I will no longer post a bad review about a guest

Answered!
Megan160
Level 9
Tucson, AZ

I will no longer post a bad review about a guest

I had an awful guest experience and tried to settle it with the guest personally. She stayed at a reduced rate and then needed to extend her stay. We gave her an even bigger rate discount. When she left, she left the place a mess. Dirty, greasy dishes, pots and pans. All the furniture was in dissaray, both sets of blankets/quilts had spots and stains on them, there were crumbs in all the beds on the mattress pads (which had to be hand picked off), and she ruined a set of sheets.

I took 3 days to cool off before I texted her because we really went out of our way to help this guest and she took advantage of us. I told her I was unhappy about the state of the place and asked her to pay $50 to replace the sheets. Prior to this text, she had nothing but glowing reviews and thanks for me in all her texts. She did not understand why she should have to pay for her sheets because I was a woman and the damaged sheets were a result of a "woman thing" and thus I should understand. I said I shouldn't have to pay for her "woman thing".

After much internal debate, I decided to warn other hosts and gave her an appropriate but still not brutal review, even leaving out the refusal to pay for damages and passing on her lame excuse for the mess. She then gave me a bad review, lying about my place and me. Prior to this review, I had 5 star reviews. Now people think my place is noisy and I am rude. My bookings have almost stoped dead in their tracks after her review. Plus, my 3 month pre-book for Jan-March canceled right after the review. I have contacted Airbnb twice about this to no avail. I had responded to her bad review, but not in much detail because I assumed that if I could prove it was a retaliatory review, it would be removed. THIS IS NOT THE CASE! Not only will they not remove it, they won't even let me expound on my explanation to her bad review.

So frustrated! I am knee deep in the process of spending a lot of money to make my other 2 rentals Airbnb rentals and now I can't even get bookings in prime season. Airbnb penalizes us for trying to warn other hosts about bad guests.

1 Best Answer
John915
Level 3
New York, United States

@Megan160

Unfortunately there is probably nothing you can do about it. Things like this happen to all of us (guests, especially newer ones have wildly different expectations) and I hate the fact that one bad review plants a seed in future guests' minds (for example, I had one who stayed for nearly a month and I left town for nearly a week - I live in the part of the home - I came back and she had left an old pizza box, empty bottles,etc....her review dinged me for cleanliness?!)

Some guests are just horrible and/or petty (and I'm sure a handful of hosts are not so great either) but the best thing to do is learn from it.

I never leave a review for a guest unless I've personally interacted with him/her. I do this because if you are the first to leave a review, your guest sees that you left one and if they felt their stay was unpleasant, they have nothing to lose by leaving you a nasty review. A host may rely on sharing their home to cover a significant portion of housing costs, extra income, etc. but a guest may book an Airbnb once or twice a year. And even if guests get not so great reviews, in many cities there are plenty of hosts who would just be happy for the income.

I've been fortunate to have not yet had many "nightmare" guests but I would learn from this experience - do not be the first to review a guest! If they feel strongly about your space (negative or positive) they will usually leave a review. If I've had a weird situation/neutral, I don't bother. If my interaction was positive, I ask them to send me private feedback as to what I can do better. If someone leaves a review, you can comment on it but if you think someone had a less than stellar experience, you as a host leaving a review only prompts a guest to leave one as well (which may be unfair, misleading, etc.)

Saw your listing and I really don't think your guest's review was that bad. If anything it was probably prompted by your interaction with her following her stay. You have 5 stars and it was overall a positive review! I have no plans to go to Tucson but I'd stay in your place! In the future, I'd just let small inconveniences like that go. Don't be a pushover but understand accidents happen and sometimes minor things occur with otherwise well-meaning guests:

-No smoking but someone opens a window thinking they can get away with it

-Someone breaks a glass

-Uses toilet and "forgets" to flush (nasty but happens)

My advice:

1.) Do not post a review first - Regardless of what you do, you get sometimes get less than 5-stars! If you've had a less than fantastic dialogue with a guest, posting a review prompts them to do the same - in your case, she knew you were upset about the sheets & was probably defensive about being asked to pay $50 for an accident - If she thought you were upset with her as a host, I am not suprised that she didn't give you a fantastic, glowing review in response to the notification that you had left her a review.  

2.) Don't sweat the small stuff

3.) Just buy a $10 set of sheets from Wal-Mart and consider it a "cost of doing business" if they are ruined at some point

View Best Answer in original post

232 Replies 232

in hindsight this is true

Lorna54
Level 3
Apollo Bay, Australia

yes just experienced that from a Canadian guest. I gave her half price as it was the day before . Then she took 7 hours to decide blocking my calendar . I spent the entire day out of hospital on the phone to airbnb about it. Finally she booked it and the mess she left was so disrespectful of my home. I cant believe someone can leave such filth. Yes I escalated it and didnt get anywhere *even with pics. and I am waiting for the 'retaliation review' . It is not easy !

Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

I am pretty sure the review system is blind...neither of you can see what the person wrote and I have no idea how it benefits anyone if you can see what they wrote.  I have had a review I've left on a guest removed by airbnb...they were a HORRIBLE guest and sadly someone else will get them at some point.  The worst guests are the ones who are staying at a discount--just saying the less people pay the more they want and my daughter says that when someone says they will rate you five stars..WATCH OUT!  Those are the ones who will rate you the lowest.

I live in a very, very touristy place that is the exception to all rules.  People come here and lose their minds and I see people have great reviews by hosts and they are not great guests--so I usually chalk it up to they arrive to my home drunk...or something happens while they are out having fun and it makes them behave badly.  Don't get me started on guests...after 130-some sets of guests I've hosted, I can tell you the more you host the more unpredictable people can be and the more room for damage and error.  That is all just part and parcel to this.

It's price point people are after.  You can't even break even if folks are expecting 500 thread count sheets and a full hot meal when they arrive. I actually had a review that said they were disappointed I didn't have sandwiches and bottled water when they arrived...she asked me three times if I had sandwiches lol.  My advice is just do the best you can.  The more people you host, the more chance you're going to be replacing something or having to figure out how to get some goofy stain out of the comforter or where did the picture go that was hanging off the wall lol.  Just clean it up and get ready for the next guest...just move forward.  Clear your mind and thank goodness that guest has left and hopefully the next one will be better.

Lorna54
Level 3
Apollo Bay, Australia

best advice ! I am coming slowly to this conclusion. I have had a good run to be honest but last few were just absolutely FERAL . It hurts as I really take pride in my home/business. I bought all new furniture. I do the garden myself . I had it all renovated in the bathrooms and to walk into to a pile of rubbish and alcohol bottles and FILTHY kitchens - leaving their crap everywhere is UNBELIEVABLE and totally DISRESPECTFUL it takes me a few days to shake it off. I have raised these guests with airbnb.. taken photos and my gripe is the power they have as you complain (for extra cleaning eg) and they get their back up .. deny it .. regardless of photo evidence and then to PAY BACK I get the bad review ??? I don't think this is right and this is something that needs to be adjusted in a fair system . We are working for airbnb as well. We are hosting and yes shake it off I fully agree .. but to wear the 'badge of a bad review' in the bargain ?? I think all guests/hosts who have had been raised with the resolution centre should have their opportunity to leave a retaliation review revoked. It isnt just and it isnt accurate and it is damaging to the host's potential business and reputation . 

I feel same as well. 

If a host have had to involve the resolution centre to claim the costs to a damage, then any review from a guest after this should be revoked, or a guest should not be given the opportunity to leave a review after a damage. Reviews should be a privilege to guests who have respected a host's property.

All guests are entitled to a review, but guests should loose this entitlement when they choose to disrespect a host's property as any host who gets their property damaged go through a lot of stress trying to correct a  damage.

Norma-Lee0
Level 2
Fort Lauderdale, FL

Out of 32 wonderful guest, I have had the worst guest ever. He checked out on Monday, and I have never seen my rooms left in this way. From this guest checked in,  I knew he was going to be a problem, but I was cordial and professional when I interacted with him. I did not expect him to leave the mess that I saw.

My home is open to all guests to sit in the family and living room, but Fred acted like the couch in my living room was for his use only. He only used his room to sleep in, and that was after in fell asleep in the couch, everyday including the weekends. When other guests or family members came into the family room, he would continue to lay in the couch with his legs and feet stretched out. The one day we were all talking, and the other guest had to stand in the living room, because Fred would not take his feet out of the couch to let him sit down(so rude). Another time my boyfriend came into the living room and he did the same thing, and would not let him sit in the couch. So on that day I had to bring him to my bedroom so that we could watch TV. So my boyfriend told me he would not visit me until this guest left. I could not understand why he had to lay in my couch on his labtop everyday, because he had a large desk in his room.

I have house rules, and one of them is no feet in the couches, but he just did not care. Also quiet time from 11 - 5, but he would be on his phone loud at night, distrupting everyone in my house. He would'nt even close the door, of his room, so we all had to here his conversations at night.

Ok so when checked out on Monday he left the room in a disgusting state. He left  42 empty and half filed bottles and cans all over the room and under the bed. He cleaned his teach with tooth picks and just tossed them on the floor, desk and in the bed. There was half eaten food left in the bed, as well as crumbs and trash left on the desk. He put his dirty feet on the walls and left foot prints.

I don't know how to complete a review on this guest, as I know he will give me a bad review, and that will affect my bookings.  I get 5 star reviews. However I do feel I should warn other hosts, as Fred is definately not a good guest for the Airbnb enviroment, and should stick to hotels.

@Norma-Lee0  Respecting boundaries in a shared home environment is part of the shared home experience.  Of course it is the host's responsibility to clarify what the boundaries are both in written rules and in reinforcing the rules.  This guest is more suited to entire apartment or hotel experience.  If you do not want him back then you should give him a thumbs down review.  You cannot tip toe around the fact that this person is not suited to the shared environment hosting.

That being said, you do publish that the couch is an optional bed.  Is that the same couch he slept on or is there a different couch in the living room?  Since you have two separate rooms listed in your home, you might modify your guest access description to read, "guest are welcome to share the living room, kitchen... etc with other guests and the hosts."  

Hope this helps

Thanks Linda, I will change the description on the couch, as you suggested.

I have had similar incidents. When these things occur, you must document them. That means pics, video and audio recording, writing down, in detail, each incident (exactly as it occurs--place, date, time, events, etc.). Then, you must contact Airbnb during the booking. They will usually allow you out of the booking and penalize the individual if they are clearly breaking the rules and being disrespectful. I know, I have had it happen. You can also elect not to review this person. If you do not respond to the request for a review within 14 days, it automatically disappears from the Airbnb site. I have had some not review me, even though I reviewed them--too busy and all.

Rose157
Level 1
Sabah, Malaysia

I even had a same issue as your but not until the guest mess up my place. Making a complain to Airbnb doesnt help us resolve the problem so much end up have to settle ourself. 

A30
Level 5
California, United States

I hope that you will leave a public reply to her post and remind future guests that your stellar reviews speak for themselves. Sorry to hear this happened to you. 

Jerry-and-Kerrie0
Level 3
Tarpon Springs, FL

My husband was in the Navy for 28 years. One of the things I learned from him is how to write an evaluation and this is easily translated to AIRBNB reviews.

Tale of 2 Guests:

Guest One is AWESOME. You want to adopt them, be their best friends for life and babysit their grandchildren - in other words - you were happy with them.

Guest Two is not-so-good. They left the place a mess, your neighbor called once asking to have them turn the music down at 3 am, and you found a broken lamp behind a dresser.

Your review of Guest One:

Amazing guests. They left the property in perfect condition - so much so I would swear no one had stayed there. The unit was sparkling clean.  They were quiet, respectful, friendly, enjoyed our area and overall proved once again hosting through AIRBNB is an awesome experience. We can not wait to see them again. 

Your review of guest two:

Arrived and checked out on time. Congenial. The four friends enjoyed their stay. 

People will read between your lines.

I have not had any really bad guests (yet), as a matter of fact I feel spoiled by most of them. They are usually so good that if a guest leaves a single crumb in the toaster oven, for a split second I think to myself how bad they were, then laugh at myself for the thought even crossing my mind, ha ha. I have had a few though that left many days worth of dirty dishes and moved everything around, mud on the floor, coffee spills on the counter and floor, splatter on oven, stuff like that. They are usually first timers. I then send a decent review, give them 5 stars, but in the personal message I thank them for staying here then I tell them that in the future, they should clean up a tad better because that is what is expected from airbnb'ers, and if they want to get good reviews just to be a little more aware of that, it is give and take and personal with airbnb. I have done this maybe 5 times, and each time the guests have thanked me for letting them know and tell me they were not really sure about that and will do better next time. I also now, in my greeting note, say "Just a note for first time airbnb'ers, cleaning up after cooking, taking shoes off if muddy or sandy, and leaving the place as close to how you found it is very appreciated." So far, so good. I also always ask if there was anything they would have liked me to have or improve on, and, especially in the beginning, their suggestions really helped me out, and they could see that I was trying to make the place as nice as possible. Once I was left with a sink full of dirty dishes and a note that said, 'We were in a hurry, sorry for the dishes," and a 20 dollar bill for compensation. I had to laugh....

Tracy97
Level 2
Wildomar, CA

It’s sad, but you really have to wait for them to rate you before expressing any unhappiness. Any expression of disappointment or request for money should be through Airbnb not private text. But I totally inderstand your frustration. 1 bad review could ruin you.

Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Nah, one bad review doesn't ruin you unless maybe it's the first review ever, in which case you can just cancel the listing, fix whatever needed fixing and create a new one.  I know because a friend is an AirBnB host who operates a hostel that's a lot... less upmarket. 😉

It's emotionally strange to watch my friend's listings actually because personally I go out of my way to meet any guest request and generally try anything at all to make the place as good as it can be, and to help guests have a great holiday.  (When people have a fun holiday they will also leave a good review, almost regardless of what your place was like.. and the other way around)  But then seeing some guests at my friend's property struggle, I felt like jumping in the car immediately and sort it out, but then over time I learned to just let it go, and realize that it is what it is, for a very cheap price.. 🙂

And it's been very interesting to see how things develop after bad reviews.   And that AirBnB will actually temporarily disable a listing if the average score goes down to 4 (!) stars or below, with more than one 1-star review in there.  You get a message saying that your listing has been disabled for a week, please improve and then you can re-enable it after your week in the naughty host's corner. 😉

Especially if the bad review is due to a single incident and you answer it professionally I don't think there is too much of an impact, especially if there are many other reviews that are really good.  And if you have additional bookings lined up then those guests will ideally put in good reviews and push the bad one down.