I'm combating Airbnb's guest anonymity... I think?!

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

I'm combating Airbnb's guest anonymity... I think?!

Tired of getting booking requests with nothing but a first name and no reviews... I just added this to my listing under house manual. I do not use instant book so all reservations must be approved by me. 

"House manual

WHEN REQUESTING TO BOOK: Tell me a little more about you and your guests please. Why are you coming to this area? How'd you find us? Ages of all guests & are you bringing pets and anything else Y-O-U would want to know about complete strangers if they were about to come stay at Y-O-U-R home. Airbnb tells me your first name, the city you're from and how many guests you're bringing. That's it. No picture of you, no last name... nothing. From that little tiny bit of info I am supposed to make a decision that people who I don't know are "OK" to come stay at our place and play in our arcade?! Imagine strangers are requesting to stay at your home. What would you want to know about them. Tell me that about you & your guests. THANKS!

IDENTITY The guest responsible for the reservation must be present at the time of check-in. We also reserve the right to ask and view government issued ID for any members of the guest party before entering the property."
67 Replies 67

Donata, they're right.  He IS the laughingstock of the world.  He is a disaster at home and abroad.  Fortunately, the investigations continue, so maybe he won't be a problem much longer.

Donata12
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

If you don’t use IB you can screen guests yourself and ask them questions. I do too. I send out a message asking to tell me more about themselves and their party. I point out that I need to make sure we are a good match to improve the Airbnb experience. I also set my booking rules to demand a picture after the reservation in confirmed. This way, if a guest does not want to post a picture he or she is not able to confirm the reservation.

Jill445
Level 1
Novato, CA

I agree.  Unfortunately though, only confirmed bookins can see  the House Manual.  

I have taken one listing down because of inadequate information received.

The renter can find all sorts of information about the host but not vice versa.  I also find the new Air B & B website extremely difficult to navigate.

Lauramay0
Level 3
Biabou, VC

Good evening. I am just about joining the Community. I would like to what are some of the things that is in the House rules. From reading here I gather some ideas. Really appreciate.some help.

@Lauramay0  Basically, in addition to probably no smoking no pets and no parties, the things that you want the guests to do, or what will  help protect you.  

So, for example, we have added over time that there are no visitors allowed on the property that are not part of the guest reservation without our prior permission, a lot of people have 'quiet hours' at night, we have that guests are expected to recycle, wash their dishes and tell us of any damage they do or anything not working, I can't remember we may have it also that they are expected to turn off window AC in the summer. If you aren't on site, you probably want more rules, or if you have more amenities, like a pool  or fireplace, you would add whatever 'rules' about that which were important.

You can also put in the rules that if the guest breaks X rule,  you will charge them X $$, this is not necessarily going to be enforced by airbnb, but it is at least a better place to start and might help prevent problems.

Hope that helps.

LOL, Mark I love your responce. I started writing a 'Suggestion Book' including [toilet seat up/down....close front door (keep heat in)....do not take things not belonging to you away.....'

50 pages later...LOL...OMG.

IF Guests do not respect....OUT

Thank you for cheering up my evening.

Thanks. This is very helpful. I will include and as time goes by I will update. Thank you very much.

I would love to have your problems. I would actually love to have Airbnb guests. Typically they are the best in the world. IF Airbnb does not list you, in your area, but lists houses 50 miles away, you know something is wrong.

Was a SuperHost, and so happy / proud.

Cannot retrieve it after (a) Dissapearing from Airbnb Listings (b) VERY POOR REVIEW [someone smoking Dope in a room= Out you go - smoke outside- ] (c) HORRIBLE REVIEW on Tripadvisor.

I could close the Airbnb, but it started as a Airbnb, and I really only want Airbnb customers... Any hints / help appreciated. Airbnb is a FANTASTIC organisation, I Just would like to be involved again. 🙂

Regards

Paul

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

LOVE IT! Airbnb may be hell bent on stripping away all our host rights and any semblance of our being a community, but we don't have to accept it. Best of luck and let us know how it goes!

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Donald28  @Ben @Mark @Rebecca181  @Paul584 

As usual another great idea from you Don!

For me it is just a bit cumbersome, remember they are looking at booking and we have enough trouble getting them to read the listing description as it is. I like the idea Don, but think for those requests that don't come to me via IB I would in other things you should know shorten it to something like this.....

"It may surprise you to know Airbnb hides your picture and any personal details until I have accepted your booking! Yes a bit tough isn't it, but we do have to work together. Please take a minute to send me a few details about yourself with your booking request so I can get an idea of how best to welcome you!"

I think something like that would not be seen as overbearing or longwinded and, as a guest,  I would feel happy complying with that!

Cheers.....Rob

@Robin4 I like that very much, Robin, well done!

@Robin0  That's good, I'm stealing it. Thanks.

Hey Rebecca @Donald  @Ben @Mark @Rebecca  OMG I hope I got that corrrect.

Okay just for fun, I was a Superhost, bookings coming in left rightand center, amazing people with brilliant profiles, then I got Smurps, with opionions, and worse.  

AND I REALLY ONLY WANT THE AIRBNB FAMILY

The question: As a host do you want Airbnb:

A... Super one night guests

B...One night guests

C... Guests

Or

D...any guests

IF you had asked me a year ago...It would only be Airbnb, it should only be Airbnb

@Paul584   I want zero one night guests, super or otherwise.  They are too much trouble for too little reward.  Considering the cleaning, staging, extras, etc. it's not worth it.

I just want guests, from Airbnb, but totally invisable on the Airbnb platform. 1 nighters are grand, but as you know its allot of work, and yet the guests are typically fantastic.