I think a guest just used my apt for sex for a few hours.

Basia6
Level 2
New York, United States

I think a guest just used my apt for sex for a few hours.

I was told my guest would be at my apt at 1 or 2. She asked if I would be around. I said no, and stated the approx time I would be home. I cam home a little earlier to see her leaving my keys where she picked them up from. I introduced myself, and said there was no need to put the keys back if she was going to dinner, and then a man appeared, threw his pizza box in my neighbour's trash (when it was blithely obvious it was not mine) and she said she was leaving. I said that was fine, but to take the keys. She said "No, I'm going to stay at my mother's" and I then noticed neither had a single bag with them. I was too shocked to say more, but quickly let myself in to make sure my cats were safe and while they were, the bed was a pig sty. The sheets were a mess, the fitted sheet had somehow come away from the mattress, the bed was about a foot away from the wall, and my vintage throw I leave at the end of the bed had fallen down between the bed and wall. I can't beleive they didn't notice this, and if they did, they left it. The cooling fan had been left on, as had the bathroom light. A ceramic plate I leave at the bedside table was on the floor and a curtain I drop when guests need privacy as I have French doors, was left down The towels had been used and thrown in a heap in the corner. While I am new to this, I had had the perfcet guest before so this was all pretty gross to me. I realsie she had used my place for sex with her whoever he was. I shrugged it off as I realised with joy I didn't have to deal with her that eveing, but the plus 1 had not been mentioned either, whcih I expect. Has anyone had this happen? I complained and nothing was done, just many sympathetic noises from Air bnb.

32 Replies 32
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Basia6  As an entire houses that sleeps 10 or 12, I personally do not run into this issue, but many hosts that do shared environments have had this issue. There is really not much that can be done, they paid for the use of the room whether they used all afternoon or night. Only thing is if it's booked for 1 and 2 show up you can charge more or refused to allow the other person in, but that's about it.  

Basia6
Level 2
New York, United States

@Letti0 Thanks Letti. I will pick my battles and am no prude, nor willing to stress myself unduly over this, just want to know if it's normal, or commonly encountered. I did write to her to ask if there was anything she had found wanting/wrong with my place, before I put 2 and 2 together!

@Basia6  LMAO....

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Basia6, @Letti0 ,

Review:

„My guest booked my place for one night. She checked herself in around noon. When I got home in the afternoon a little earlier than she thought, she was just about to leave my place dropping of the keys. An unknown and unregistered man was with her. The bedroom was left in no good condition.“

Basia6
Level 2
New York, United States

Thanks Ute!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Basia6  While it is off-putting to have your place used like a cheap motel, that is what the guest desired 😛  and it is not against any rule, right?  Apparently there was no damage, but if you don't allow unregistered people to be at your home and have a rule that is communicated to the guest you could provide a thumbs down review.  I would not add the detail level suggested by @Ute42 but the general gist of the review is that the guest did not respect the listing rules.  Keep it general.

Basia6
Level 2
New York, United States

Thanks again Linda.

@Basia6    Make sure that your house rules explicitly state your expectations of guests.  Mine say - among other things- "Clean up after yourself" and "Do not invite extra people over without consulting your host." My listing also makes it abundantly clear that I live on my property, which seems to deter the horror stories other hosts have

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Basia6 These things happen, especially in big cities and as you quite rightly say there is no point in getting stressed out about it.  Just have to tidy up, move on and leave an accurate review.  However, my concern is that you mention a vintage throw.  It's  never a good idea to leave anything that has the word vintage attached to it anywhere near a guest, especially if it is valuable to you.  I would replace  it with something a bit more "run of the mill" so that if it gets left on the floor or scrumpled up, it doesn't matter.

Basia6
Level 2
New York, United States

Thank you Rachel, wise words and taken on board.

Yep this is what I have done as well. I want my space to to be eclectic and have lots of cool pieces in it that tell a story but ultimately I don't want to put anything valuable in arms reach of them but the rest of my apartment is pretty unique! 

Brett3
Level 10
Gold Coast, Australia

Hey @Basia6,

when I first started I had a guest stay a few times that told me she was on the coast to teach meditation classes. She always wanted an early check in, but was super friendly and polite and always left my apartment clean and tidy. I thought nothing of it until I was going through some of my bookings with a mate who helps out and he recognised her for, well, being one of her 'clients'.

That was actually a kind of an awkward moment. He was going to be greeting her on her next stay but we changed that. The 'Spiritual Goddess' has found another listing better suited to her needs.

Not sure how I would deal with bumping into the guest the way you did. I guess you must be wiser for if it happens again.

@Brett3  I think there is a difference between a hook up and running a business.  A hook up is not illegal, but running a business can be illegal in a residential area.  

Basia6
Level 2
New York, United States

Thanks Linda.