I host an RV, on my property. Unexpected freeze is coming..

I host an RV, on my property. Unexpected freeze is coming..

I have a guest coming in the middle of it and there is not much I can do to ensure the water pipes don't freeze. Should I just let the guest know and see if they want to cancel...or go ahead and cancel the reservation? The option to leave water running over night is not availabe as it would fill up the tanks. 

3 Replies 3
Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Irene531 You should always inform guests of unexpected weather events that may affect their stay, especially when safety warnings have been issued. In this case, the weather may make your listing unsuitable to stay, so I would be quick as you can to highlight this to them. Say you understand if they wish to cancel...weather is something you can’t control... be up front and understanding etc.

If they decide to come anyway, you will need to have a clear backup plan to accommodate them, in case your RV becomes unsuitable. If that’s not practical for you, then I suggest getting in touch with Airbnb. If it’s a published weather event, they will probably offer to cancel the reservation for you, consequence free.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Irene531,

There are a lot of tips on the Internet to deal with (preventing) freezing of waterpipes and drains in caravans, mobile homes etc.. Maybe there is something usefull to solve the problem ?

But i think you should at least inform the guest and maybe reservation needs to be cancelled, IMO guest should receive full refund (unless you stated clearly in your listing this "freezing" problem as a possible issue, being accepted by the guest).

Maybe Airbnb is willing to cancel penalty free ?

Best regards,

Emiel

Thank you both. This is great information. I will make sure to reach out to my guests and Airbnb. If the snow and freeze does happen, it will be a published weather event. Unfortunately with a 5th wheel there is real no way to prevent freezing short of draining all water and running anit-freeze through the lines. The holding tanks are heated but the lines are pretty exposed. 

I abosultely appreciate the help.