I want to cancel booking - in plenty of time

I want to cancel booking - in plenty of time

We have a booking for 3 Feb 2018 for 2 nights. 6 adults were booked originall  - 2 to a room. After booking was confirmed (automatically) they then advised that they actually have 9 persons - extra 3 children - 2 x 7 year olds and 1 x 2 year old . They were going to sleep a kid in each room with the adults in queen beds, for 2 rooms and a kid and adult in one of two single beds. We told them that we are not able to host 9 people as we are set up for a max of 6. As they have time enough, 3 feb 2018,  we asked them to search for a more suitable place. They just replied saying that they want to sleep on the floor. This is not acceptable for us for health & safety reason as well as we are NOT comfortable with this booking, now that we have had some cor resspondence with them, and we have asked them to cancel their booking. As the booking was confirmed, Airbnb may have taken their money. They do not want to change booking. How do we cancel without penalty due to extenuating circumstances? There is no way we can talk to Airbnb directly. That  is something I find unacceptable. Airbnb should be more accessible for various unique problems. Can anyone please help me?

7 Replies 7
Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Although it is difficult to directly communicate with Airbnb, they are very responsive to a twitter.

Do not cancel until Airbnb allows you to cancel without penalty.

Before contacting Airbnb, do try to explain the situation to your guests.

Explain to your guests that your reservation is for 6 people and you will only let 6 people in.

Also explain that guests will get all their money back if they cancel now, but None if they cancel on the day of.

Make guests realize that there are consequences.

Good luck

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hi,

I noticed you have 3 listings. I assume your guest(s) booked them all, so there are also three reservations ?

I noticed you put in your listing some text saying you don't want to accomodate children. Was this text allready there at time of booking ? But the listings still says at amenities: "family/kid friendly". So there is a contradiction here !

When people make a booking, the amount of guests (here: 2) AND the amount of children must be set. I assume this was not the case at the initial booking ? Otherwise you would probably not accepted it.

I think you better talk to Airbnb and explain. Look at: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M18763  If you scroll down you also will find the phonenumber for your country (Australia ?, then it is: +61 2 8520 3333 according to this list )

Best regards,

Emiel

Emille, I know that 'contradiction' BUT it is not highlighted, it is just there. Something that Airbnb must change on their page formats.  It says children friendly and pet friendly but when you check into it it is not ticked . Yes, everyhthing was done and I told this to the guest. he came back with the childrten could sleep in with an adult pair in each room. When I told them it was not possible they came back that they would sleep on the floor. That was too much. We became uncon=mfortable with the whole thing. They did  not want to change, determined to stay here at all costs. It is over and thanks be.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

I suggest to keep it very straight forward with the guest and with Airbnb.

The upshot is/was: guests wants to bring 9, but all 3 rooms combined hold a total of 6; they can't and do not want to cancel on their own. It won't work. Airbnb will have to do so, since the 'entitled ones' do not want to.

Nothing else needs to be said, about children, the value of family, the national anthem, nothing; the shorter the better.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Greetings members who helped me out today. Many thanks and I finally got the booking cancelled by Airbnb. It took an effort to try to get through to Airbnb and even then I only got to someone in Manila. Still he was very helpful and understanding of the predicament. End of story.

@Peter-And-Ann0 - Glad everything worked out.  I wanted to follow up so that you understand what exactly the Extenuating Circumstances policy is and how it's used.  It is not applied to situations like this one.  Here is a link to that policy for you to review: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/what-is-airbnb-s-extenuating-circumstances-policy

This applies to both hosts and guests and proof of such a circumstance must be provided to Airbnb.  

What you had was a Host Rules violation since you have a max of 6 people, guests cannot bring as many as they'd like and sleep on floors, couches, porches, in tents on the lawn, etc.  That's why the reservation was eventually cancelled by Airbnb.  

Good for you for coming to the Community Center and finding support and help.