I will no longer post a bad review about a guest

Answered!
Megan160
Level 9
Tucson, AZ

I will no longer post a bad review about a guest

I had an awful guest experience and tried to settle it with the guest personally. She stayed at a reduced rate and then needed to extend her stay. We gave her an even bigger rate discount. When she left, she left the place a mess. Dirty, greasy dishes, pots and pans. All the furniture was in dissaray, both sets of blankets/quilts had spots and stains on them, there were crumbs in all the beds on the mattress pads (which had to be hand picked off), and she ruined a set of sheets.

I took 3 days to cool off before I texted her because we really went out of our way to help this guest and she took advantage of us. I told her I was unhappy about the state of the place and asked her to pay $50 to replace the sheets. Prior to this text, she had nothing but glowing reviews and thanks for me in all her texts. She did not understand why she should have to pay for her sheets because I was a woman and the damaged sheets were a result of a "woman thing" and thus I should understand. I said I shouldn't have to pay for her "woman thing".

After much internal debate, I decided to warn other hosts and gave her an appropriate but still not brutal review, even leaving out the refusal to pay for damages and passing on her lame excuse for the mess. She then gave me a bad review, lying about my place and me. Prior to this review, I had 5 star reviews. Now people think my place is noisy and I am rude. My bookings have almost stoped dead in their tracks after her review. Plus, my 3 month pre-book for Jan-March canceled right after the review. I have contacted Airbnb twice about this to no avail. I had responded to her bad review, but not in much detail because I assumed that if I could prove it was a retaliatory review, it would be removed. THIS IS NOT THE CASE! Not only will they not remove it, they won't even let me expound on my explanation to her bad review.

So frustrated! I am knee deep in the process of spending a lot of money to make my other 2 rentals Airbnb rentals and now I can't even get bookings in prime season. Airbnb penalizes us for trying to warn other hosts about bad guests.

1 Best Answer
John915
Level 3
New York, United States

@Megan160

Unfortunately there is probably nothing you can do about it. Things like this happen to all of us (guests, especially newer ones have wildly different expectations) and I hate the fact that one bad review plants a seed in future guests' minds (for example, I had one who stayed for nearly a month and I left town for nearly a week - I live in the part of the home - I came back and she had left an old pizza box, empty bottles,etc....her review dinged me for cleanliness?!)

Some guests are just horrible and/or petty (and I'm sure a handful of hosts are not so great either) but the best thing to do is learn from it.

I never leave a review for a guest unless I've personally interacted with him/her. I do this because if you are the first to leave a review, your guest sees that you left one and if they felt their stay was unpleasant, they have nothing to lose by leaving you a nasty review. A host may rely on sharing their home to cover a significant portion of housing costs, extra income, etc. but a guest may book an Airbnb once or twice a year. And even if guests get not so great reviews, in many cities there are plenty of hosts who would just be happy for the income.

I've been fortunate to have not yet had many "nightmare" guests but I would learn from this experience - do not be the first to review a guest! If they feel strongly about your space (negative or positive) they will usually leave a review. If I've had a weird situation/neutral, I don't bother. If my interaction was positive, I ask them to send me private feedback as to what I can do better. If someone leaves a review, you can comment on it but if you think someone had a less than stellar experience, you as a host leaving a review only prompts a guest to leave one as well (which may be unfair, misleading, etc.)

Saw your listing and I really don't think your guest's review was that bad. If anything it was probably prompted by your interaction with her following her stay. You have 5 stars and it was overall a positive review! I have no plans to go to Tucson but I'd stay in your place! In the future, I'd just let small inconveniences like that go. Don't be a pushover but understand accidents happen and sometimes minor things occur with otherwise well-meaning guests:

-No smoking but someone opens a window thinking they can get away with it

-Someone breaks a glass

-Uses toilet and "forgets" to flush (nasty but happens)

My advice:

1.) Do not post a review first - Regardless of what you do, you get sometimes get less than 5-stars! If you've had a less than fantastic dialogue with a guest, posting a review prompts them to do the same - in your case, she knew you were upset about the sheets & was probably defensive about being asked to pay $50 for an accident - If she thought you were upset with her as a host, I am not suprised that she didn't give you a fantastic, glowing review in response to the notification that you had left her a review.  

2.) Don't sweat the small stuff

3.) Just buy a $10 set of sheets from Wal-Mart and consider it a "cost of doing business" if they are ruined at some point

View Best Answer in original post

232 Replies 232

I never do that, going outside the system.

Never never ever. 

Also because people who want to cheat AirBnB out of a couple dollars tend to be the kind of people who are difficult about everything.  (And I only know this from a co-host who has relented in some cases).   But personally I never go there. 

(And frankly I wish AirBnB would cut me a little slack for it: after 4 years of being a superhost and countless successful stays I would hope they realize that I play by the rules and not 'SENSITIVE COMMENT REMOVE' any helpful information I might link that would help a guest who put in an inquiry. )

I made the mistake of trusting people off Airbnb once. Never again. They very petty enough to not vacate my place when the checkout time came, even stayed for a few hours till our other guests for the next booking turned up. We had to tell them to wait while we cleaned. And it is later we realised they stole our cloth iron and a thermal blower, applices which cost enough to make their rent for the night. 

Has anything like this happened to anyone else?

Yes, Although my guest had booked through Airbnb. They got more guests than they had booked for and on top of that stole my new fire stick remote and a transformer figurine.

Recently a pillow case from a matching set of sheets disappeared. I have had 2 washcloths get stolen but the topping on the cake was my plug in carbon monoxide detector. That really upset me. I did not notice until three days after....so it was difficult to determine which party it was. ...there were 3 rooms being rented. To think that someone would jeopardize the safety of other guests is disgusting. I wonder if air bnb does criminal record checks on guests.

My friend just had a guest break into her back yard when she wasn't checked in. The calibre of guests isn't always there. 

I have towels and some of my nicer pots, pans, and plates,etc. disappear steadily, especially the expensive towels. Unless you do a checkin  with verification snd formal checkout with inventory verification, you can’t know exactly who did it, or make a claim against guest  who you think did it. Some losses are just part of the business, so you just have to life with it as a cost of doing business (unless it gets out of control.

Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

That used to be my understanding too that reviews are blind, however I'm not so sure anymore that this is always the case.

I'm a co-host for another host and on her account she definitely sees guest reviews right away as they are submitted, so before she submits her own review.   I think her account is being used for a test run of proposed new features. 

It wouldn't surprise me at all if some guests are also used to trial this, and without adequate information, as usual.

(on my own account the reviews are still blind.)

However, that said, I never leave bad reviews either.  I'm just completely uncomfortable with the review mechanism. I'll still use it to say something nice about great guests when I know they had a great time at my place (fortunately a big majority) but not anything else.

@Jiw0 wrote:

That used to be my understanding too that reviews are blind, however I'm not so sure anymore that this is always the case.

I'm a co-host for another host and on her account she definitely sees guest reviews right away as they are submitted, so before she submits her own review.   I think her account is being used for a test run of proposed new features. 

It wouldn't surprise me at all if some guests are also used to trial this, and without adequate information, as usual.

(on my own account the reviews are still blind.)

However, that said, I never leave bad reviews either.  I'm just completely uncomfortable with the review mechanism. I'll still use it to say something nice about great guests when I know they had a great time at my place (fortunately a big majority) but not anything else.

So in other words, per your last paragraph, your horrible guests will book my house and I will never know they were horrible because you didn't warn me.  Is that  correct or am I missing something?    

Bad guests book over and over, because we're all afraid to say something, they can retaliate easier than the host can.  And say if they do have a bad review, and you decline them booking.. then Airbnb gives you a black eye for declining a booking.. don't think anyone can win with reviews.  

Angie,

When you see a low star number and a “won’t host again”, rest assured there’s a story there.

we have to be careful though. 11 years ago a had a website called badcustomers.com.  I had to take it down due to several lawsuits being filed against me. I think airbnb is afraid of being sued.

Angie you think I should be afraid of leaving a negative review? You're right we should leave honest reviews to warn the next person. However I doubt many people do. 

I would  review  the guest if  bad or good whatever they have to improve   because the other host should not suffer due to

the bad influence. even I give them five star and when I see the review which is not upstanding and which has Envy in it and hatred and bitterness in their heart I would give them reply for good thing for them just to improve themselves better.

I see the difference, and may be all will .I really appreciate honest. Trouble maker should not get away, but we  need to train. 

I feel that the more I  give ,the more ungrateful reviews I get. Hard to digest. 

So I may stop giving the service beyond the airnb request. 

Basic is good, not more than that. 

I have experience with the cute dog ,over feeding makesthem to poop and vomit all the places which is night mare.

I thought about that in my situation and I think those guests won't come back and won't refer other guests and if they do, they are bound to be abusive as well so a positive review is not positive diplomacy.   

If a guest doesn't book because of the bad review then maybe they were potential problem guests as well and your negative review shooed away possible troublemakers.   Like a prescreening. 

I just gave a glowing honest review to my first male Arab guest and he gave me an overly glowing review which I feel I dont really deserve but I don't know if that will deter other guests from booking because they may be sharing with someone from a Muslim country.    But you know what, not being Muslim didn't make some of my guests too great - and maybe I could have done without having them book. 

I just want nice people who behave themselves while they are staying with my brother. If I don't get an avalanche of bookings from passive aggresives who can pay the rate, then so be it. 

I would have expected a guest to not mind paying if they damaged sheets.   I cleaned up after a guest who was having her period and she clogged the filter in the drain with her blood and didnt clean out her own hair either.  She also left dried purple dye on my ecru sheets and had a very soiled washcloth and she refused to reimburse me.  I was going to let it go because she was having a tiring week but I felt just asking for reimbursement of the non regular dirty linens was okay - she disagreed and wrote me a review instead.  But she and the guest in the other room which she made a point of claiming she had no issue with - were both doing things in the bathroom that would have empowered one another to write me a bad review so I was wiping down that bathroom walls and floor and tub every day except one and it is a good thing I did. 

So my awareness and conscience are clear even though her feedback claimed otherwise.  I have the large pile of lysol wipes and the fact that  I had to open a new tub of wipes to support that I was doing an extraordinary amount of wiping down for their stay.

She was specifically subtly mean and dishonest about me - she never told me she needed more pillows but mentioned it in the review and claimed my messages were unnecessary but they included one about an extra set of towels for her - if I hadn't messaged that or offered that - maybe she would have held that against me as well.   She also claimed there were fish vendors on my block and there was not. 

I wouldn't want to have that type of guest again so if my negative-ish review stops that from happening - that is fine because this peculiar kind of weird meanness ... that is just weird.   It's not normal to torture customer service and we had the brother of a guest do the same thing - it is very odd like you just saw someone's serial killer profile or something.   

I had crappy guests over thanksgiving eho fries turkeys in my yard and left a review claiming i didnt have a shower curtain! In the private messages he claimed he wanted a plastic shower curtain instead of the very expensive cloth one i have.. he left me a four star review for this, and for ‘not having enough seating in my kitchen’... i have a table and chairs...

Fried* turkeys ^^^