I’m new to this and want to sound off...... My guest cancelled on day of arrival

Amanda842
Level 2
Ashford, United Kingdom

I’m new to this and want to sound off...... My guest cancelled on day of arrival

She messaged to say they were unable to come and could she cancel, I said she could try via the Airbnb website but but cancellation policy was 48 hours prior to arrival, she then managed via the website to ask to change the date to a future one and it was left up to me to say yes or no, being a wimp I said yes but I felt really annoyed it was left to me to make the decision!  The whole point of me joining a booking agency is to take the stress out of this sort of embarrassment, I ended up with a loss of earnings for the weekend with no chance of anyone else booking at that late notice.  How can Airbnb let people just alter their booking on the day of arrival!! My fault for saying yes I know.  

8 Replies 8
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Amanda842,

A guest can allways change a reservation, even during the stay. But it is up to you to confirm the change, and you did say "yes". I understand your frustration, but next time be more strict !

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Amanda842 I'm afraid you may have been hoodwinked into believing Airbnb is as stress-free as the smiley ads on the Tube. Just say no in future and remember this doesn't happen very often (fingers crossed).   

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

This has happened more than once to me, all I can say is NO, NEIN, NON, IIE etc.

I am so sorry that your guest totally abused you like this. Next time, stop and think. Then think NO.

I have had guests genuinely need to change their date, (once because ring wasn't ready for proposal), but I tell them that at this late notice I cannot refund unless I get a booking to cover. They will cancel rather than just not show, because if they cancel the calendar is opened up and I just might get in a late one. Happy to refund in that case and I do.

The stress which Airbnb removes is that you don't have to handle money. The amount is calculated, charged, and you don't have to feel bad about charging (I am terrible with charging guests, hate the money side).

Kim610
Level 2
Gilbert, AZ

I had a guest that cancel the eveningof arrival due to weather (this was during my peak season). I thought I would be covered based on my cancelation policy. I was wrong. She called Airbnb and they issued her a full refund. I was dumbfounded.

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

@Amanda842that's just horrible.  I'm sorry you were put in this position, it's unfair and rotten behaviour on the part of the guest... it's times like these I like to believe in karma...

Amanda842
Level 2
Ashford, United Kingdom

Haha! Yes like me cancelling their booking on the day they’re due to arrive 😂

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Amanda842

Because it a few clicks on an application and no real loss to Airbnb, while you on the other hand had to deal with the fall out and loss of earnings.

Amanda842
Level 2
Ashford, United Kingdom

I’m learning!