I don't like Airbnb’s rating system and wish they would either change it or for someone to make a good competitor for Airbnb

Aya2119
Level 2
Voorhees Township, NJ

I don't like Airbnb’s rating system and wish they would either change it or for someone to make a good competitor for Airbnb

I have been hosting with Airbnb since August 2020 and the entire process has not been pleasant. I have been a super host since April 2021 (I missed the January 2021 date bevause I didn’t meet the number of bookings requirements). I go above and beyond for all my guests. The condo is always extremely clean and well stocked and have been left welcome baskets and treats when I know there is a special occasion or when kids are coming. The majority of my guests have left me stellar reviews. Unfortunately the few that haven’t are pushing me to the brink of potentially losing my super host status. None of it is even based on anything. Some have done 4s all around just for the sake of doing it and literally have no complaints, others have given me 5s in all categories and 4 overall again with no complaints and stellar reviews. A couple have been valid (I put I had double beds when they are in fact singles (honest mistake but I get the issue)) while others complained about having to buy toilet paper after staying there for more than a week (I stock basic necessities even though my listing says I don’t provide essentials and I charge according to that). But in the end, I found the entire rating system sooo confusing for guests and so skewed to them. 

I just don’t get it. I guess Airbnb has nothing to lose because us Hosts continue to list our places on the platform but I really thing they entire thing needs to be revised. I am so frustrated with it and just wish and hope another platform garners some attention like Airbnb and we can all just switch. 

i guess this is nothing more than my venting but I really needed to. Haha

thank you if you are still reading. 

Tittle updated by OCM

18 Replies 18
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Aya2119  You have wonderful reviews. Stop paying attention to or caring about the ratings or Superhost. That isn't what hosting is about. If you are getting bookings and your guests are happy and appreciative, which they certainly seem to be,and you are making money and enjoy hosting, that is all that matters.

Ratings and Superhost are an artificial construct designed to keep hosts stressed out, and see, it's working- it's stressing you out and upsetting you!

Forget about all that, you'll be amazed at how much freer you will feel. 

(But yes, I would love for a viable competitor to come along, one that didn't treat its hosts like misbehaving children)

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Aya2119 

The Superhost and review system will never change, it's not designed to work in our favour it's designed to make us compliant- which as Sarah says, makes us stressed out if we allow it.

I have many clients I co-host for who have gained, lost and regained Superhost, and it has never made a difference to the level of bookings or pricing or standing on the platform.

If you ask the average guest what a Superhost is, they won't know- ask the average host and every single one knows...because it's something airbnb makes us aspire to become, but most importantly makes us fearful of losing once gained.

Super host is a joke. 20 5* and 1 vindictive 1* kiss it goodbye ABNB sucks they always favour the guest with no loyalty to the people that make their business. I'm going completely off thier platform 

Aya2119
Level 2
Voorhees Township, NJ

Thank you both so much. Truly you made me feel so much better. I 

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@Aya2119 

I think a lot of host have valid concerns with the rating system. 

You have amazing reviews, however I did notice several mention that towels and sheets are not provided that wasn’t mentioned in the other things to note or house rules. 

I’ve had other people suggest not including them. I realize this is more common with beach rentals, but my response was that some guest will mark me down in the review. In this case some guest may consider the listing wasn’t accurate enough. 

I also think some listings can expect a 4.8 while others a 5.0. 

im also aware things I don’t offer are a potential for lower rating and make it more clear to guest. 

Some if the most popular listings in my area also have 4.9 or so and always in the top ten in very competitive area. There are some things they could improve IMO but they are booked and rave reviews. 

I’m trying to be more concise but wouldn’t just ignore reviews. I would try and make improvements if possible. This one seems like it should be at close to 5 star at this point. Just updating listing description can be a huge improvement. I see a few more places but can’t be sure and that’s up to each host. 

@John5097  I wouldn't suggest that hosts simply ignore the ratings, just that they don't allow them to take on more importance than is warranted. 

Obviously if a host is getting low cleanliness ratings on a regular basis, they need to step up their cleaning regime, or if low accuracy ratings, they need to edit their description to make things clearer to guests.

But it's usually the fickle 5* overall ratings, when guests have marked 5*s in all categories and said they loved their stay, or a 1* revenge review Airbnb refuses to remove, or a low rating left due to the guest's own inattention to what the host has clearly mentioned in the listing, that upsets hosts. 

Those type of ratings are not fair, and not anything a host can learn from, so it's better for their mental and emotional state if they don't allow it to unduly upset them or stress them out. 

@Sarah977 That's exactly what I'm saying! I think its best for host to focus on getting five star ratings from the guest who are easy to accomodate, which is vast majority of guest. Try to make it extra clean, for example. Try to build up good reviews, do some research before listing to avoid common mistakes, for example, because at some point host will have to deal with disruptive guest who is breaking house rules, disrupting neighbors, scammers, and know they will risk a one star review. 

That was my approach. Yes I have great reviews but have had to message guest to make sure not to disrupt neighbors. If that means getting one star review so be it. 

Some host are just better off using a property manager to handle the Airbnb. There are so many little things a homeowner with little experience would be reluctant to improve that someone with experience would strongly recommend. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I meant the fickle 4* overall ratings, of course. Typo.

Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

The rating system is ridiculous... As are many others. It's rendering the whole system useless. They would be better off just offering thumbs-up/thumbs-down since most people give 5's or 1's. People who genuinely try to express the nuance of a 4 or 3 usually just ending up screwing the person they were trying to compliment.

All that being said, I feel like this magnet on the fridge helps:

https://strspot.com/products/rave-reviews-circle-pattern-magnet

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Aya2119 If I had the venture capital funds I would 100% start a home share site to compete with ABB. 

There would only be "recommend" or "don't recommend" and a space to write a qualitative comments. Guests and hosts would get the same thing. The site would focus on people who actually wanted to work with others to share a vacation home or take in a boarder. Home swaps would be allowed. No pricing suggestion. Home owners would be able to work out their own agreements with those who wanted to stay in their space. No stays over 30 days to avoid legal issues. Very simple, easy and no nonsense.  No punishments or pretend guarantees of vetting guests. Just "I have a place to rent, this is me, these are my rules. Who is a good match?"

Snehal1
Level 2
Vadodara, India

I agree the Review system is not Proper as I also lost the Super Host Status and One Guest wanted to Over stay till late Evening, and I did not allow it as I had next guest back to back and Needed 2 Hours for Cleaning and Satanizing.  He Brought down my Rating Drastically.   Also One Guest Reached Late Night and was Scared at all the lights inside the Home were off,  The light in Varanda was On and My Care taker helped him to Put on the lights.   But He Put the Rating to 1 as ALL Lights were Not One from 12 noon  till He checked in late night.

Paul685
Level 2
British Columbia, Canada

Have had similar experiences. We are on a small island in Canada's far west. At night it is darker than 10 feet (3+ meters) down a sooty chimney. I ask when they are coming, they usually respond and then show up at 10 PM and whine that it is cold and dark. It IS Canada, it gets cold and dark early. They live here, in a city and it seems to be a revelation they never expected. BUT..., of course it is no fault of theirs. Paul

Lisa6917
Level 2
Riggins, ID

My least favorite of them all is "location"!  Why is that even there?  We live where we live. YOU chose us. I live rurally and I'm very specific in my listing that I live 3.5 miles from town.  I have pictures.  Also, most people traveling to my town already know it's rural. So I get a guest who gives me a 4 star rating on location because HE passed my home. He claims he used GPS, which I know for a fact brings you right to our home.  Also, I send every guest directions to our property, with very helpful landmarks and such to guide them right here.  And ALSO, our listings show our locations on maps when they check out our descriptions, right?  I'm trying not to fixate on ratings because I know I do a great job and my guests are always pleased with how I run my ABB but it really is a silly thing to have that review.  What one person might consider a lousy location, another may love it.  A Host has no control over that. I think it needs to be removed.   Lisa