I just had a guest (Apr 17th check in) tell me they are NOT getting a Full refund check but only option is travel credit?

Sharon480
Level 5
New Jersey, United States

I just had a guest (Apr 17th check in) tell me they are NOT getting a Full refund check but only option is travel credit?

At the meanwhile my 12.5% payout won’t be until 4 weeks later? 

Airbnb really knows how to save their cash flow! Amazing!

I will update later if Airbnb kept the 10% serivce fee from the guests. I’m asking my guests who cancelled yesterday. I hope they didn’t keep. Otherwise we all know what that means...

9 Replies 9
Sharon480
Level 5

So one of the guest got back to me, they didn’t refund the serivce fee back to the guests either (Not cash refund,  but travel credit). So Airbnb has the cash for the serivce fee! Plus all the time they keep making interest money on the travel credit cash, they have a well-thought plan to not lose anything. All picture perfect for guests and seemly hosts too.

Sharon480
Level 5

So give Airbnb a big applause—well done! We ALL loose nothing all the way until May 31st cancel all you want! Yeah🙁!!

Annette639
Level 2
Phoenix, AZ

I got screwed by Airbnb, they didn’t even tell me I wasn’t going to get any money even though the guests canceled only two days before. They didn’t tell me it was because of coronavirus they just said your guest canceled and you get zero. When I contacted them they went around in circles. First they told me that they did not change my cancellation policy and that it was my fault, then they said nobody will get a refund now. This is all in hindsight, they never communicated to me when they were screwing me over. Airbnb  acted unprofessionally towards me and I do not trust Airbnb anymore.   They screwed me over one time to many, i will be telling friends  and all  about how Airbnb is not to be trusted

Sharon480
Level 5

They did that to me also yesterday. A traveler already changed to future date from their April 17th date. then they called Airbnb, and Airbnb rep wrote to me that they get to cancel with full refund, and I don’t even get anything (not even the 12.5%). I went arguing if the reason for cancelling is Covid-19, then why they qualify under EC a full refund, why don’t I qualify the 12.5%? I’m yet to hear back from the rep who never got back to me again.

Sharon480
Level 5

A guest just called me and said Airbnb send him email to encourage him to cancel **for future travel credit, not a full cash refund 

Mary419
Level 10
Savannah, GA

I just posted a screen shot about this to another conversation. My payouts are going to ZERO but some guests are sharing screen shots showing me they were forced to take a voucher. 

In the same investigation I am realizing that the "eligible" cancellations for the 12.5% may be far less than all of the ones we lost. I have gotten conflicting answers when asking 1. If a host gets one of those emails asking the host to cancel "penalty free" and give a full refund, do we get the compensation 2. Why are the cancellation notices and processes varying so much... only a few have come to me with the message about Airbnb sharing in the cost and sending me the shared money in 4 weeks. Why not all...

Sharon480
Level 5

I have 4 guests got back to me saying they are not getting money back the same way they paid, all money they paid Airbnb in advance will now be another hold by Airbnb as a voucher.

Again Airbnb isn’t losing anything, they kept the 10% serivce fee, they have and will continue to earn interest on the cash they hold on hand.

Very smart the way Airbnb played it out, it’s a win win situation for both guests and Airbnb, just not the hosts. 

Sharon480
Level 5

What’s really upsetting is that Airbnb encourage the guests to cancel immediately—this way my payout outside the 14 day is only half of the rent, otherwise within 14 days Airbnb would have to pay 25% of the full rent. By encourage them cancel now, airbnb ensures they only have to pay 12.5% of the total, instead of the real 25% of the total. My guest was going to postpone (we already communicated about this last week), but after he received the new email from Airbnb ENCOURAGE him to cancel, he decided to cancel right away, and he did. 

I'm a host and I've received booking and confirmed it. Same day I got message from guest that she has account broken and ask to cancel reservation. May be she changed her mind and didn't want to pay for cancelation or my account in danger? Is my bank account information is safe? What can I do to safe my bank account data on Airbnb?