I need advice and opinions: Cable vs local TV.

Jerry-and-Kerrie0
Level 3
Tarpon Springs, FL

I need advice and opinions: Cable vs local TV.

My husband and I have 2 listings (and our home) on our property. Both listings have smart TVs and what is considered the Basic+ package of Frontier cable.  After our granddaughter taught us the joys of Netflix, we have noticed that we personally barely watch cable TV anymore. Our cable bill is over $240.00/month. We are considering cutting the cable completely, upping our internet to the fastest we can get and offering local tv via an antenna (it seems to work great when we tested it) and access to our Netflix and HBO Now accounts. (Since, once you are logged in, they stay logged in. We wouldn't be handing out our passwords.) We also have DVD players with over 400 DVDs to choose from.

Has anyone else "cut the cable" in your rentals? Has there been any backlash from guests? Do you believe you have lost any rentals because you do not offer cable?

Thanks in advance for your opinions, thoughts, and suggestions!

Kerrie in Tarpon Springs, Florida

23 Replies 23
Jann3
Level 10
Santa Rosa, CA

Well @Jerry-and-Kerrie0, we are thinking of doing the opposite. We have Dish network and have a Hopper with 100+ channels. This system has one DVR and 4 "joeys" (basically 1" tall x 5" wide x 4" deep boxes attached to all other TV's in the house). Our service is $140/mo. I just worry that many people won't understand how Dish network operates and will have issues. We are thinking of adding Cable TV (basic) to our internet package through XFinity JUST for the AirBnB unit we're renting out.

It's not the cost, it's the fact that many people may want local TV and even DirecTV Now (via appletv) is something many wouldn't understand how to use. The Smart TV functions are great but again, many people could have issues with them.

I would personally not have an issue with it. All my TV is iTunes or Netflix...but I also suppose it's the amount you price your rental. Higher prices would necessitate more amenities such as Local and/or Cable TV. 

Keep us updated. My vote? Keep the cable for now. You can always shut it off later.

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

I have a fairly premium priced place and don't offer any TV at all. I've had 3 people out of 100 groups ask for it. Several more than that mentioned how nice it was to NOT have TV. The lounge is stocked with fun board games, music system and they can always connect to wi-fi with their own devices if they're desperate.

I'm sure that varies depending on what kind of group you're catering to and how much time they spend out of your place.

Isabel203
Level 10
Halifax, Canada

@Jerry-and-Kerrie0:  We switched out the cable for a Roku (for a grand total of $30) which essentially turned our regular flat screen into a Smart TV. We 've connected up Netflix and a couple freebie internet channels (news, old movies, etc). No regrets.  People have told me they prefer it to cable.

Don-and-Sandy0
Level 3
Pennsylvania, United States

Isabel - with Netflix,  do guests have access to your login and password, and if so, doesn't that put your Netflix account at risk?  

Not if you keep it logged in on the Roku.  The only issue is that if its your main account your viewing profile gets all out of whack.

You care about pleasing your guests

Karen-and-Will0
Level 10
Maryland, United States

@Jerry-and-Kerrie0: In our first beach house rental we only have the utmost basic cable.  You know the one that has only local channels.  The cable rep has to fumble around to figure out which package because it’s SO basic and no one ever gets it. As in, I would use an antenna but nothing comes in since things went digital so I need the package to just get the local channels.  In addition we have Netflix and Apple TV.  In our personal home we have the same and find it adequate.  We were concerned when we began renting the beach house others would balk at how basic it was.  It’s mentioned in the very beginning of the listing.  However, to our surprise we only have received positive comments.  When the news director for NBC booked our home I grew more worried.  But I knew it was there in the listing.  Guess what?  He had no problem with it and actually asked if I would be interviewed on camera related to our zero waste lifestyle he found in the house.  So I would suggest trying to cut back on cable as long as guests can get weather updates and the basics. Most people on vacation seem to be fine with it.  Worst case you have to reinstate the cable.  Hope this feedback helps.

@Jerry-and-Kerrie0

I don't have a TV in my home or listing (which is a guest room in my home) - and I mention this several times in my listing description.  I always end up watching TV in bed on my laptop with headphones anyway 🙂 Instead, I have the best high-speed internet service money can buy (everyone comments on how FAST it is) and we give guests info about online sites where they can watch (VOD) Korean TV shows with English subtitles (free membership) or apps they can use to watch TV (KBS World, Arirang TV, ABC News 24 Live, YTN Live etc.) with their phones. 

We haven't had any complaints about having no TV yet - except from my mom. No TV means my mom's visits tend to be short 🙂

Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

I have the terrace level apartment in my house listed, and I don't have cable TV in my house, but I have Roku for streaming. I put a small tv in the Airbnb apartment with a Roku also. I have Netflix, HULU, Amazon Prime, HBOGO, Showtime Anytime and a bunch of other channels because I can log in with my parents' Dishnetwork account. I also have a bunch of games and books

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

Hi @Jerry-and-Kerrie0 I have a full Dish package, all the premium channels. I have tvs in the sitting room and bedroom of the guest space. I don't allow the guests to use my Amazon Prime or my Netflix account, but they can sign in and use their own accounts if they like. We had this Dish package long before we did Airbnb, but I have been thinking more about cutting the chord because there is such a paucity of good material to watch these days. As a guest, I would expect a tv, but I think I wouldn't care that much about the level of the cable package. Honestly, I have not had a guest comment on the tv one way or the other, but I know I like to relax with a little tv watching after a big day exploring a city. I will probably switch to a more basic system at some point. 

Annette76
Level 10
Cherry Log, GA

I have been debating this for my loft rental. In my area (north Georgia mountains) we do have some weather concerns so I'd like my renters to have access to local weather reports. In spring we can get some serious thunderstorms with regular tornado watches and warnings. When we get wintry precipitation, due to the climate, it has a good chance of turning into an ice storm, as opposed to pretty, fluffy snow. So I'm planning on getting the most basic cable or satellite and add a roku for guests to use their own accounts. I also have close to 100 DVDs in the tv cabinet. 

I guess my other option is to have a weather radio on hand, but those are so annoying lol.  

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

I cut the cord 7 years ago.

I have never missed it.

Young boarders don't mind. They prefer faster internet.

While some guests want cable, I really don't want these guests. I prefer guests who are out and about.

Do you ask guests if they will be "out and about".  Why do you want them "out"?

Roberta150
Level 7
Flagstaff, AZ

Thank you so much for posting this thread. I've been hosting for six months very successfully but wondered if the DirectTV I have is worth the expense - I never watch it (can't stand commercials.) I have Netflix and high-speed Wifi internet, plus Smart TVs that they can sign into their personal accounts if they wish for HULU, Amazon, or whatever. With the monthly $20 cancellation fee for the 16 months remaining on the DirectTV contract, I will still save over $800 plus no future costs after that. That's a lot of money. As far as I know, only one guest specifically wanted to watch a basketball final on CBS upon arrival - a few guests have used the cable (I can tell when checking it after they leave) but most watch either nothing or Netflix, their laptops/tablets, or some of the many movies/TV series in my collection on the blu-ray/DVD player. 

But I was still unsure until I found this discussion. Since I'm booked through October into November with guests who may have seen on my listing that I offer DirectTV, I'll arrange the cancellation to be for the end of November. Am updating my listing now so any new bookings/guests know there's no cable TV after November. Thanks again - you've all helped me make my decision and saved me a lot of money over time. My area (Flagstaff, AZ) brings people visiting the Grand Canyon, Sedona, and other Southwest sites and they must leave my home during the day so I don't think it will be missed.