I quit my successful Airbnb rental because of the review system

Manon87
Level 5
Edmundston, Canada

I quit my successful Airbnb rental because of the review system

That's it, I quit.

I am counting the weeks before I can walk away from Airbnb. I hosted hundreds of guests in a little over a year, and what started and a very pleasant experiance, now has become source of constant stress and anxiety. All the good things about hosting have been taken away by the now flawed review system.

Last summer, I used to say that Airbnb was a blessing in my life;  It was a pleasure to host people from around the world plus it was a good source of supplemental income. 

It was also a blessing for people who needed a break in their journey(I am located right in the middle of two large metropolis that are 18hours of driving away). My place was a convenient stop at very modest cost and guests were very appreciative. 

Now, Airbnb accounts for 15% of my income but also, 90% of the stress in my personal and work life combined. Not worth it. In the last few months, I also feel that the type of guests have changed, they are reviewing us like hotel cutomers would, not understanding the harm it causes hosts. The highest hotel rating in my area is 8.9/10. Airbnb rating system is asking us to remain at 4.8 or higher to keep our superhost status, that's 9.6/10. If Airbnb is attracting more hotel customers, they have to adjust their rating system to adapt to these new guests.

I asked myslef what could be done to keep my rating up, I have doubled my operating costs and time invested compared to last summer to improve guest's stay and, it did nothing. It did not change the rating I am getting. If anything, I have lost a few percentage points. Another downside is that it keeps me from raising my prices in fear that a higher price would affect the reviews negatively while I am having close to 100% occupancy during the summer months.

The current review system is not helping us improve guest's stay, it only creates stress and anxiety on the hosts. It would be better if guests told us what could be done to improve their experience before leaving a review without even undertsanding what it means.

Guests are leaving four stars with great comments in their reviews. THEY ARE NOT LEAVING US ANY CUES FOR WHAT COULD BE IMPROVED!  If I don't know why they are leaving a four star, how can I fix it??!! I don't think they even know themselves sometimes. 

It was a wise decision to open my calendar only 90days in advance, so I don't have to commit to hosting on Airbnb any longer. --Walking out

55 Replies 55
Mae8
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

AGREED 100%.

Whoever did this at Airbnb didnt listen to the CUSTOMER. This is a fundamental principle in business. 

Here is a real world example:

We are Airbnb's largest customer in terms of global reach. Last year, we had a pool undergo renovation. We received some bad reviews for this. Fair enough. However now that the reviews are not in chronological order, every two days we receive an inquiry asking us if the pool is still under renovation.  This defeats the whole review process. CHRONOLOGICAL REVIEWS SHOW A HOSTS ABILITY TO RESOLVE AND FIX ISSUES. THIS IS WHAT MAKES A GREAT HOST. WHEN AIRNB REMOVES THE CHRONOLOGICAL ORDER, GUESTS DO NOT KNOW IF THE PROBLEMS HAVE BEEN RESOLVED.  THE REVIEWS ARE NO LONGER AN ACCURATE TESTIMONIAL OF THE LISTING.

Now picking a good Airbnb to stay in is like playing the lottery - you hope you get a winner, but you really dont know because you are now guessing.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Manon87

Keep in mind that, at this point, future guests cannot see the star ratings. They can only see the written glowing reviews. There was a time when the individual overall star rating was included with the guests written review for all the public to see. This would stress me out to the max! Now I am only considered on how the written review will affect future bookings. Your reviews look great and your place is beautiful. Don't let Airbnb discouraged you! Take a short break (maybe go on a mini vacation yourself) and then get back to it and collect all the money you possibly can!

Good points, Emilia, and it pays to be optimistic, usually, although the frustrations are real.  Here's what is happened to us recently: my wife's mother died recently and we had to cancel on a guest because of funeral arrangements as well as another reason.  We are now sent an email threatening suspension, given notification on our reviews about canceling on a guest ahead of a stay (even though it was two days after he booked), and denied Superhost status for a year. It's a system slanted toward the guests and indifferent to hosts who open their homes at considerable effort and inconvenience. Meanwhile, prices are falling because of market saturation. 

Russell68
Level 4
Toronto, Canada

Dear@Manon. Negative reviews can feel hurtful and unfair.  Especially when they are based on falsehoods or failing to read/understand the entire listing.   Or when they are coming from guests who have no reviews, have little info on their bios, have a history of behaving badly, or have little experience on Airbnb or in life.

I think it is good to read them, try to learn from them,  but to try not to become too sensitive to them.

I would think that people who work in the hotel industry are used to them?

I disagree with Russell. in those best hotels in the world, the floor manager still makes the final decision. I had a some requirement hasn't been full filled with the 5star deluxe hotels I stayed, because i was told they are unreasonable. However, whatever the request from the guest, as long as they request from AirBnb, they are making their decision from miles away, and the guest always right. It's a pity.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Manon87

I hope that the community managers @ Lizzie pass what you have wrote along and that the Airbnb team take it into consideration.

I have already suggested in another topic that, before making the final assessement about the superhost status and any item that may have influence on the listing ranking, that Airbnb should automatically disconsider one of the worst reviews in termos of stars. It would avoid computing reviews that are completely out of normal course. Actually, to be fair and to adopt this system, it would be necessary to disconsider one of the best reviews as well, to produce a balanced result.

Ligia18
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

@Manon87 if you are no longer enjoying the experience, take a break before you make your final decision.

I agree, the rating system is a source of stress and it's immensely frustrating. I consistently get 5 stars and I'm baffled how guests would give my listing 4 stars for location. I mean THEY PICKED THE LOCATION how is that my problem if they didn't like it?

I also take great issue at the focus on beign a Super Host. I challenged the system last year because it's based on volume, not on quality. I get a long of long-term bookings from medical students (I'm 2 blocks for our new super hospital). Last summer I had the loveliest guest for 2 months. Naturally, I will never attain Super Host status if I keep booking long-terms because I can't reach the 10 booking requirement.

I have given hope on that because I prefer having 1 person for a few months and have a steady source of income than some stupid fake badge that basically means you can clean the room and turn it around quickly.

#RantOver 🙂

Luxstay1
Level 2
Pasadena, CA

We experience the same. When I travel, I only stay in 5 star deluxe hotels, I'm using the 5 star deluxe hotels standard to run my Airbnb. However, the review system seems to make it almost impossible to meet the requirement! I really hope AirBnB can fix it. I'm really disappointed.

Norma160
Level 2
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

I own 2 vacation rentals and have received over 200 4 and 5 star reviews. Having said that I have just removed my properties from AirBNB as they did not support me when two separate guests damaged my property.I know of three other homeowners that have also removed their properties for the same reason. While not all homeowners are alike, some of us take our job very seriously and work hard to offer our guests a fabulous experience. But when a guest has a bad review and I'm supposedly considered a super host, I expect them to take my word first.(yes, I included pictures and quotes) They've just managed to wipe out a months worth of profits. I'm done!

Eleanor-And-Declan0
Level 3
Killarney, Ireland

I feel exactly the same way, coming to the end of our bookings now and counting it down. Makes me completely miserable and the lack of personal space is not worth it.

Maxine88
Level 2
Washington, DC

I don't blame you.  I have also lost the enthusiasm for Air BnB.  You are giving guests so much more than they get at a hotel.  Flexible check in and out times, privacy they'd never get at a hotel, parking right at the door--heck, I even leave breakfast.  It takes time to keep the place clean and well appointed and people either don't leave reviews or they act as if they are expecting a five star hotel for less than they'd pay for a flea bag downtown.  And Air BnB penalizes you and your guests for cancellations way more than a hotel would ever dream of.  More trouble than it's worth.

Correct , yet am not too concerned 🙂 Other avenues ! Sort of works for me ! 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Maxine88 

As long as I live, I will never understand Airbnb's rating system. Every day I see stuff on here I just can't believe!

You Maxine have 4 reviews, one of which is a host cancellation (the greatest hosting cardinal sin) and yet you have a straight 5 star Airbnb rating......what th!

I have 299 reviews, 278 of which have been 5 stars all the way, 14 of those 299 have been 5 stars in every category but a 4 overall. I have never cancelled a guest reservation and yet my overall rating sits on 4.93.

The original poster of this thread was totally correct, this has got to be the most totally dysfunctional review rating system ever devised!

Cheers......Rob

And that host cancellation gave the guest a solid two months to find another accommodation. And Air BnB were kind of jerky about that as it is.  The guest was hardly phased.  For all the time an effort I put into it in the last two years, it's not worth the trouble unless I have no other income stream or I'm retired and have time to deal with it.  I'm loving the space as my "living room," the place my pets don't go to shed, an extra kitchen for parties, my bike trainer set up in front of a smart TV--all the stuff that crowds my chaotic upstairs now down there, but the Feng shui is perfect.  And still extra bathroom, laundry, and bedroom for guests.  I may change my mind, but for now, so over Air BnB. 

Scott162
Level 2
East London, ZA

Totally agree ! 

I got the 'review warning ' , from a guest that felt privileged booked for one was 2 ! 

I should have have insisted ! 

I am budget ! Almost cheapest in town ! 

Yes , the grass was long , it has rained a lot ! 

Clutter in the yard , yes a bit ! 

I got a minus for having my work truck in my yard . 

What really gets my goat is Location and Accuracy . 

Scored 1 star each ! 

Was happy to stay there ! 

The daughter let slip that they had to leave the previous 'rental' 

What also irks me is the dismissive attitude of ABnB , case closed , go whats yourself ! 

Have also considered an upgrade and the cost . 

More than enough stress ! 

My location is prime in our city , quiet, can walk to beach , pretty safely in 20 mins .Shopping centre , Spar Wimpy 1 km away . 

All on my page ! 

Client tried to book in at 42 , not 67 🙂 

I get 1 star ? 

Am really not in this to make ca$h , yet for the price I have a unique stay . 

TBT , my bookings do not look at reviews ! 

And the good stays do not leave a review ! 

Should be compulsory !