I've had a request for a one-night reservation. I'd like to talk him into 2-3 nights.

Betty124
Level 5
Westminster, CO

I've had a request for a one-night reservation. I'd like to talk him into 2-3 nights.

I've had a request for a one-night reservation.   I'd like to talk him into 2-3 nights.  Denver is just too wonderful for only one night.   Have you ever successfully done that?  Taalked someone into a longer stay?   How did you do it?

Kinda silly question I guess.. 🙂

Thank you!

Betty

19 Replies 19
Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Betty124 I wouldn't do a hard sale on it, but you could casually mention you have a 3 night opening if he'd like to extend his stay to further enjoy all that Denver has to offer. If there is a special event going on, mention that as well. Then let it go.

Thanks, Rebecca!  That's a very nice, polite way to phrase it.   That weekend , there's the Shakespeare festival,  there's a concert by Mary Chapin Carpenter, and the Renaissance fair is going on.   I can mention those.  

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

Some times people are stopping over en route to someplace else. They only have 1 day. Let him know your space is open if he'd like or needs extra time, but don't be pushy.

Good point..  

Thanks, Stephanie!  🙂

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Me as a guest; 'Heck, this lady is bat**** crazy...run, fast!"

🙂 

HA!   🙂

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

You might not want to talk him into staying longer, @Betty124, until you meet him. 🙂

Hi  Lawrene!  That's a good point!    There's a few  reasons why I think it'll be safe.

-  He will be traveling with his wife... there's a photo of her in his ID photo.

-  He has three forms of ID  as verification.

-  He has reviews from two previous hosts  who praised his group.

-  Should be okay, right?

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

The 'sales' line I use to explain to guests why I have a 4-day minimum is: "The great majority of our past guests have felt that at least 4 days is needed to see all of what the place offers". 

Hmm,  Fred, that's a good idea.   How long have you been hosting?

I just started.  My first guests came on 3/4/18, and I've only had 8 -9 altogether.

What's the shortest length of time your guests have stayed, roughly?

The longest?

One of my main objections to a one-night guest is that it  requires the same amount of cleaning as  a 3 night guest.  

I am on my 4th year. At first had dailys, then moved to 2, then 3 and now 4-day minimum. The longest 2 weeks, but now have a 6-day max. All this more to accomodate what is easier for me really. Some guests I suppose want to stay shorter and some longer.

So  what usually  works best for you is 4 nights minimum and 6 nights maximum?   That sounds great to me!    Do you block off a night or two  between stays?

We only need about 2-3 hours to get the place ready for the next guess. We block off a day, every other guest staymore for our usage than anything else. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Betty124

No such thing as a silly question Betty....unless you're asking about an interpretation of Airbnb's rules!

I have come to the conclusion that the propensity of one night stays is linked to the extras that are charged onto the listing amount.

Someone sees a listing at $140 pr night and sees an equivelant listing in the area at $120 pr night with a $70 cleaning fee...If it is a short duration booking they will automatically take the first listing because in reality, it still provides what they want but it is $50 cheaper. As the length of stay increases that cleaning fee becomes split on a nightly basis and  the price comparison becomes less of a stumbling block.

I don't charge a cleaning fee and I find that 70-80% of my bookings are for one night....and I don't mind that, I could drop my hosting amount and charge a cleaning fee but I would be worse off if I did! I don't get a high percentage of bookings for a long way in advance, most of them are opportunistic....someone sees the night they want is free and grabs it.

What you could do Betty, is say to the guest, "I understand travel plans can be fairly rigid but I do have a policy of offering a discount for longer term stays". That may get the guest to thinking it could be advatageous to take an additional night or two.....everyone likes to think they are getting a bargain.

Cheers......Rob