I need to vent about guest not respecting time

Sion2
Level 10
SF, CA

I need to vent about guest not respecting time

Twice this month I have had guests let themselves in via the keypad and drop stuff off. One walked into the guest room that was occupied and dropped of their lugagge! So creepy.  For a 1.5 years NO ONE did this they all arranged to meet me at the door.  What is in the air this year? More requests for free stuff, lower prices and early check in with no regards for previous guests. I am in a hot area and have a high end room and bath and 99% 5 star rating and am seeing less views and bookings then last year. I think its the economy and people just being rude. Thanks for listening. 

31 Replies 31
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I know you are just venting, @Sion2, and not looking for answers necessarily, but are you able to change that keypad code for each guest? That keeps guests from getting in before check-in. Many hosts make it the last four digits of the guest's phone number. That's what works for me. I change it when I am cleaning and prepping. 

Excellant advice. I am looking at other types of keypads. Its just so odd that after a year and half fully booked this just started happening. Thanks so much!

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Sion2 So frustrating! and I'm sure these guests don't see any harm and are completely clueless to the stress it puts on you and the guests that are still in the room. Unfortunately you may have to adapt if this is going to keep happening more frequently. Is there any way to withhold the key code until check in time? Or give each guest a personalize code that won't allow access until the room has been cleaned/turned over? 

How do your guests enter? 

@Sion, I have a keyless entry doorknob on the front door. It's not very fancy, just something I bought at Home Depot for a little over $100. When I’m finished turning the space over, I program the last 4 digits of the guests registered cell phone number into the keypad. When I arrive to clean after they have checked out I delete their code and enter the new guest when I'm finished cleaning. When I send the check in instructions 3-5 days before they arrive, I tell them the space is guaranteed to them by 3pm and their code will give them access then. If they are going to be in the area earlier they can let me know and I will try to have the space available sooner. So far so good. But of course you are going to have some people who just ignore everything you’ve told them.

@Emilia42I do exactly the same: I use the Schlage Sense system and it was easy to install and the app is easy to use. We've now installed them on all of our doors, and I love it. The price wasn't bad either. @Sion2 If you're looking for this type of solution I would definitely recommend the Schlage brand. 

I am using the Schlage Key pad entry system now.  Its maunal, not a Smart App based system. I am thinking of moving to Smart so my household can get in with one code and I change the code for every new guest.  My new concern is that doing this means no letting people leave their lugge and retive it later...people love that service. 

Greetings @Sion2:

I am using the Schlage keypad system with their wireless/Internet module.  It can be controlled and monitored by my co-host and me remotely.  We can add, delete, or disable codes from any location with Wi-Fi access.  A notification is sent to us when the door is locked, unlocked, or jams.  We have also set it to automatically lock after 4 min. to "assist" the forgetful guest in securing the rental if s/he neglect to do so.

A unique code is provided for guests and it remains deactivated until AFTER the previous guest has departed and the cleaner has finished her work.  

Guests use a variation of their phone number to enter; we can lock/unlock door remotely if there is a problem; and there is a key in case of emergency.  No need for the guest to possess a cell phone (hint, hint @Ben).  We also use the lock codes to provide entry to our cleaner and repair people.

Let the community know what you decide to use and how well it solves your problem.

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Sion2 I am certainly sympathetic that you have guests that simply check in at any old time, but I have to say, if I wwere a guest at your place and someone else had the code for entry during my reservation, I would be on the phone to AirBNB so fast they wouldn't know what hit them.

Forget about guest pictures as a safety concern. You have guests using the same codes!!! That is a disaster waiting to happen. I hope that you will reconsider this practice

I change the codes often and after 1.5 years fully booked, no one has expressed the concern you have.  I live here and am around often and the room is locked. I am looking into some high tech keypads that can give indivual codes that only work at check in times. 

@Sion2. The guest who had another person come in and leave their luggage in their room didn't complain?

I misunderstood your arrangements, but upcoming guests presuming that they have access before their reservation begins is a security issue.

No, she did not she was out for breakfast, I was upset for her. I had made an appointment with them to greet them at the door and store their luggage in a storage area like I always do. The came ealier and just let themselves  in while I was not near the door. No knocking or doorbell ringing. I reported it to Airnnb asap and they made no sugggestions on how to fix this. I have clear instructions about not entering prior to check in that are being ignored. Yes, this is a security  issue and if you read this thread I am getting some great  advice:) 

Ben551
Level 10
Wellington, New Zealand

Wow @Sion2  that's crazy behaviour.  You're so lucky your other guest was out for breakfast!   I definitely think you should invest in a smart lock that has the code changed for each guest. 

I'm currently considering installing an August Smart Lock.  It creates virtual keys that are unique for each guest, plus you can still open the door with a key as a backup option for people without a smart phone (yes, I have come to learn that they do exist).

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Sion2

As a guest and host, that is just rude and weird to assume you can just enter the place prior to your check-in time. As others have suggested, it's a great idea to change the code for each guest.

I do this and the code is not active until check-in time, so I never have to worry about someone letting themselves in early.

I also ask for ETA within an hour and it seems in the past few months people have started to ignore this request so I'm considering sending a message that as soon as I get an ETA, only THEN will the guest get the code to check-in!