I just yelled at a guest! That's a first!

Answered!
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I just yelled at a guest! That's a first!

It is summer, busiest time, and here come my crazy stories.

A guest came back with her entire crew well after check out, when the new guests were there, literally there and all started to use the bathroom. I was there greeting the new group when one of the new arrivals approached me to tell me that someone was downstairs and it was really awkward. I ran down and asked them to leave. They were trying to explain that all they needed was a bathroom.

In a complete shock I told them (with my heave Russians accent that gets worse when I am shock) that this is completely not ok. They then proceeded to try to enter my side gate and walk out through my actual property so then I yelled something else, cannot even remember what, probably something like you can not be doing this. Bad reviews were left by both parties promptly.

1 Best Answer
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Inna22 

Absolutely appalling guest behavior. I would have loved to hear you yell at them in Russian!!

Entering the property well after check-out time is never okay! I have not experienced anything quite so heinous, but my worst guests ever attempted to enter my home (shared space) about 30 minutes after check-out, after sitting in their care in my driveway for 30 minutes after check-out. I was very close to the door so I heard them punch in a code and try to enter, then when they realized their code didn't work anymore they knocked. They had the audacity to ask if they could put their dog in my backyard until it was time to check-in at their next Airbnb (about 4 hours). Nope. Nope. Nope.

View Best Answer in original post

48 Replies 48

@David8879 Are you a native Russian speaker? Because that expression is pretty rude to say to someone you don’t know at all. 

for the rest of you fellow hosts- this translates as relax and enjoy- and it is a quote from a very stupid joke about how to act when sex is being forced on you. Ok to say in a very close company, not ok here

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Inna22 

Yeah, the British have a similar expression Inna...."Roll over and think of God and Country"!!

Cheers........Rob

@Robin4 yes, definitely. I did not know that one. You would agree that it does not fit the context and not appropriate to say here. 

I've also heard it @Robin4 as "shut your eyes and think of England."  😂

Dear @Inna22 ( I hope you don't mind me saying "Dear" and will not accuse me of saying something inappropriate again)
I only speak two languages - English and Bad English - both of them quite well.
Thank you for educating me - I live to learn. But my opinion still stands - you are overreacting (I swear do G-d - I am not putting any other context in these words)
I rest my case
P.S. My Russian Lady friend (She is a teacher of Russian Literature) is looking over my shoulder, laughing and she will write something too – here it goes (she says it will be very decent:
“Что-то, воля ваша, недоброе таится в мужчинах, избегающих вина, игр, общества прелестных женщин, застольной беседы. Такие люди или тяжко больны, или втайне ненавидят окружающих. Правда, возможны исключения. Среди лиц, садившихся со мною за пиршественный стол, попадались иногда удивительные подлецы!“

@David8879 David David David David, relax.  You have not been around long enough to enjoy @Inna22's stories, and it appears you are uncomfortable with her frankness.  How many people are honest enough to admit to yelling at a guest?  And in my opinion, she had every right to do so.  She was shocked and protecting her property.  As @Debra300 pointed out, there are Americans who, when shocked into a desire to protect their property, shoot first and ask questions later.

@Ann72 

It appears in most posts I've observed David just pops in to make sarcastic, or, in this case, rude comments then back pedals that "it was just a joke" or, if you call him out, he gaslights you and claims you are the one in the wrong or claims you're too sensitive.

And yes, anyone new to the CC should observe and get to know everyone before jumping in as if they own the place. Or at least contribute something positive to the conversation.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@David8879 

Теперь мне нравится звучание твоей русской подруги Дэвида. Двумя главными радостями в моей жизни были вино и компания прекрасных женщин. Так что она говорит мне, что я не серьезно болен, и я не тайно ненавижу окружающих меня людей.

Скажите от меня, спасибо!

David, I think what everyone is going to say here, as humans we all have a differing perspective on life. I would never say that you are wrong or Inna is, or Ann, or Suzanne. We all live our lives and do things that best fit our circumstance. We are here for advice and to learn from the experiences of others and I feel it's up to all of us to respect each other. 

We might not agree, but that's our prerogative, take on board what fits for us, and let the rest slip through to the keeper, hey! 

Cheers..........Rob

@Inna22 

I hope this passes the translation test!

@Robin4

You nailed it - and that is all I keep saying, but chorus never stopped singing -
**** people are different, ****
what is acceptable to one person totally wrong for another. People who do not account for some edge cases are .... well...I would recommend guests not to stay with them....

Do I like to pick the vomit covered towel from the floor? Hell -NO!
Is it clearly stated in the house rules to behave like human? YES.

Will I write bad review for that....may be...may be not.... people are coming to Algarve to
PARTY
Will I shoot the person who trespassed to pee??? Jee-wiz - there are some scary people here who alluded just that - I will NOT - even though I am legally armed as oppose to the keyboard warriors making these kind of comments here..

I understand that and live with that, it is a part of doing business, guests are not in your place to help you pay off your bloated mortgage on the house or wash your money.

They are to get to sleep, eat, and screw in your place. 

P.S. That was a quote from wonderful book by Russian writer Bulgakov.

At least good wine does not have expiration date.... for everything else I am able to pick up new model when old one needs too much maintenance

Back to my comfortable single man cave before SJW return - next model is coming soon....

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@David8879 

I was going to let that last couple of comments slip through to the keeper David but, I consider life a bit deeper than that.

My 'old model' scored the winning ticket for a disease that will ultimately kill her, back in 1976........ just 18 months after President Nixon got rolled from office, remember.

R & a 1.png

Each year gets just that bit harder and requires a bit more maintenance but, we have got 52 years up together now David and I can assure you.....there is no new model on the horizon....

export1622715031288.jpg

..........no matter how much maintenance is required!

Cheers........Rob

@Robin4 I envy you

My original model disappeared 40 years ago when I was broke and on the hospital bed.

I only lease since.

To each his own.

Julia0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Robin4 Just....WOW... Robin, what a beautiful answer, and beautiful family. Keep on trucking!!

Best to you and Ade from Blighty ✌️

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Wow @David8879 

Why the need to be so rude to a fellow host. It's not an over-reaction at all to be upset when former guests trespass on your property when your new guests have already checked in.

Can you imagine what impression it gives to new guests who rightly expect to check in to a sparkling clean place, for their sole occupation -  to find strangers are using their bathroom. 

Nailed it @Helen3 

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Inna22 

I haven't yelled at a guest yet, but there have been many times when I've wanted to. Your guests behaved appallingly. Unfortunately, many guests simply do not seem to understand why checking out on time is important, but in this case, you had already discussed it with them and explained other guests would be arriving at 1pm, so there is really no excuse. They were just being stupid and entitled and when they were told it was not okay, proceeded to trespass further. How would they have felt if random people let themselves into the house while they were staying? 

Luckily, I've never had guests go this far with ignoring check out, but there was one time I remember when I was having surgery the day some guests were checking out. I had already had to cancel incoming guests because of needing this surgery and peace and quiet to recover afterwards. 

The guests asked if they could leave their bags and return at 12pm to collect them. I said okay, but explained that my mother and aunt would be bringing me back from the hospital that afternoon, so please don't make it any later. I came back to find their stuff still there. They came back around 4pm, no apology for being late and then started packing in the hallway chatting the whole time, which took them another hour.

It was no real skin off my nose as I didn't have incoming guests, but my mother was furious at their lack of consideration. She would have yelled at them if I had let her.