I'm spoiling airbnb guests and raising the bar because I actually care. Who knew?!

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

I'm spoiling airbnb guests and raising the bar because I actually care. Who knew?!

We had a really fun and interesting family from the UK stay with us last summer. They (just mom & dad) are back in the USA now but vacationing on the wet coast. I guess we spoiled them here in Georgia last year because I recieved this message from him recently about his current airbnb stays...

Hi Donald. Can you tell me as an Airbnb host what the deal is with providing drinks , snacks and most importantly breakfast ? As you set a very high bench mark we have been very disappointed with basic provisions on this trip.

I responded and told him that I do actually care about my guests stay and make an extra effort to be sure they're comfortable. 

Well we are totally aware you go above and beyond but we would rather pay another $10 on the price to save having to go out again and search for coffee, milk and cerial after a day driving. I have mentioned this to all our hosts so far. Some agree but one came back with "You broke our futon!" ... we didn't break their futon at all. Thanks for the info. I will contact Airbnb about it i think. Tell them to warn all travellers of the dangers of staying in California! Lol. Thanks Donald

I responded that many airbnb hosts are just letting you stay on their property to help make their sky high mortgage payment and they're actually kind of put-off by you being there. 

I am now realising this , its very apparent here that we are just paying the mortgage! The futon woman had all these notes pinned all over the kitchen from people raving about how great it was there, ....it wasn't and i told her.

39 Replies 39
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Donald28 We also try to set the bar high for an entire house. We seem to be doing so based on reviews at AirBnB and HA. Private comments have been excellent and we actually wish they would have put them in their public reviews. I have stayed at VR's all over the world and what I did when I set this place up was to make sure every wish I had when staying in one was found in my place. If I use it or need it in my personal home, it is added to my VR. Everything from spices to emergency snacks like PBJ's for children or waffle mix, a loaf of bread, butter and eggs for breakfast etc. are there.  We are in the process of re-doing the cottage on the property and it will be furished and stocked the same way when it's finally available. 

Personally, if I saw somebody else's food in the fridge or cupboards I wouldn't eat it . Who knows how long it's been there? Do you buy each new guest a loaf of bread? I wouln't eat out of half eaten loaf of bread. Who's hands have been in it? I provide oil, salt, pepper, granola bars, coffee and tea and those items are barely used. I have stayed in places and I don't even use the ketchup 

@Mindy41    Say what? I'm quite sure @Letitia does not leave half-eaten loaves of bread, or a half used bar of butter with crumbs all over it for her guests, nor is it "somebody elses' food", it is stocked for the new guests.   

That stuff is bought brand new for every guest? That's what I'm asking? It seems expensive

@Mindy41 It is expensive. As @Sarah977 says we don't leave out half used butter or a half loaf of bread lol. We keep fresh new sticks of butter in the freezer, place fresh eggs and bread for each group, also if the peanut butter is opened we remove the old one and put in a new one in the rental (we buy in bluk). I'm pretty sure the cleaning crew uses the opened items themselves, in addition to liquor left by the guest which I do not leave in the rental either. The spices are the only thing we do not remove when opened. We do replace them when emtpy and check all dates on them, it's up to the guest if they want to use them or not. 

I like your added touches, but I think in our circumstance I would be throwing away too much stuff. I have been at places where half boxes of pancake mix and things have been in the cupboard and I thought it made the place look dirty. On the otherhand, I stayed at places that had breakfast items beautifully displayed on a tray but had hefty price tags next to them with a bank for collection.

I have thought about how much to offer without wasting. I offer granola bars because they are sealed and presented well and they seem to get used. However, I have instant oatmeal cups  that haven't been touched, so that's why I wonder, how much is too much.

I think I will take this suggestion and go half way with it, I can offer to stock there apartment when they book and offer several different care-packages that already have suggested items Although, I think it would have to come with a fee, or,  just leave the reciept for reimbursement. 

After reading some of these comments, I'm starting to wonder if guests will start expecting this type of service from everyone. When I first heard of AiR  5 years ago, my college neighbor offered the futon in his dorm room as a place to stay and that was always enough if not better than enough. Now we have to offer breakfast for a 5 star?  It's discouraging me. 

@Mindy0  While most of us wouldn't find someone else's leftover food too appealing, I can think of one demographic that mostly wouldn't mind at all- 18-30 year old men. In my experience, if it looks and smells like food, they'll eat it. "Hey Dude, sweet! Look at all the food the last guests left! We scored big time. There's even a quarter jar of peanut butter and a couple teaspoons of jam leftover- I'm makin' a sandwich- want one?"

@Mindy0  Which oil do you provide your guest and how much ?? Thanks !!!

I provide olive oil from our local co-op which is buy in bulk-refill, so I leave a nice ceramic 10oz oil dispenser with a tip. When I clean, I always make sure the condiment tray gets wiped down really well so there isn't oily fingerprints.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Mindy41 

We also provide basic necessities, such as coffee, tea, spices, spaghetti, a couple jars of bottled sauces, bottled water, fresh bread and/baguettes & croissants from a local bakery, a bag of crisps, butter, a couple of small jars of jam, fresh picked oranges (we have trees and there's an electric juicer in the villa), milk, a few beers, and usually a bottle or two of locally produced wines, which we buy inexpensively from a local wholesaler.

Of course also the practical necessities like paper towels, dishwasher tabs, small tubes of toothpaste, soap, shampoo & rinse, tampons, hand creme, and cleaning supplies... which we also buy in bulk at wholesale prices. The average cost per booking is only about 25€.

As others have pointed out, we also wouldn't ever leave "used" food or other things. No. Never. Everthing new & sealed. Except for the fresh bread & oranges, etc. 

But I can assure you, guests absolutely love this, especially after a long flight, the last thing they want to do is go shopping. And especially if they arrive late and are forced to shop at the petrol station, where you get very little choice for triple the price of anywhere else. 

They rarely consume it all, often never even opening some packages, but they often remark positively about it in their reviews. It's money well spent. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Donald28 Yeah Donald you sure do have a reputation for going above and beyond, this has come through before in your posts and you really are a great host, the essense of hosting.

Providing extras is a double edged sword thoughDon, as you can see from our listing we provide a lot too, a complimentary cheese plate, fruit, even a beer or two in the fridge and this sort of message/call comes up at times from past guests, and you do have to explain that all hosts are different, they each host to their own standard....there is a minimum expectation of what will be provided as far as Airbnb are concerned. They make silly statements like, 'Stock the cupboards and fridge with Bagels and water' and stuff like that, but it is the hosts call as to how far they go with the condiments guests get. You just happen to be one of the better ones and these guests are lucky to have come across you Don.

You can go too far though, because you not only set the bar very high for other hostings, you create a standard which you always need to meet for yourself otherwise it can bounce back on you in future reviews.

I am a 'hands on' host and that comes through in the reviews, but, on occasions after a bit of chat I will share an evening meal with my guests, and I don't mean just a bit of a snack, I serve a full on meal because I love cooking and I have to do it for myself anyway, why not just up the quantity a bit! It has now got to the point where both the guest and I will talk about this and we both agree to make a point of not bringing that into the review because it gives future guests the impression they are automatically going to get a meal thrown in, and are disappointed when it may not happen.

@Letti0  Letti, it's nice to be able to make the most of those wonderful comments you get but, you will find after a while, the reviews are what drives your business and if you are going to have a desire be that bit better it will show through in the reviews and it does create an expectation. I have learned over this past year....'the less a guest expects, the more they will be delighted with what they get'. So now, in the reviews we keep to the basics and leave the rest in the private feedback...that works better, nobody is disappointed!

Cheers......Rob 

Rob I agree, I too have told some guests please don't mention that I let you watch a movie in our home media room (120" projection TV) OR don't mention that I let you use our laundry OR don't mention that I paid for & brought fast food breakfast to you OR please don't mention that I gave you a nice bottle of wine OR offered you drinks from out wetbar OR mention that I gave you a free ride (32 miles round trip) to the airport. 

I feel that the basics that I give (bottled water, soda, snacks, breakfast bars) are just basics that any cheap hotel will give. If ALL airbnb hosts aren't giving the basics that any low budget hotel would give, they're cheaping out & should rethink why they're even on Airbnb. 

@Donald28

" If ALL airbnb hosts aren't giving the basics that any low budget hotel would give, they're cheaping out & should rethink why they're even on Airbnb."

ha ha ... when your nightly prices are already below that of a bunk bed hostel, for the provision of entire properties ....you draw the line at providing breakfast bars and snacks...believe me 

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Doesn't sound like a very well organised guest.  Why would he have to go out again - can't he shop en route?  We backpacked around Asia for 30 months and to save costs we usually breakfasted in our room (hotel, guesthouse etc).  We carried our own coffee, cereal, sugar, and milk powder as well as 2 plastic bowls and 2 spoons, 2 metal beakers and a hot water boiler.  We'd just pick up fruit and yoghurt/fresh milk if there was a fridge.  And we had to carry it all in our backpacks.  Pah!

As a host I just provide a starter amount of tea, coffee, sugar, milk and a packet of biscuits, plus salt, pepper and cooking oil.  There are just too many variations in what people want to provide breakfast stuff, aside from the fact that it would add to the cost.  Just guessing the right kind of milk is bad enough. 

And as a guest it really annoys me when I turn up to find the fridge has been stocked with breakfast stuff when there was no mention of it in the listing, because I've already bought provisions on the way to the place!