I will be leaving Airbnb as a host AND a guest

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

I will be leaving Airbnb as a host AND a guest

I have been patient. I have tried to be understanding in light of everything going on. But I've reached my limit. Due to a customer service issue that has still not been resolved after a week, I will be leaving Airbnb as both a host AND a guest.

They have no idea, and of course they don't care either, that I was an advocate for so long. Hosting isn't my primary source of income, but I've really enjoyed it for the past few years. I also liked using Airbnb as a guest. I wasn't making Airbnb rich as a host or a guest, but I was definitely a regular user. I hate to not support fellow hosts, but on principal I will not use the platform as a guest anymore.

Just want to say that I have enjoyed conversing with all of you regulars in the CC and appreciate all your conversations but will most likely not be returning. Stay strong y'all! If this were a big source of income for me, I might fight harder, but it's just not worth it anymore.

54 Replies 54

It may also be socially prudent for us all to consider warning our own personal networks that booking on AirBnB may be risky in light of our own personal experiences of not being paid nor getting the responses we deserve.  This is starting to feel sketchy and very similar to what a business does when they are having serious cash flow issues, ultimately leading to bankruptcy, liquidation, closure, sell off, etc.

@Steven976 

A 26 Day delay in payment from Airbnb when they have already been paid upfront is indeed a grave issue.

Merely contacting them and not receiving payment within days would be a worry, and certainly if it was my money, I'd be worried. I'd want to see some action or at least receive notification of an intention to pay.

Your warning is not to be taken lightly. There should be no interruption to payments to hosts, for any reason, and answers should be provided if asked and payment made immediately following such.

Please keep us informed.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Steven976 

@Stephanie is currently on her final month(s) of pregnancy- as amazing as she is, she has a lot on her plate. If she has not responded it’s definitely for a reason. 

@Nick @Liv could you maybe assist? Thanks 🙏 

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

@Inna22 @Yadira22 @Sarah977 @Jessica-and-Henry0 @Sandra126 @Melodie-And-John0 @Helen350 @Steven976 @Fred13 @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 @Ann489 @Lisa723 @Tom2678 

Thanks for all your kind words. I wasn't trying to make a dramatic exit, I just thought it was important to document when a long-time, loyal host reaches the breaking point.

Thanks to the kindness of @Stephanie who reached out to me, my issue was finally resolved.

Without going into details, due to abysmal customer service, my guest's trip was ruined (it didn't have to be) and I wasted way too much time on phone calls and emails to customer service. I was re-reading my emails to CS and could see with each progressive email as I turned from a kind, patient human being into quite possibly sounding like a raging lunatic.

The solution to my issue was simple. Airbnb customer service made it extremely difficult.

Instead of vowing to never return once the existing reservations on my calendar are finished, we'll just call it an "indefinite break." But trust me when I say it's definitely a "break" a la Ross Geller. 🙂

I came here to say something else, but reading what @Tom2678  wrote, that pretty much sums up exactly what I wanted to say verbatim:

"Sadly, I am finding customer support to be unforgivably unresponsive, uninterested in the nuances of dealing with individuals and human nature as they relate to a service-based industry, evasive and occasionally insulting, and obviously aware that they have final say on disputes. I wonder what attrition looks like among hosts right now. The beatings will continue until morale improves?"

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Suzanne302 I am sorry that you and your guests had to go through needless upset. I also am on an 'indefinite break' since the Orinda shootings last October. Although I was not personally affected, I was not okay with how hosts were thrown under the bus (yet again) by the 'damage control' PR machine at Airbnb Corporate (as voiced by CEO Brian Chesky). Was hoping things might get better and I could jump back in, but from what you and other hosts are indicating here, it is only getting worse. Sad.

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

😞

Steven976
Level 2
D.C., DC

And I've been waiting 27 days to get paid from AirBnB @Yadira22. Would love to better understand the framework for prioritization and precedence.  Would love it even more if AirBnB would accept responsibility for the current state of affairs and their ongoing neglect of Superhosts.  Brands can only move forward from such hurdles with acknowledgement, acceptance, reconciliation and a commitment to do better. Hoping @Nick @Liv can assist Thanks!

I'm having the same issue. Had to call police to remove a guest. I've called over 6 times, emailed three, keep sending feedback. Zero response. Have been hung up on after waiting over and hoir. She literally answered and hung up. Added to my injury airbnb has taken money from me now. Unbelievable!!! Any recommendations for better platforms would be greatly appreciated! 

Steven976
Level 2
D.C., DC

Still not solved!  It took 28 days and then @Stephanie provided an inaccurate reply from a CS rep that sadly was not focused on my case and provided careless and erroneous information! And now what do a I do? I replied to @Stephanie two days ago  to no avail and clearly to get my CS is an act of God.

@Inna22 @Yadira22 @Sarah977 @Jessica-and-Henry0 @Sandra126 @Melodie-And-John0 @Helen350 @Steven976 @Fred13 @Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 @Ann489 @Lisa723 @Tom2678 any luck? I will be posting AirBnB's executive team email addresses in the next few days.  It has taken me about 2 weeks but I was  able to track these down.  I also have a contact at CNN that I will be reaching out to, as well. 

Additional thoughts on how we keep AirBnB accountable when we are their money-makers?

@Nick @Liv could you maybe assist?

Jeff1953
Level 1
Cookham, United Kingdom

Good call Suzanne. Hope it all goes well for you in whatever you decide to do.