I've Now Been Promoted to FTD Florist

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

I've Now Been Promoted to FTD Florist

Someone recently wrote about odd requests or odd guests on this platform.  Now I can't find it.

A couple is coming next week; sent the usual blah-blah-blah message about how to get here, what are your food allergies, yada yada yada.

The guy is from a Latin American country and that's mad cool because I like it when my peeps come to my house.  The iPod playlist gets really, really interesting.

Anyway, Mr. Guest asked if I would pick up some flowers to put in the room for Mrs. Guest with a note and her name on it.  Mr. Guest specified what flowers he wanted.

What the Frigg???  Really???

So now the question was, who is expected to pay for this?

I didn't know how to come out and ask that question without seeming like a letch, so I wrote this:

Not a problem.  How much do you want to spend?  For $15, I can get something from a grocery store that I can put in a vase that will look rather elegant, for $50 I can get a little basket from a florist that looks pretty tacky in my opinion, or you can go hog wild and spend way more than that on a full-blown arrangement which will become a pain in the butt for you to take home.

He wrote back:  the grocery store is fine as simpler arrangements are more in line with Mrs. Guest.  Send me a cash  for $50.  You should be reimbursed for your time and gasoline.

BINGO..... some people really DO get it!

24 Replies 24

I think it is a great response. I have someone staying for 78 days and his first request was that I get a different chair for him because the ones I have will give him a sore back. I told him I'd keep my eye out for something. I think he understands by now that I am investing 0 time into his request.

@Nikki78 , you will spend zero time on this, yet you  told him you'll keep an eye out for this?  I sure would give you mark downs for communication....

@Annette33

A guest kept me waiting eight and a half hours for them to arrive without communication or responding to mine, and then sent me a text message, would I boil a kettle of hot water for them? an hour before they arrived, obviously that request was ignored.

Its good reading these post because I’m beginning to form an opinion where Guest expectations are coming from.

I regard myself as a friendly and hospitable host and my guest are also of that view judgeing by my reviews, but I’m a host who knows where to draw the line.

Wendy is an experienced Host and judging by some of her posts, she no push over and obviously know where to draw the line. 

Regards

Cormac

ECK III

@Cormac0 , your situation is completely different. Yeah, reading too many posts here about dreadful guest behavior can make all of us a bit paranoid.... 😉  

Above, I was mainly objecting to telling the guest one thing and being mildly encouraging, but already being determined not to do anything about the situation. That's a bit misleading....

I welcome any feedback; I know that there are areas I can improve in that are uncomfortable. Maybe I should be more direct, which I weigh with a nice and comfortable welcome. I actually thought about this quite a bit and almost offered to change dining table and chairs, then I finally decided that it too much. So far Airbnb has been a good experience and investment, but it hasn't been flawless. I enjoy reading everyone's experiences and input. 

If a guest stays this long, I think he would like to have a comfortable chair.

I would put put one in.  you as a host should put yourself in their shoes.

Would you like if a chair or bed is not comfortable? It is not for a night or 2.

Its a longer stay.

What? For a guest to stay even for 30 days, that's a long term for me, I would make him/her comfortable at my house. Getting a chair is a reasonable and doable request, it's not like you're going to get a $3K massage chair or the guest requested to change your shower to an ADA compliant room. 78 days? who wouldn't want to have those? That's easy income for 78 days.

Lyndsey2
Level 10
Stonington, CT

When a guest asks for something that really isn't much trouble for me but is well outside the norm, I will say yes if I can but make sure I let them know that it is quite unusual and that many hosts (or myself under normal circumstances) would not usually be able to accomodate the request. I feel like it's an important rule to follow so other hosts aren't screwed over by momentary generosity - much like our similar obligation to write honest reviews. 

@Lyndsey2,

Neighbor, I sent a few your way who are looking to book a "house".  Big Y had sunflowers, I had vases, and it all came together beautifully.

@Wendy-and-Frank0 Hi Neighbor! Ha, I didn't even notice it was you who had started the thread! I was actually thinking that one reason I'd have no problem with that request is that we have such easy access to beautiful flowers in many different stores here. Cheers and thanks so much for the referral! I'll be sure to reciprocate!