I need to vent

Rachael171
Level 6
Greensboro, NC

I need to vent

If I could create a meme on what it's like to be an Airbnb host, it would be something like this:

Host:

Spends hours creating an immaculately clean space and comfortable/hospitable stay. Creates highly detailed listing and guidebook, immediately responds to every guest text. Leaves complimentary snacks. Gives deep discounts for long term stays, etc. etc.

Guest:

*messages host* I found a crumb of dirt and an ant!! This place is a dump!!!!

Host:

*comes to clean after the guest checks out* ...Entire place is trashed.

Guest:

That's bull**bleep**!! I left the place in great condition! I refuse to pay for [fill in the blank]. *threatens host with bad review.*

*****Please share with me your nightmare guest experiences and help me feel better about the **bleep** I've hosted recently. 🙂

105 Replies 105

@Fred13 

Ahahahahaha!!!! It's so true that it hurts. 

@Rachael171  No nightmare stories but can understand how it could happen.  I once had a guest grossly exaggerate negative aspects of my place (ones no other guest had ever mentioned) obviously for the sole purpose of getting a refund from airbnb.  And they got it.  What I learned from that experience, airbnb CS made it too easy for them, I suppose because airbnb takes the refund from the host.  

Airbnb should add controls to cut down on "revenge reviews".  For example, if a host requests money for damages and provides proof of the damages, the guest's revenge review should be automatically removed.  Without question.

@Dave52 

Exactly!! I agree 100%.

After I submitted a damage claim, this recent horror guest of mine said to me in his emails: "I was going to give you a good review. So ask yourself is $127 really worth it for a bad review?" Then he started to list a bunch of arbitrary stuff that he was going to complain about, but had never complained about during his 2-month stay!!

He is flat out trying to extort me. I said, if you want to leave me a bad review simply because I'm asking you to pay for what you damaged, then that's up to you and I'll respond to your review with that information.

There are some awful people out there. 

I've recently upped all my requirements: increased my cleaning fee, increased my nightly rate, will require government ID, etc. I've just had it at this point. I've honestly had better, more respectful guests through VRBO. Maybe because they're willing to put down a deposit upfront on VRBO.

@Rachael171 This is why airbnb should add an *automatic* feature to remove reviews when the guest has a damage claim against them, to cut down on "revenge reviews" and threats.  It doesn't cost a guest anything to have their revenge review removed, but it costs the host dearly and it doesn't do anything for the integrity of the airbnb community, future guests are not given an accurate representation of the listing.  I was successful in having a revenge review removed in the year B.C. (Before Coronavirus), it took a few days, so you should still give it a try, especially since you have a message trail with threats as proof.  Hopefully you will be able to get in touch with airbnb because as far as I know, removing a guest revenge review, currently requires their intervention which is unfortunately next to impossible.  Hence adding the automatic feature.

@Dave52 

Thank you for the support. 🙂 Right, getting a customer service callback takes DAYS lately.

You're saying a guest can automatically remove their bad reviews?

@Rachael171 No.  What I said, in my opinion, if a guest has a valid damage claim against them by the host, with proof provided (photos, etc), that guest's review of the host should be automatically blocked or removed.   This would stop some revenge reviews and threats of revenge reviews.  But it doesn't currently work this way and would need to be programmed by airbnb.  Good luck getting in touch with them.

@Dave52 

Thank you!

@Rachel171  thst actually is extortion and a breach of ToS do a help search.  consider reporting him if you have it in writing

~~~~~~~
like nikey: just do it
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Rachael171 "*****Please share with me your nightmare guest experiences and help me feel better about the assholes I've hosted recently."    LoL, I missed this line. 

The Airbnb STR system is full of pitfalls and is not easy to host with it smoothly. The 'deposit' is not really a deposit, damage claims are an open adventure, its customer service is all over the place, the Host Guarantee is snake-oil salesmanship,  the review system is easily abused and the mentality of Airbnb usually leans toward pandering to the general public (i.e. guests) not the host. So why are so many hosts with them?

The Airbnb model brings the most customers for most hosts, because they do lean toward the guest and the hosts are paying the lowest fee with Airbnb than would with any other hosting platform.

That is the trade off, can it be better, of course, but "that is what it is'. I  think it behooves all hosts to do everything in their power to not allow a 'problem' with a guest to arise in the first place and get Airbnb involved with anything. This could be helped by: charging more (better clientele), strip their rental of amenities that can cause 'issues',  to constantly adjust immediately to the latest 'lesson' from the last guest and above all - let the small things go. I see you are already working on some of these - good moves.

@Fred13 

Very well said. Your last paragraph is EXCELLENT advice to all hosts, because, yes, I'm discovering....

1. The host-required security deposit means nothing

2. Your House Rules mean nothing

3. If you're depending on Airbnb to mediate a situation... then good luck!! It takes customer service several DAYS to reply to anything and then they usually side with the guest. So get all your extra fees upfront from the guest. 

So, yes, this week I've raised my nightly rate, raised my cleaning fee and lowered my weekly and monthly discounts. For a long time now, I've never kept anything super nice at my Airbnb, because people will just f*ck it up. I used to try to offer nicer amenities like a Keurig, for example, but then of course some idiot just broke it straight away.

As far as ignoring the smaller stuff... yeah I do that too. But then it just becomes death by a thousand cuts, and all those small stains, scratches, etc. add up over time to bring down the overall appearance of your place. 

Is that true that Airbnb offers the lowest service fees for hosts? I've found that VRBO has wayyyyyy better customer service, the guests are better (because of the upfront deposit), and VRBO/Home Away appears to link to sites like Expedia, so it gets pretty good traffic.

VRBO is a pleasure, 15% of my bookings come from them.

You got the flick, make the guest pay and then if ones breaks something easier to forgive.  I rather rent less, but for more. Lastly, I deviate from the Airbnb official policy all the time and in a million small ways; in turn, they get at least 80 $3-$4k bookings a year from me and the place is a good lead item for them. They leave me alone, I leave them alone. 🙂

@Fred13

What? Like how? Tell me your ways. I can try to share my email with you. 

@Fred13   I share your hosting philosophy to the letter.  Well said!

Hi Fred,

I was in Placencia with a friend last November.  Lovely place and I would live to get back there when all of the corona virus nonsense is over.  Where in Placencia is your listing?  I would love to list with an ABNB host everywhere I go.

Missed your post, just stumbled on it @Nima11 . It is Bird Island Placencia (https://www.airbnb.com/manage-your-space/4869137/details); it is only 6 miles out of town. You are always most welcomed to stop by our tour office (Privasea) when next in Placencia. 

( I hope this doesn't qualify as advertising, not meant to be).