I think I hate Airbnb's application of their EC policy more each day..

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I think I hate Airbnb's application of their EC policy more each day..

(Disclaimer - this happened before 'Corona-Rona'., or whatever they want to call it nowadays)

I am quite the fan of Airbnb really in many respects, but with one notable exception; the capricious application of their EC policy is my main beef. An interesting example of how absurd it could be capriciously applied.

Two people book my place, I hold the time slot for 1.5 years, at a time when I am booked solid 1.5 years ahead. Three months before coming they add a second couple, cool. A mere month before coming they add a 3rd couple, but soon right after I get a message from Airbnb that the reservation has been cancelled with full refund for all because one person in the 3rd couple recently added can't make it, because she needs a knee operation.  What a coincidence, or how slick. They send the 'medical proof' to back their claim and the lazy whomever at Airbnb that handled the case did their thing without further thought. 

To be fair, in the past Airbnb always has consulted me first in any and all cancellations, and always have given me the opportunity to 'help' with the logic of the situation and work something out with the guest to everyone's satisfaction. Not this time. In essence, the adding of a 'third party', after the fact, gave license to the whole group getting out of the reservation and be fully refunded. 

From that day forward, I started thinking in a whole new way how to play the game. All events do have an object lesson.

45 Replies 45

Hi! I new to this and I have a question.  Most of our booking are two nights and I have a two night minimum.  This weekend a group asked to come in early on Friday and I agreed.  They had a great day on the water a large barbecue and on Saturday morning cancelled the rest of the reservation and asked for half of the total booking.  They said it was a family emergency back home.  How do I know that?  What happens if I say no because I do have a 2 day minimum.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Eliska

@Eliska4  The guests can deal with Airbnb- if they really have a family emergency they could submit documentation and may get a refund.

Just tell the guests that Airbnb handles refunds, not the host.

I suspect they are just scamming.

Eliska4
Level 2
Louisiana, United States

So who pays the guest their money me or Airbnb?

Eliska4
Level 2
Louisiana, United States

@Sarah2  so who pays the refund.  Airbnb me.  I stated 2 night minimum.  

@Eliska4 The guest could be successful in getting Airbnb to issue them a refund, in which case it would come out of your payouts (you don't refund anything, they would deduct it from your future payouts). But hopefully they won't be successful. The abyssmal customer service that everyone is experiencing these days could work to your advantage if the guests find it difficult to get ahold of anyone.

You might want to pre-empt them by sending  Airbnb CS a message making it clear that you have a 2 night minimum and that these guests thought they could cancel after one night and get a refund (don't mention that they had a supposed family emergency). Then at least there is a record of you stating your 2 night minimum and that your cancellation policy needs to be upheld.

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 , I respectfully disagree with your doormat comparison, we have always (4 years ) been Full Flex to 24 hour from check in and we are the most reviewed Airbnb in a 60 mile radius, (many have been around much longer than we have).  Until Covid came to town we rarely got a cancellation but received many bookings we wouldnt have if we hadnt been flex because of the type of stays we mostly host, short term visits to colleges, weddings and visits home not week-long island paradise vacation getaways like @Fred13  offers his guest. 

I think the differences between those two specific types of hosting types dictate that they be treated very differently across the gamut of Airbnb settings.   Unlike Fred, I rarely have much time invested in prep for any booking and I can flip a cancellation to booked quickly often even with as little as 24 hours relisted. 

I do wish I could offer something that would help Fred in this case but it sounds like he's handled it already as best as can be and EC will never go away so it is what it is.  Stay well, JR

@Melodie-And-John0 Actually a "Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum" (reference to old movie for you youngsters). When Corona-Rona hit, it gave me an opportunity to do something different that will give us options in the coming years. First I upped the price for stays, so that I be thrilled with only 200 days a year, which nearly makes the same as the much-too-hectic-340-days-per-year marathon of the past 6 years. Secondly I changed the island to accommodate overnight guests (2-6 guests - 24 hours) or  day visitors (12 guests - 5 hours with lunch). To accommodate the latter type in the last 2 months we did >

1. Encircled a new huge white-sand area  like an amphitheater which is half deep for swimming and the other half only 1 foot deep to frolic. Brought in 6 water lounging floaters, 4 new kayaks, colorful umbrellas, paddle boards,etc.

2. At the end of that area is a new 'Gateway to Adventure' where guests can leave the island complex and go to the reef (only 150 feet) and have the best of snorkeling with the best of equipment (Cressi snorkeling gear and even Yamaha underwater sea-scooters for those wanting to cover the entire 1-mile in an  hour).

3. Added sitting decks, pergolas, palapas over the new water area and build a bar ('Pelican Roost') with all the cool amenities, lights and touches. Added thousands of conch shells all along the whole perimeter and now it's already like an aquarium filled with a zillion different types of colorful tropical fish; kids love this.

New pictures be up in about 2 weeks. The most important thing about this change is it gives me (and wife) more time since the new day-use scene is very-low maintenance and dynamic and anyone can run it for us. I can make an appearance when an 'interesting' group goes like the Swedish or Brazilian Women's Swim team happens to book the place. 🙂

Wow @Fred13 ,you are a very busy guy creating a wonderland that sounds like Fantasia!   If you had just raised your prices you might have assured the break even point with much less bookings.  Unfortunately Im sure your hard work will pay off and probably more than your thinking, your changes will make it more desirable than ever no matter the price!   Maybe not this but next year you may need to think about hiring your Own "Tattoo" to take care of your Fantasy Bird Island!   Cant wait to see the pics Fred, Stay well, JR

@Melodie-And-John0 

I respectfully disagree with your doormat comparison, we have always (4 years ) been Full Flex to 24 hour from check in and we are the most reviewed Airbnb in a 60 mile radius, 

Thats your prerogative. 

I still believe that when Airbnb will take up to 20% of any cancelled booking you incur, where you will receive nothing you are being a 'doormat' for their benefit.

Now, if Airbnb waived their cancellation fees to match the same risk you are happy to take, then that would be a much fairer proposition and I wouldn't need to think you were being used as a doormat.

Cancellations:

Guests = win

Airbnb = win

Melodie-And-John = lose

Often is the case that Guests don't read. There cannot be an exclusion for reading and comparing cancellation policies.

It would be nicer if we were treated as investors or owners in part but were neither, its a private company just like @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 's  place and Bearpath Lodging.  What your envisioning seems like more of a partnership  than a dealership  which is more like what we are to Airbnb and each other as well, their product is a branded repeatable experience.   

Unlike Franchises, we can come and go as we like, change our listing to another agent as quick as we put out a new sign like @Robin4 does and sell our own lodging product without their name affixed and never pay them a dime but we wont get their search, reservation and payment engine without our agreement. 

I don't have a problem with them making decisions about their business practices the same way they don't tell me how to manage my expenses and fees.   I will have a problem if the branding muscle and services I have come to expect from them becomes diminished in any way because they kept those handling fees but Im guessing its too soon to know yet.  I guess we will just have to agree to disagree on this one, JR

@Melodie-And-John0 

their product is a branded repeatable experience. 

Airbnb's are different the whole world around. The only consistent repeatable experience you will find is the consistency of the Airbnb charges in 'whatever' situation. Even those situations where a booking does not actually take place.

Do you NOT actually see that? You are entirely free to take whatever risk you think will benefit Airbnb more than yourself. Thats up to you. 

BTW: a quick search shows a single Airbnb - Completely different to your three(!), has almost the same amount of reviews as yours, only that one, is one listing. La Gloria. 

Yes your correct @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 , Melodie and I are  relatively new at this I thing and our glamper has only been open since last July.  Out of the top 5 around me, 4 have been at it at least twice as long and a couple of those I was a couple hundred reviews behind when we started 4 years ago. We started out less expensive than we are now and have slowly been creeping the prices up, it hasn't diminished our bookings, only covid has.   

Also worthy of noting, the places you saw are in very high tax areas, I am not and only ten minutes from any of them.  We don't have the same business models going on, they would rather get more for each booking and end up with less overall bookings.   I want our beds filled as much as possible at a reasonable price so we even happily accept what they call Bombers (people travelling that book on the move) .  We were well on our way to a fourth year of double digit growth before covid came to town.    I don't see us changing the model much for the aftermath, we will see what happens, stay well, JR

@Melodie-And-John0 

Aah!

"we are the most reviewed Airbnb in a 60 mile radius".. with conditions.. OK.

Question @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 , did one of my listings come up as first in your search?   Just wondering, JR

@Melodie-And-John0 

I don't know. When I looked at your listing Airbnb offered me loads of alternative options at the bottom of your page. I just followed them.