I need advice.

Christina1214
Level 2
Woodbridge, VA

I need advice.

I have a guest whose check in was anytime after 4pm.

They didn’t make it into their Airbnb until 12am 

they stayed two days and said they had a great time. 
but I just got a message from them saying if they can get a credit for the Friday they checked in at 12am. 
What is your opinion on that. I was their first stay, and how do I explain either that’s not my problem. They would need the day anyway even checking in that late. I don’t know how to word it and also should I just give like 25$ I think I shouldn’t. But I don’t know I keep going back and fourth. 

36 Replies 36
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Christina1214 

Airbnb bookings is about nights, so if they booked and stayed two nights, then why do they ask for some refund anyway. Very weird request from the guests.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

This sounds like one of those people who calls up their Telecom provider, wades through the myriad menu of "press 1 for sales, press 2 for technical support, press 3 for billing"... ...  Then after 20 minutes of elevator music, occasionally interrupted with " Your call is very important to us..." proceeds to complain about an 11 cent charge for a text that they don't think they ever made, and demands that it's removed from the bill. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Christina1214  Absolutely do not give them any refund. 

If they are so dense that they can't understand why, ask them if they hadn't booked that first night, meaning another guest would be staying there that night, if they expected that guest to get up at midnight and vacate the place so they could sleep there.

There's no fixing stupid.

Nancie5
Level 2
Connecticut, United States

You should not refund them at all.  Your place was available to them for the days they booked.  If they either chose to arrive late or were the victims of travel issues, that is on them.  They reserved for the dates they reserved for, and are way past any cancellation policy.  And, you were unable to make your space available to anyone else on that date.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Christina1214  No refund.  Their scheduling issue is not your problem.  The unit was available for them to check into and was blocked so no one else could book it for that night. 

I would say something like 'I understand you are disappointed that you weren't able to check in as early as you possibly intended, however, the unit was ready for you at XX time and could not have been booked by anyone else due to your reservation for that night'

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Christina1214 

as @Emiel1  and others said - short term rental, hotels, etc... always count nights, from check-in time to check-out time, in your case 4 pm - noon

It is not midnight to midnight

I can't believe a grown-up person doesn't know something so basic and you have to explain them.

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Christina1214 there are places that rent by the hour... Your place looks far too nice for that! 

@Christina1214   In this situation, I tell the guest that their payment is based on the time they've reserved the space for their use, rather than the time they're physically in it.

That's how all overnight accommodations work, not just Airbnbs. And even if the guest had never traveled at all before, presumably they've at least been to a movie, concert, or play - none of which refund part of your ticket price when you turn up an hour late.  You can explain this as gently or firmly as you feel is appropriate, but please don't throw any money at this person! They'll be a nightmare to future hosts if they don't learn this lesson about how life works.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Christina1214  I can almost picture them sitting in their car at a gas station at 10:30 PM, thinking that as long as it took them so much longer to get there than they planned, they might as well get something to eat and wait until just after midnight, so they could ask for a refund 🙂

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Christina1214 

Welcome to the community 😊

The guest  want you to step up and take action.

Responding to their concern is just one thing. Doing something to resolve their problem is another step to finally settle things. If it’s something that cannot be resolved immediately, offer them another option that will appease their misery.

I see your valid point. I am afraid I can't make it these times, perhaps on your next visit. Looking forward to see you again. Thank you.”

Happy Hosting ✌️

@Dale711  why would she promise she would do that next time? It would be a false promise and plain lie. It would give the guest a false feeling they could be right.

**Personal remarks hidden

@Branka-and-Silvia0   You said what everyone is thinking...so I guess another meltdown is on the way.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 @Anonymous  **

**Personal remarks hidden

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

I don't think there are any perfect answers and variety adds to the spice. If English is your second language you are making a great job of it but others are entitled to practice (have you thought of sending PM corrections?). Many of Dale's answers are much appreciated by people making enquiries here and no answer is an obligation to the person asking. His English is way better than my French. I appreciate the effort he puts in and his positivity. What is wrong with difference? 

@Sarah977  Why not make an effort in the French section? 

@Anonymous  No we don't all think along your lines. I note you anticipate being called out for the bully that you are.

I perceive the need for considerable difference to be expressed here in preference to the contempt that manifests over and over. 

I would like new people to feel welcome and very much appreciate all efforts made by newcomers to participate. 

Perhaps its time to set a limit on the numbers of years spent in the CC. I would like to thank all those who have served for so long.