I will be leaving Airbnb as a host AND a guest

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

I will be leaving Airbnb as a host AND a guest

I have been patient. I have tried to be understanding in light of everything going on. But I've reached my limit. Due to a customer service issue that has still not been resolved after a week, I will be leaving Airbnb as both a host AND a guest.

They have no idea, and of course they don't care either, that I was an advocate for so long. Hosting isn't my primary source of income, but I've really enjoyed it for the past few years. I also liked using Airbnb as a guest. I wasn't making Airbnb rich as a host or a guest, but I was definitely a regular user. I hate to not support fellow hosts, but on principal I will not use the platform as a guest anymore.

Just want to say that I have enjoyed conversing with all of you regulars in the CC and appreciate all your conversations but will most likely not be returning. Stay strong y'all! If this were a big source of income for me, I might fight harder, but it's just not worth it anymore.

54 Replies 54
Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

@Suzanne302 , I'm very sorry to hear that Susan, I can relate as a Host going on week 3 of a help call that started urgent and went unanswered until I put in a second ticket.  Its now has been escalated 3 times over the time with just as many phone calls.   A guest and her friends looking for an unoccupied place to party didnt read the listing to find out we live here and cancelled 3 hours after they arrived is about to have her slamming review posted on my listing even though it doesn't belong there because the Help desk seems impotent to deal with it. 

Melodie and I have hosted hundreds of booking through Airbnb and are flummoxed, this hasn't ever been our experience and I am reluctant to toss the baby out with the bathwater but this is ridiculous.

Are@Brian , aisling.hassell@airbnb.com  ,  @Anonymous , @Anonymous listening to what is happening here or in their hosting circles?  Without prompt customer service, we might as well be on our own!   We are here by choice not contract, if we leave and cancelling our bookings going forward, it will not be good for the company, Just sayin folks, JR

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Suzanne302 😪  😪  😪  😪  😪  😪  😪  😪  😪  😪   😪   😪   😪

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Suzanne302 

I am so sorry to hear this but I can completely understand your concerns. 

Please reconsider and stay safe! 

Steven976
Level 2
D.C., DC

Sorry to hear @Suzanne302 . I hear you and I may just cancel my reservations for the remaining few .  I'm now 23 days in from not getting paid or not getting an answer.  My final move is to email some of their Execs to see if I can get a resolution.  And sadly, the blow-hard CEO keeps touting  greatness and lies yet they cannot even help respond and update hosts on what is going on.  If I did not know better I would assume that there are cash flow issues which often leads to a corporate take over or bankruptcy.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Stephanie  could you please help ^. thanks 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hey @Yadira22 ,

Yes, our team saw this post this morning - I have DM'd Suzanne directly. Thanks for the tag.

Steph

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

thanks @Stephanie  but what about @Steven976 above and @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 mentioned below? 🙂

Thanks @Yadira22 😊

Hopefully somebody there can fix things.

That'll make 7 prongs of attack on my behalf, already with my two, then @Brian , @Aisling ,  @Nathan , @Joe then @Stephanie or @Airbnb maybe? 

Oh, and don't forget @Melodie-And-John0 too, with their potentially retaliatory review. 

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Yes of course @Yadira22 , I will drop you a message also @Steven976 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

@Stephanie At what point does Airbnb step up and address the systemic support issues, and not simply pick individual issues to resolve out of the massive pile of problems? You shouldn't have to personally troll the forums to swoop down and provide occasional customer assistance. If Airbnb Customer Service worked as intended, you would never be called out to help. Instead this forum is filled with horror stories by hosts, who literally are the reason your company exists and have no obligation to Airbnb. It's an abusive relationship where Airbnb keeps taking advantage of us, and Airbnb ignores complaints in the hopes they go away.

I too have put in countless hours over the years with our Mayor and City Council, building coalitions and fighting to keep short term rentals legal in our town. I have extended myself to guests for almost 7 years, to ensure their happiness and to support the Airbnb platform.

Sadly, I am finding customer support to be unforgivably unresponsive, uninterested in the nuances of dealing with individuals and human nature as they relate to a service-based industry, evasive and occasionally insulting, and obviously aware that they have final say on disputes. I wonder what attrition looks like among hosts right now. The beatings will continue until morale improves?

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Suzanne302 The very best to you. 

Life is funny, oftentimes one day we get up with a whole new way of thinking; my mrs. and I got up recently that way - yes, time to wrap it up. One should never stay at any party too long, once it gets stale or takes a no-fun direction; better to be at the niche that best suits us at any given time.

Safe journeys Suzanne.

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

Sorry to hear of your departure @Suzanne302 , you brought a rather different opinion to my own to the CC which was always considered and appreciated.

I have no idea of your problem with customer services, but I hope it gets sorted out to your satisfaction. With @Melodie-And-John0 considering retaliatory review problems (looking forward to all the replies from @Brian , @Aisling ,  @Nathan , @Joe 😂), and @Steven976 with payment issues, it seems like its all back to normal at Airbnb HQ!  I too have issues, thats apart from them taking all my booking income away, I have a guest who has told me she is cancelling, yet 5 days on, she's still blocking my calendar and CS still haven't cancelled her despite her requesting. Very annoying, so I contacted CS.. thats now, double the quantity of cases in my one situation so I do wonder how the ineptitude of staff contributes to their own problems.

A cancellation on top of not having the opportunity to rebook the dates is a double whammy.

Melodie-And-John0
Level 10
Munnsville, NY

Hold the presses everyone- @Yadira22 , @Fred13 , @Suzanne302  @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 , @Helen350 , I have good news to report on my front, A nice lady named Kat from the support team messaged me 

After a thorough examination, we determined that the content didn’t contain enough relevant information to help the Airbnb community make informed booking decisions. For this reason, we have removed XXXX review.

She is #1 to me, there was more but I wont bother you with the details!   I complain if something is wrong but wont hesitate to say if something is right.  Kat showed me that there was a person ready to look and listen and thats all we hoped for!   Thank you Steph if anything you might have done behind the scenes helped resolve this!!!!!   Its all good, god bless and stay well, JR

@Melodie-And-John0 

Was Kat saying you didn't provide enough information in your listing? 

@Suzanne302 @Lisa723 @Ann489 @Yadira22 @Steven976 @Helen350  and all hosts...

The opinions of staff from Airbnb and their opinions of management can be easily found and read in various job applications on independant recruitment sites. They make for interesting reading, especially if you're a host and have to put up with so much unnecessary aggravation. The work of hosts certainly doesn't go unnoticed by sacked Airbnb staff:

This, an ex-sales staff at Airbnb Head Office:

Hosts are amazingHosts are amazing

Recommend - to work for if you want to obtain some diverse experience. But don't stay too long!

CEO: Sounds like he sits with a couple of people and gets easily influenced. For company that is not that big in terms of organisation size, he is mostly disconnected from what's happening in the lower levels and community. I have never seen a CEO apologising so many times for a so many things. Approx 2-3 times per year...

Most of the management have no qualifications to be in management roles.

Company has major identity crisis.

Hosts are amazing. They are the ones who keep this show running.

Remember that bit.

@Brian , @Aisling ,  @Nathan , @Joe 

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 ,  "Was Kat saying you didn't provide enough information in your listing? "

No actually, she was saying the guests review was filled with slanderous garbage and no substance that could be considered useful information for possible future guests to gain any insights from.  Her attack was All explosion and no shrapnel.