I need to vent

Rachael171
Level 6
Greensboro, NC

I need to vent

If I could create a meme on what it's like to be an Airbnb host, it would be something like this:

Host:

Spends hours creating an immaculately clean space and comfortable/hospitable stay. Creates highly detailed listing and guidebook, immediately responds to every guest text. Leaves complimentary snacks. Gives deep discounts for long term stays, etc. etc.

Guest:

*messages host* I found a crumb of dirt and an ant!! This place is a dump!!!!

Host:

*comes to clean after the guest checks out* ...Entire place is trashed.

Guest:

That's bull**bleep**!! I left the place in great condition! I refuse to pay for [fill in the blank]. *threatens host with bad review.*

*****Please share with me your nightmare guest experiences and help me feel better about the **bleep** I've hosted recently. 🙂

105 Replies 105
Bradford11
Level 2
Anchorage, AK

@Helen3  So your rent out your primary home and stay somewhere else when rented? Or just rent a room out of your home? Just gauging what perspective you’re coming from as a host. 

I rent a whole separate 2-bedroom/2 bath condo.

How's your experience in Anchorage, Bradford?

I can play

Family that traveled cross country last year. Stopped at my place on the way back to Michigan. Complained that my place was dirty and I had ants. I came over to inspect - took video - no ants. Reclean the space just to be safe and also caulked any potential cracks.

Her kids eat up all the snacks, she does weeks of laundry (free), then leaves crumbs all over my dining room rug and the kitchen is in disarray as are the bedrooms.

She complains to Airbnb that my place is dirty (previous guest and subsequent guest rated it "squeaky clean). Her specific comment about the dirt? My "baseboards" had dust on them.

Honestly - you get a few of these, but the vast majority of my guests have been appreciative and fun.

What I'm concerned about now is that two of my local colleagues got requests from a kid. The first request was declined but the girl was somehow able to instant book another host. She wanted to do something fun for her 14th birthday. Parents texted demanding their money back.

Is Airbnb vetting guests any more, or just packing them in to get the revenue up in advance of an IPO?

I wonder if it occurred to them they could make money if they would just be a booking agent and get out of the way otherwise. Otherwise vett the guests and take all financial responsibility for their actions. But it appears they want to do neither.

Thank you, Christine! Feels good sometimes just to commiserate with someone else. I agree that 90% of guests are no problem. It just feels like I've had a string of bad ones lately. On the plus side, at least I'm still bringing in SOME money during COVID. 

Thanks again, Christine. Much love to you. ♥️

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Rachael171  Uugghhh, I feel your pain.  Like @Christine615 and @Helen3, almost all of my guests have been great.  But one recently ruined a set of sheets, wouldn't answer my message asking what it was so I could try to get the stain out, left me a 3 for cleanliness, then, when asked to pay for the sheets, said I shouldn't have such nice ones at an Airbnb.  I had to laugh at that because it's not as if she refused to sleep on them!  I honestly don't mind about the sheets - things happen, and to my surprise Airbnb stepped in and paid! - but I don't like toxic people and that's what she was.

Oh wow, so she refused to pay for the sheets and Airbnb let her get away with that? 

I just don't get it. These people know what they do. They know when they've broken something or left something really really dirty, and then they have the nerve to act all innocent!!

@Rachael171  Toxic people, what can I say?  Airbnb didn't really let her get away with it - I mean, they couldn't force her, but when she refused to pay, they paid, no questions asked.  So I'm happy with the outcome.

That's cool. I just thought they could make her pay through the security deposit that you set in your listing.

Anyway, take care during these crazy times!! 🤗

@Rachael171  They don't actually hold the security deposit - that's more of a warning, or even weaker than that, a suggestion - so they have to ask the guest for the money.  If the guest says no, Airbnb either steps in or it doesn't.

@Ann72 Oh really? Wow, if that's the case, that's a sh*t business model. I had a call recently with a customer service rep and I specifically asked if the guest got charged the security deposit upon booking, and that particular rep said yes. And that if there were no damage claims, then the deposit was released 14 days after checkout. 

But now you've got me curious and I'm going to ask the next rep I talk to about my current damage claim. Because I just upped my security deposit to $300.

I know on VRBO, the guest really does have to put down the refundable deposit upfront. 

@Rachael171  Yes, it's just noted at the bottom of the listing page under Things to Know->Safety & Property:

"Security Deposit - if you damage the home, you may be charged up to $250."

Screenshot 2020-08-01 08.28.02.pngAs you can see, it's not included in the charges to the guest for the reservation.

So exactly, what kind of business would rather pay* for damage out of its own pockets than simply collecting and holding those funds temporarily?  I can't fathom it, either.

*possibly, sometimes, occasionally

@Ann72 

Oh my gosh, you're right.

"Host-required security deposits are different from Airbnb-required security deposits in that no authorization hold will be placed. Guests will only be charged if a host requests to collect on their security deposit. Depending on what was damaged, the amount the host requests may or may not be the same as the security deposit."

"Before requiring a security deposit, hosts should understand that not all property damage caused by guests is within the terms of the Host Guarantee. Exclusions may include general cleaning, ordinary wear and tear, and non-physical damages like smoking fines and broken House Rules."

You possibly can't collect on the deposit if they smoke, if extra cleaning is required, or if they break other house rules??? WTF?? Why even bother listing house rules in the first place then? Smh.

The other possibility is that by doing this, Airbnb attracts more guests but then can weasel out of reimbursing the host for damages.

@Rachael171  Yes, attracting more guests at lower prices is their be-all-and-end-all.

hmmm. you sure?  thought tbat money was a SEPARATE CC hold 

~~~~~~~
like nikey: just do it