I love this forum picture

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

I love this forum picture

A presumably single white woman smiling while showing a black male stranger into her high end (million dollar?) suburban home. She's not even opening just the 1 heavy fancy wood door, she's got BOTH doors w-i-d-e open to show she is REALLY ok with this. Does anyone else chuckle at this besides me? Where does airbnb get these pics? They must stage them.  

"Oh hi, come this way into my multi million dollar suburban mansion. You can tell by the $10k doors that this isn't just an average middle income house. You needed a room for the night for $69 right? I know you asked for a discount but $69 is my lowest rate. The local $109 budget motel was too expensive for you I see. Come this way and I will show you to our $69/nite guest room. The door knob costs more than your reservation so please respect my home. I'm sure you've read all of our rules and won't break any of them. Ok great! Sleep well. I know I will!" 

58 Replies 58

quincy I'm really not interested in engaging with you. You obviously have a chip on your shoulder. I'm sorry for that. Please kindly leave me alone. I am not racist. Check my reservation list. Probably 1/2 my guests are NOT WHITE. My guests pay your salary. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Wow @Donald28 

Why be so rude? There was nothing but politeness in the messages that Quincy sent you.

There was nothing in his messages that in any way indicated or inferred that you are a racist.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I took the picture as being an example of over-the-top marketing by Airbnb; 'for only $69 dollars this is where you get to stay', though my wife instead focused on the hair style of the woman (rolls eyes). We both probably subconsciously ignore everything else, because it was way too confusing. Speaking of pictures >

IMG-20200718-WA0003.jpg

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Donald28  To quote your recent addition here: "Black women aren't afraid of renting to anyone. White women are."

Have you done some scientific study which makes you an authority on women's fears based on their race? 

Why keep digging yourself a bigger racist, misogynistic hole? Your lack of self awareness is astounding. Or are you trying to push the "bit provocative" envelope just a little further?

Just because someone says something that's obvious and true about a race doesn't make them a racist.

The word racist is thrown around so frequently & carelessly (usually by the left) these days that it is losing it's shock factor. Soon, it'll mean nothing at all. 

In case you don't know the meaning of the word you are so quick to label people with... here you go. 

a person who shows or feels discrimination or prejudice against people of other races, or who believes that a particular race is superior to another.

Where in ANY of my posts have I said I dislike any race or am better than them because I am white? 

You folks are crazy. 

@Donald28  When you make sweeping statements about an entire group of people based on their race or sex, that is racist and sexist.  If you don't get that saying "white women..., black women..." feel this way or that way is indicative of prejudice, then you need some serious education in that regard. Which you are obviously not open to.

@Sarah977  Don't we all make a lot of sweeping generalizations?  Like, I  can say that 'families with children of any age are more messy than people with no children' even though I understand that there are surely some families somewhere who are neater than adults only, even if none of them have rented with me. 

Pointing out differences in behavior or attitudes between demographic groups is not inherently problematic, but people seem extremely sensitized to this issue and tend to overreact.  It's like that thread a couple of years ago by a Chinese person who wrote a lengthy list of Chinese cultural issues/tendencies that might be relevant to an Airbnb host..it was very helpful, but despite that, a number of mostly White British and Americans jumped on the person for stereotyping. 

@Mark116  As hosts, we may find that something tends to be true, in our personal experience, like families with children leaving more of a mess than adults only groups. 

But "Black women aren't afraid of renting to anyone. White women are." is a generalization not having anything to do with Donald's own hosting experience- it's just some idea, based on nothing but his own presumptions, stated as fact. 

**[Inappropriate content removed - Community Center Guidelines]

@Donald28  your comment about Sarah was absolutely uncalled for.   Shame on  you.

And, @Mark116  the post you were referring to, re Chinese culture, was quite a different situation- this was a Chinese person giving other hosts insight into Chinese culture and the reasons why Chinese guests may conduct themselves in a certain way. It was intended to enlighten others who have no knowledge or experience with that culture and way of life. 

I agree that anyone who called out that thread as racist was misguided.

But that is quite different from someone making presumptuous statements about something that is not within their realm of knowledge (a man, and additionally one who has openly stated at one point on the forum that his sexual orientation is gay) about how white women and black women feel. If he has some unbiased research on which he based his statements, he should post those links.

@Sarah977  Maybe he's  just having fun with us?  Stating basically that all Black women are total bad*** who will rent to anyone and White women, especially wealthy ones living in nice, large houses are shrinking violets who can't even open both sides of their own door, LOL.  He would do better and would prevent himself being mischaracterized if he paid more attention to how he words things, but that's up to him.  I hope he isn't banned and I thought the pile on was a bit unfair, but that's me.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Donald28 

Don, I am starting to agree with @Quincy , you are getting a bit personal!

Your volume of reservations and your profit out of you 'busting your ar*e' does not make you a more superior host than @Sarah977 

Whether you host 3 guests a year or 300, it's your guests who determine how good you are, and I would remind you Don, @Sarah977  is a straight 5.00 star host over her 4 years of hosting, you are a 4.99. You are close to Sarah's league.....but you are not in it!

The whole idea of this community is to help each other with our problems, and you telling Sarah she would be better off cashing in can deposits while you are the financial saviour of the Airbnb organisation is not an appropriate use of the forum Don.

I respect you and I think you are a great host, but can I please ask you to put some of you experience and frustration into helping others here instead of telling them how they don't match up! 

Cheers......Rob