I just yelled at a guest! That's a first!

Answered!
Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I just yelled at a guest! That's a first!

It is summer, busiest time, and here come my crazy stories.

A guest came back with her entire crew well after check out, when the new guests were there, literally there and all started to use the bathroom. I was there greeting the new group when one of the new arrivals approached me to tell me that someone was downstairs and it was really awkward. I ran down and asked them to leave. They were trying to explain that all they needed was a bathroom.

In a complete shock I told them (with my heave Russians accent that gets worse when I am shock) that this is completely not ok. They then proceeded to try to enter my side gate and walk out through my actual property so then I yelled something else, cannot even remember what, probably something like you can not be doing this. Bad reviews were left by both parties promptly.

1 Best Answer
Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Inna22 

Absolutely appalling guest behavior. I would have loved to hear you yell at them in Russian!!

Entering the property well after check-out time is never okay! I have not experienced anything quite so heinous, but my worst guests ever attempted to enter my home (shared space) about 30 minutes after check-out, after sitting in their care in my driveway for 30 minutes after check-out. I was very close to the door so I heard them punch in a code and try to enter, then when they realized their code didn't work anymore they knocked. They had the audacity to ask if they could put their dog in my backyard until it was time to check-in at their next Airbnb (about 4 hours). Nope. Nope. Nope.

View Best Answer in original post

48 Replies 48

The question everyone fails to ask: "Why guests were told next guests will arrive at 1PM when check in time is "after 4PM"? 

When guests see that checkout time normal (and most of Aby Normal ones) will presume that there will be no harm to stay few extra hours...**

I am not saying that guests were right - I am just trying to put myself into the shoes of other people who are under no obligation to think the way I do.

**[Inappropriate content removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

@David8879 everyone failed to ask that question because they didn’t failed to read what I posted which said that the next guest requested an early check-in and the previous guest was made aware of that. I’ve also never had anybody presume that exit few hours are OK. My check out time are explicitly listed in multiple places

@David8879  I can't make sense of this sentence:  "When guests see that checkout time normal (and most of Aby Normal ones) will presume that there will be no harm to stay few extra hours..."  ???

I think most hosts agree that guests who decide it's okay to stay a few extra hours past checkout time are not good guests.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ann72 wrote:

I think most hosts agree that guests who decide it's okay to stay a few extra hours past checkout time are not good guests.

Yes, I agree and especially when the guests have already asked for late check out and been told no because other guests are arriving. 

I know the word 'entitled' is over used these days, but this story pretty much embodies what it means.

When guests stay in hotels, they need to check out by a certain time. Some hotels allow slightly later check out, others don't and many will charge for it, but you need to ask. You don't just rock up to your hotel room hours later, walk in on the housekeeping and start peeing in the loo.

Hosts often complain that some guests are "better suited to a hotel" and I am sure this is true in many cases, but a lot of other hosts who would not behave that way in a hotel (because they can't), think they can do whatever they like in an Airbnb and that the rules are meaningless.

@David8879 No, it's not normal to think it's okay to presume it will be okay to stay a few more hours without asking (let alone doing it after you've been told no). It's rude. It's also extremely stupid when they know other guests are checking in.

What's the point in even having a check out time if guests can just stay until whenever they think they should leave?

@Ann72 

I missed "-" and meaning got lost - apologies (also people need to see Young Frankeinstei movie to get the humor of this statement)

Now - I am not saying that Inna's guests were right and Inna was wrong - that is NOT what I am trying to convey. 

What I am saying - when check out policies DURING booking state "10:00AM" - with following check in time clearly stating 4PM (no matter what was "communicated" later - any person, not grown in the jar, would presume it IS OK to overstay their welcome slightly. (I am not implying "few hours" - 30 minutes or some - may be - I set my interval for check in - check out to account for such delays). And more so - if I, for example, would be declined to my hypothetical request "Can I check in at 2PM?" and then I saw people moving in at 1PM - I would write The Worst Possible review ever. I am not up to preferential tretment no matter what the reason is.

Also what I was saying - Inna takes it too close to her very serious heart (splash of humor would be nice touch though and I am truly puzzled by complete lack of such as I've met quite a few people of Russian origins and most were hilariously Jewish ...) and makes it sound like an end of the world - which it is NOT.

People are people, some good, soem not, some organized some are schmaks like I am - at least I am a likable a.... as opposte to some...

I yet have to read Inna's storie which I will enjoy or find helpful - looking forward to it. (as oppose to @Huma0 I have already learned a lot from while enjoying her style). Really.

P.S. Common sense is not so common" [Voltaire]

@David8879 you would be hard pressed to find someone here who thinks it is ok to overstay by a few hours and I am reasonable certain that none of us grew up in a jar. You also have to stop making your unnecessary references to peoples origins. Is that funny that they were Jewish? Or were the Jews and happened to be funny? Or they were Jewish so it was surprising that they were funny? Please do not answer.  You are on a path to nowhere good with your references

@David8879 - by your logic:  you think a hotel would be fine with having a guest check out at the noon checkout time, but then freely come in and out between noon and 3 pm, the check-in time of the next guest?

You use a lot of words but apparently don't read every word that others write.  Inna wrote that 1) the guest asked for a later checkout time, 2) she told the guest unfortunately she could not accommodate a later checkout since she had guests checking in earlier than usual that day (as it is any host's prerogative to give permission for either a late checkout or an early check-in), 3) the checked out guests, knowing that the next guests would be coming at 1 pm, came back to the listing after checkout without prior permission from the host.

@Inna22 overlooked neither common sense nor logic in this scenario, but the first group of guests ignored both.

@David8879  No. No. No. Check-out time is what it is.  It doesn't matter if there are no guests coming for another month or people coming that same day one minute after check-in time.  Guests who book agree to the check in/out times unless special arrangements are made.  Guests who think its okay to stay a few 'extra hours' are bad guests and possibly not so great people either.

We often, to hopefully acrue goodwill will offer guests late check out when we don't have any guests coming for a few days.  Usually it works, but not always...the last guests, who damaged several items and failed to follow our most basic check-out procedure on towels and trash....asked for an extra hour, we said fine.  They were still in the house 2+ later, that is rude.  These guests also gave us low reviews despite everything we did to accommodate them including a late check out.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No you just failed to read what @Inna22  wrote re early check in - while the rest of us did 🙂 @David8879 

Everythign is going to be alright 

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Inna22 

Absolutely appalling guest behavior. I would have loved to hear you yell at them in Russian!!

Entering the property well after check-out time is never okay! I have not experienced anything quite so heinous, but my worst guests ever attempted to enter my home (shared space) about 30 minutes after check-out, after sitting in their care in my driveway for 30 minutes after check-out. I was very close to the door so I heard them punch in a code and try to enter, then when they realized their code didn't work anymore they knocked. They had the audacity to ask if they could put their dog in my backyard until it was time to check-in at their next Airbnb (about 4 hours). Nope. Nope. Nope.

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Inna22 

Host can't have guest returning after check out. This could have easily become an invasion of privacy issue. 

Using the bathroom is an ongoing issue near one of the parks downtown. I provide public bathroom info in my guest guide, so they don't end up like this guy and take a poop in the lobby. 

https://abcnews4.com/news/local/city-tests-public-bathroom-fix-after-video-shows-man-defecating-at-f...

@John5097 this is crazy! That guy must have really needed to go. At minimum he could pick up!

I am downtown Chicago. There are restaurants, coffee shops, fast food places back to back. There are even construction porto-potties on my block. These people had endless options. As the last resort, they could at least ask, not just go in (the answer would have still been no but I could point them to the nearest public option)

@Inna22 That's been an ongoing issue at that location for a long time. The closest bathrooms are 4-5 blocks away. The commercial area, coffee shops, restaurants start on a main street, so just tossed that info in there with the parking and transit info, and a few options for the beach. For just when they are out and about. I never considered that a guest might return after check out to use the bathroom. Their code does expire at check out time and door is locked. I even considered locking the door when its being cleaned but so far guest have shown up that early, maybe 15 minutes or so but I account for that. 

I've also only had one guest return after check out. They wanted to use the parking pass for the beach, and I instructed them to just put it in the mail box outside. 

That's also why I don't allow guest to drop off bags or leave them and return to get them.  They may need to use the bathroom.