I wish we could rate guests based on their ability to read the information provided.

Marilyn43
Level 10
Back Valley, Australia

I wish we could rate guests based on their ability to read the information provided.

I have had several guests who do not read the information of my listing correctly and then complain about what is not included i.e. a washing-machine. Then they downrate the listing because it didn't have everything they wanted.

For hosts there is no comeback on this and yet we don't force people to book: it is their decision.

I feel we need  a way to rate guests based on the fact they don't do their homework.

131 Replies 131
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Marilyn43 

hehe 99 % of my guests woud get 1* 😄

In last 4 months just 1 (one) of my guests has read my house rules before check in.

Thanks for that. I'ts good to know that we all share these issues.

I know exactly where you are coming from , Marlyn. Out of the 10 lots of guests I had in the last quarter of 2017 , I have had only 1 guests that on departure , I realised had read my House Rules , although that did not mean they followed it.While I acknowleged  that not everyone paid attention to the part on the web site that stayed clearly the house rules, I had provided a printed copy on the premisrs along with other information , this too has been found unheeded. 

I feel that Airbnb need to have some ways , before a guest confirms the booking, a column for them to check the have read the house rules and agrees to abide by them , failing which a host can have a way to seek recourse .

By this I feel we should be able to rate a guest ,and it should show upnin their profiles ,   like a host gets ratings

After all , why shouldn’t a host have the same right as a guest ?

@Marilyn43 @Margaret K.Y.GREAT idea, Marilyn. Currently, I specifically ask ALL guests (once booked) if they have read my entire listing, specifically the 'other notes', 'house rules', and 'additional rules'. I do this on the Airbnb message thread. This way, if there is an issue that comes up later requiring resolution, I can show Airbnb that the guest said they read everything - If they actually did not, that is their problem. I do this because Airbnb is more likely to support me if an issue arises related to an unfair and inaccurate review, or an issue that requires me seeking monies from the guest or their seeking a refund from me if the guest confirms in writing they read my entire listing and house rules. I also make sure guests ae aware of the top few things that could cause serious damage (hot tub or septic system misuse / abuse, etc) in my Welcome Email and/or in person at check-in, just for my own peace of mind. I do know that most guests say they have read everything but they have not - Even though it is posted on Airbnb AND in my Welcome Binder. Frustrating. Hence, I love your suggestion here, thank you.

Yes, I agree and think it's a good idea to have guests tick a check list. Most guests have been great and I have just had a horrendous experience where the guests extended their stay but left without paying most of the bill and caused damage and smoked in the bedroom but, hopefully I have learned a few things that I won't let happen again. Sue

I was wondering about an age restriction? I just had (6) 20 years olds and they made such a mess. If you can't rent a care until you are 25  years old, I was wondering if I can have the same age restriction or will I be descriminating?

Hi Denise,

I'm afraid that age restrictions might break discrimination laws, and I believe since your place is large enough to house 6 guests, chances are great that you will be finding a great number of guests in that age range, since even a high price divided by 6 people is pretty reasonable. You might discourage younger guests by not allowing parties, restricting guests to the same number as those who booked, setting an early hour for noise restriction, and at least infering that you live close by. In my experience, most people who want to party get disinterested fast when they know the landlord is in the building and see noise restrictions.

To my knowledge age is not a protected class.  I believe you are safe to set a starting age to rent.

I just want to share my thoughts....

I don't think think it's discrimination by having an age requirement.  You're right, to rent a car you must be 25 after that there is no age to look forward to maybe if they drive for 5 more years they will be more responsible at age 30 ( with life experiences) to rent in another person's home.  Many young adults are not responsible and any one around the age of 20 do not know what respectful clothing is and they barely know how to turn on a washing machine or a TV.  I've experienced this with Millinials they act like adults but have the mentality or common sense of children.  Yes, I think there are responsible wise ones but in our listings if they are reading our rules they should be acknowledging them and respecting them also.

Same here!  Most don’t read my house rules and so I jokingly imbedded in the list of rules towards the bottom that “at any given time you give full permission to be thrown into the pool!” If you’ve read this far I commend you for being one of the few who read thoutoghly and when you check in say the phrase “I win” and I will know you read it and you are then free of being thrown in.  (I’ve thrown in over 700 guests in the past year, they think it’s hilarious!)  obviously not the ones you can tell that just won’t have it lol

Marilyn43
Level 10
Back Valley, Australia

Love it Robert.

Sue325
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Oh, that's great, I love it. Shame I don't have a pool! Sue

Another idea is to place the rules in laminated cards throughout the space.  That way, as people use the space, they (hopefully) know what is expected of them (and or provided or not) without having to read a whole sheet of paper, which aparently is a lot to ask!

Yes I just printed out two copies of the rules, one is by the front door, one is by the bedroom mirror. I also put the wifi codes on there at the bottom so they have to read the rules accidentally when they are looking for the wifi