I think I hate Airbnb's application of their EC policy more each day..

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I think I hate Airbnb's application of their EC policy more each day..

(Disclaimer - this happened before 'Corona-Rona'., or whatever they want to call it nowadays)

I am quite the fan of Airbnb really in many respects, but with one notable exception; the capricious application of their EC policy is my main beef. An interesting example of how absurd it could be capriciously applied.

Two people book my place, I hold the time slot for 1.5 years, at a time when I am booked solid 1.5 years ahead. Three months before coming they add a second couple, cool. A mere month before coming they add a 3rd couple, but soon right after I get a message from Airbnb that the reservation has been cancelled with full refund for all because one person in the 3rd couple recently added can't make it, because she needs a knee operation.  What a coincidence, or how slick. They send the 'medical proof' to back their claim and the lazy whomever at Airbnb that handled the case did their thing without further thought. 

To be fair, in the past Airbnb always has consulted me first in any and all cancellations, and always have given me the opportunity to 'help' with the logic of the situation and work something out with the guest to everyone's satisfaction. Not this time. In essence, the adding of a 'third party', after the fact, gave license to the whole group getting out of the reservation and be fully refunded. 

From that day forward, I started thinking in a whole new way how to play the game. All events do have an object lesson.

45 Replies 45
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Fred13 Wow - Your potential guest was well sneaky! I guess Airbnb are overwhelmed at present and are just pushing the refund button automatically at present. I am amazed they gave you as much detail as they have - My experience is that they just claim confidentiality and give no info whatsoever. Or did the info come from the guest direct to you?

Info from guest. Overall I have to repeat, 99% a rep from Airbnb contacts me and we always come out with amicable solution; this one bothered me more because its a possible hustle.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Ooo, my tricksters are not nearly so clever, @Fred13 . 

They don't have to be now, of course, but I mean even before EC stood for Everything is Covid. 

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Fred13 @Lawrene0 @Mike-And-Jane0 

In the instance, as we do,  8 are booked in the party and only the booking guest is fully identified. Who accounts for the other 7? Anybody, their Aunty's Nephew from a second marriage in another continent could have Covid on the day of check-in... It doesn't mean they would be attending, or related to an attendee, but it would be easy to get a sickness certificate.. how can that be a 100% influence on the ONLY identified guest on the itinerary? It is, or it can be just BS.

Perhaps the lead ones that booked made a theatrical case for the 5th-6th add-ons and made it sound like they were imperative to the most 'dangerous' expedition to the jungles of Central America and fooled a CSer into it who probably can't find Belize in a world map. Maybe the last name of the 5th-6th was Livingston and the CS thought they were coming to Dark Africa and my last name was Stanley. The whole thing came across so absurd.

As the quantity of guests increase and the likelihood of an increased chance of cancellation increases, How are hosts more protected in line with the risk? No more names are required on the itinerary, no more verifications required.

Two questions @Fred13 :

- How do you know it was guest 5 or 6 that had some knee surgery, and not just some random acquaintance?

- What is your new way of playing the game?

The fellow that initiating the reservation actually told me at the same time he was calling Airbnb and why; it does suggest it was all innocent: nonetheless  it made me think - the more guests are added the higher the risk of a cancellation happening - especially with a listing that gets booked so far ahead like mine (I already have 2023 reservations now). In my way of thinking, the odds of 3 separate couples being able to come when booking close to two years in advance are 3x3 or 1/9. Things happen in life; divorces, deaths, lost of income, pregnancies, plagues, being hit by a train, axe-battles, etc. :D.

So...simple, I encourage all initiators which they follow to not book more than 2 guests (my base price), and add more just before arrival, which makes zero difference to us as to preparation; we offer a whole place for 2-6 people. 

Looking at it from the guest's point of view, they have highly appreciated this approach  because it always turned out to be nerve-racking for them to worry about who could come or not over a two-year+ span. There is also now zero reason to change a reservation multiple times over that long span of time, as before. Heck I am presently hosting this summer (hopefully) people that booked way back in 2017.

Granted Airbnb doesn't get to hold all the added money but since doing this I have rarely had a cancellation per se nor modifications ( except lately of course), but yet at least 75% add people 2-weeks before arrival, so Airbnb still get their full cut anyway.

@Fred13 

So...simple, I encourage all initiators which they follow to not book more than 2 guests (my base price), and add more just before arrival, which makes zero difference to us as to preparation; we offer a whole place for 2-6 people. 

Great Idea!

We do similar on the total bookings - it's 8. I think it helps in not having to police an 'extra person' charge but makes our displayed rate higher than competitors who add a 'per.person' extra charge. *Note to self *

Trying to increase bookings, my listing settings which allowed 50% deposit, 50% balance has now been overridden by 100% upfront payment according to an Airbnb directive. Evidence has illustrated - that to be a stupid move - as a recent booking cancelled purely because of it.

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 Oooh, that is no good. Many of my bookings are in the $3,000+ territory, that is substantial money to put up front for a reservation 1-1.5 years away.

@Fred13 

Paying 100% upfront benefits only ONE party.

That isn't the Guest. Neither is it the Host.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

ahh... guests can always find some sneaky way to be refunded if they want. So, to avoid problems and potentially even greater loss we always had a flexible cancelation policy.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

With respect, @Branka-and-Silvia0 , because I admire what you do, a flexible cancellation policy is not a cancellation policy. It is just a hope that guests will turn up. 

No matter what cancellation policy YOU adopt Airbnb will ALWAYS get their 20% or 17%, or whatever it works out to be, or whatever they can claim. You being 'kind' by being flexible is just being Airbnb's doormat. Your loss, makes their gain so much more easier from the guest and income you lost.

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0I understand what you say but we really didn't have many cancellations on ABB, our bookings are at average 2 nights, we have 2 apartments so it's not a big deal. It's easier if guests get refunded than to listen to their lies, get false reviews and bear the consequences of them.

Booking.com is another story, almost half of our bookings were canceled so we don't use them anymore.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 

You must offer great value for money on ABB to only have that level of cancellations compared to Booking. However, if I was to ever rank STR'S in a results league Booking would definitely be at the top in the cancellations stakes.