I received a poster from Airbnb

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I received a poster from Airbnb

I received a poster (I assume as a present) from Airbnb in the mail. Here are my ungrateful thoughts:

It is a cute map and it says "Pin where you are from " or something like that. I would have to either let guests pin the poster itself which means multiple little holes in my walls or spend $80 for a cork board (the poster is pretty big). I will also need to buy the pins- I guess minor expense but still annoying. These pins will be all over the place an inevitably someone will step on one and complain. Alternatively, I can hang a sharpie. It will have to be taped to the wall and the poster already says "pin" so now the whole thing will look home made in the bad sense of the word. So in the trash it went. I give it 3 stars for communication (I got an email from USPS that something was coming but would have rather gotten an email with a choice of gifts), 1 star for value, 5 stars for location (map was accurate and package arrived where intended), 2 stars for accuracy (a gift should be fully usable and not require additional purchasing and assembly)

80 Replies 80
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Carol676 how wonderfully creative! Would love to see some piccy's of the set up!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Stephanie  @Christine1  @Inna22  @Carol676  @Suzanne302 

Oh yeah, received the same big cardboard tube with poster inside and a lovely note. It had me intrigued for weeks. I got this UPS tacking advice that an item from Airbnb was on it's way to me! Every couple of days there would be this tracking advice ....'' UPS wishes to advise your parcel has been dispatched and is on it's way, follow your article by logging on!

This went on for a couple of weeks and I was whipping myself up into a frenzy just what it was that required such strident email attention!

I treasure all my Airbnb gifts, and there has been a few of them now,  @Alexandra316 like you I haven't worked out a location for it yet but, my feeling is, it will be in my man-cave, somewhere where visitors will say, 'what the hell is that?'!

Cheers......Rob  

Howdy @Robin4 -  glad to see your name pop up!

best wishes to you and Ade. Also hoping you survived the oppressive heat with the cool change today.... 🌼

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Cathie19 

Nice to hear from you Cathie, how are things with you and Garry up there  in the top end?

Ade and I are ok, hosting is going gang-busters and I am stretched in a few different directions at the moment, but, all is good!

Yeah yesterday was a touch on the warm side. We didn't break the record for the hottest November day on record but we came within point 2 of a degree of it! The Peninsular copped it though with some serious bush-fires, thousands of head of stock lost.

People say the press sensationalise and create hysteria about these things, but did you see on the news that woman who saved the burning Koala at Pt Macquarie.........

https://youtu.be/KHGgKRDHHvU?t=6

The media go into these places, put themselves in considerable danger  to get these images and it raises the awareness of all of us about the consequences of what happens when we are not careful enough !

There are many around the world who will say that 'global warming' is a myth! 

Here in this state we broke a record yesterday…..one of 4 meteorological records that have been broken in Australia in the past week.

1/……We here in our capital city yesterday had an official temperature of 42.2c (107.96f)! In the inland areas the state, temperature rose above 45C. 18 centres across South Australia recorded record November temperatures yesterday. That is newsworthy!

2/.....4 days before Perth in WA recorded it's hottest November day on record. That's newsworthy.

3/……For 48 hours in the last week not a drop of rain fell on the entire mainland mass of Australia. This has never happened before since rainfall records have been taken. That is newsworthy!

3/…..There are currently 137 uncontrolled bush-fires burning around Australia. That is also a record. Some of them may be due to poor vegetation management…..but something started them. Extreme weather conditions start fires, and you can’t blame poor land management for that! That is newsworthy!

It does seem that we are headed for an apocalypse, wildfires in the US, floods in Europe, there appears to be too much solid evidence of it around the world.

At the risk of being a bit twee Cathie, it is a distraction from having to  continually defend ourselves for being involved with Airbnb! Those at the top need to seriously get their heads out from between their cheeks and realise, every tree has a top, a point which you cannot climb beyond. My feeling is Airbnb are 'ring-barking' their tree!

Might get to catch up you and Garry next year. Ade and I have booked a round Australia cruise and Darwin on the schedule!

Good to hear from you Cathie.

Cheers......Rob

Our “Build up” weather has been pretty oppressive, with a forecast of a late monsoon season due to weather conditions still being active in the northern hemisphere. We heard one clap of thunder today, but the storm went south!  😩

So when are you cruising?

Hopefully we are here when when you dock into Darwin Harbour.  In April we fly to Lisbon and will be walking the Portuguese Camino - central route. Fourteen days of about 260kms. Using an OZ walking tour group via hotels and daily luggage transfers, it seems a bit of a cheats way, but I wouldn’t survive a full pack these days, and would probably inflict pain on someone in a dorm, if they snored loudly or turned the light on in the middle of the night. Nothing glamorous, but quieter. We have an Airbnb for extra days in Santiago, but that’s all we’ve got organised.

As for the second half of our holiday, when  we leave Santiago in Spain, we will be heading to Scotland. Not sure of our itinerary or transport yet. Might fly via Dublin, or train it via London. Friends will housesit and care for Tilly our pooch whilst we are away......

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Come via London @Cathie19  :))

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Seconded @Cathie19 !!!

-----

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

Hi All.... well, I too received this gift. I am hesitant to take the poster out of the tube fearing that I will never get it back in for safe storage while I figure out where it could go. Would someone with more dexterous fingers be willing to measure the poster and post the results?

This way the poster isn't damaged while I price foam or cork boards and measure walls. My house is quite odd in that there are very few interior walls for hanging much of anything. Just way too many doorways and windows.

Thank you in advance.

It is two ft high and three ft wide, @Susan151 . 

@Lawrene0 wrote:

It is two ft high and three ft wide, @Susan151 . 

Thank you so much!

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Thank you @Quincy,  @Lizzie  and @Stephanie.

I received my poster this week.

I intend to laminate it and give it a painted wooden frame, like a picture. Then I’ll attach a thin permanent marker to the frame. This way, I can install  it, inside or outside. Watch this space....

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Lizzie @Stephanie 

Oh noooooo!! Please tell me those $200 designer PJs I received recently from Airbnb - and was rather ungracious about! - weren't actually from you guys...?? 🙈🙉🙊

@Susan17 I got those too! What were yours like? I thought mine were pretty nice... they were a green check, I think inspired by Palm Springs? They fit.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Susan17 💔

-----

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Inna22 @Robin4 @Lizzie @Stephanie and everyone else....I'm late in seeing this. Like Rob I received my poster and was really delighted as I was getting messages that something was on the way. I immediately took my poster to hobby lobby...an awesome place where u can buy everything and they do framing while you want. For $18 they put a foam board backing and it took 5 mins and it's perfect. I bought these tabs that I can hang it anywhere. I have the perfect spot in our cottage. I'll post my photo of it hung on a few days. I private messaged thanks to those admin folks as I knew that it was mostly sent to the hosts that participated in the Celebration and didn't want to create any upsets. Peace