing down the price as much as I can and lowing dow the cleaning fee, and the amount of minimum nights to stay. 

I tried to take many beautiful pictures and write a good description (if you ahve some time I would really appreciate if you could take a look at my ad and offer some advice in terms of the writing, thank you in advance)

I live in San Salvador, the capital city of El Salvador, Central America; and I know that we get a pretty good amount of foreigners coming and traveling here but I don't know how to make my ad pop more and catch their attention. 

If you have any friends who might be thinking about coming to Central America, El Salvador please tell them about my listing, I know that I shouldn't be doing this but I know the community is to help each other and make recommendations and I trust that fellow hosts can share their experience with me to make this community even better than it already is.

Thanks everyone for their input and suggestions,

Best Regards,

Marta Alicia

17 Replies 17
Valerie192
Level 10
Inglewood, CA

Hi @Marta-Alicia0, Your listing looks very good I think! I know when I first listed (in July) I was worried because there was no activity or bookings for about 2 or 3 weeks. I also started out with a price to be at par or slightly undercut nearby competition. After about 3 weeks, all of a sudden they just started coming in and it's been very regular ever since.

One thing to consider is high or low tourist season - not sure if that may be affecting your bookings with you just starting out now in October. 

Nothing is glaringly wrong to me with your listing, though - so perhaps just a little patience and then they will start coming in for you like they did for me.

Good luck!

Regina38
Level 10
Wilmington, DE

Hello Marta,,

Your place looks wonderful! my suggestion (worked for me) is to add names of attractioins and places people would come to vist for work like concient to xxx beach close to xxhospital visit abc park or gardens. By adding actual place names you will come up when people search for accomodations near where they want to visit. Also add parking info because even though it seems obivous that you would have parking some dont see it.  Is there laundry washer?dryer available do they have access to the kitchen fo rcooking meals? make that clear so there is no confusion. good luck and happy hosting.

Marta-Alicia0
Level 3

@Regina38 thank you for your advice. I did add name of places and added the washer and that they have access to the kitchen for recooking meals. I just had my first booking and I'm very happy. I appreciate your help Regina

Hi Marta

I know how you feel - I was exactly the same when I started at the end of June! Nothing happened for me for a couple of weeks then Airbnb asked if I wanted to do a special offer for the first person to book which I did and got my first booking immediately and it has been busy ever since. Your listing looks lovely - the only thing I would add is would you consider making your check in time later? many guests have stuff to do during the day and won't want to have to arrive by 4pm if they are sightseeing etc during the day. My check in time is 5-10pm and I have only had 2 guests who wanted to arrive before 5pm. If you also alter your check out time to an earlier one this gives you more time to turn the room round between guests and then you don't have to block off days from your calender for cleaning. Good luck , I hope this helps!

Marta-Alicia0
Level 3

Hi Sally: 

Thanks for telling me about your experience, it helps to hear that everyone has been through the same. 

Airbnb also helped me at the beginning to give a special offer for the first person, but I don't know somehow when I changed the calendar dates of availability the promotion dissapeared, it was so weird I don't even know what happened and how to bring it back.

But thanks for your advice in being more flexible with the check in time, I will definetely follow it. 

Best Regards,

Marta Alicia 

Evelyn86
Level 3
New York, NY

Hi Marta, I love the 3rd picture. The one of the patio they will have direct access to. Maybe make that the listing picture? Everything else seems great. Does the airport have late flights going into your town. If so, then check in might have to be "flexible." How about a picture of that nice breakfast you are offering? Yummm! All the best, evelyn

Marta-Alicia0
Level 3

Hi Evelyn,

Thanks. I just made it the listing picture. You are right, I love that picture too. 

I just changed the check in times. I am working on the picture of the breakfast. I'll include it soon. 

Best Regards,

Marta Alicai

Dear Marta, really nice listing...

in order to have more bookings:

-i suggest you change  the first image of your listing,(table) with the one of the room.

I believe  Guests are more concentrate on the room, while they are searching accomodation...

- i also suggest you to change a policy in your house rules...and write: check in before 9 pm.(instead of entrance before 9 pm)

i think you can request to be quite after 10 pm, but it will be difficult to have reservation, if a guest is not free to enter in the house at any time he /she wants.

I'm sure you will have much more reservations, if you will take away this rule, or correct it with check in...

I've only been hosting since June 2017. Before I listed I looked at the pricing, extra pricing, cancellation fees, and reviews of all the other ABNB rooms in my area. When I first listed, I priced my place $2 lower than the others, I had flexible cancellation, no cleaning or any additional fees. I didn't do that to undcut any of the other properties but simply because I didn't have any reviews for those first bookings to go by. After the first month I had positive reviews so I increased my price, added cleaning fees, and changed to srict cancellation. I've had steady booking since.   Good Luck!

@Sue-and-John0

Thank you Sue & John, this has been very helpful. Will definetely do

Best Regards,

Marta Alicia

@Sue-and-John0 I will absolutely do this, I already did. 

lower my price and took of the cleaning fee, keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks for this advice

Best,

Marta Alicia

@Federica70 I did add the check in before 9 pm and I jsut had my first reservation. 

Thanks for your advice 

@Evelyn86 @Marta-Alicia0, I like the listing very much, Marta!  I searched for "San Salvador" with no dates and your listing came up on the first page, and the photo of the patio was very inviting (and the only one on the page!)  However when I clicked on the photo, the room photo came up.  While it's a nice room, I wonder if this is confusing to guests?  I'd make the same photo of the patio both your listing photo and your main photo for your expanded listing.  I know others on this forum have suggested the photo of the bed is most important, but I disagree - I'd be more interested in the special aspects of your listing, which for me, would be the chance to have a nice place to sit outside and relax.  Most of the other listings show the bedroom and yours now stands out - and that is good!  My eye is drawn to the bright colors in the patio photo - more photos like that one, and perhaps a bit more color (accent pillows, colorful artwork) in the bedroom would be attractive to potential guests.  Grab their eye and don't let go!  

I notice on the map that you seem to be near several museums and the University - maybe mention some of those in your listing as well to give guests an idea of what is nearby.  Good luck hosting! Let us know how it goes. Good luck hosting! Let us know how it goes.

Marta-Alicia0
Level 3

@Susie5 Thank you for your advice, I did have the picture of the patio, but then someone told me that people probably want to see the picture of the room, I'll try to make the room look as colorful as the patio so people can see bright colors and it catches their eye. 

I'll definetely inlcude that I am located very close to the University and museums. thank you

Great to communicate with you Susie, greetings to Boston. 

Best Regards,