I would like to charge deposits on Month long stays only

Stephen237
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

I would like to charge deposits on Month long stays only

I've had guests stay one month or just over three times this year. I would like to see an option for us Hosts to have the opportunity to charge a deposit on one month’s stays or longer.  

I.E.: The first guest created a real mess in the room that took me three days to scrub... the second guest was perfect... the third guest that checked out? OH-VEY!!! Ruined (stained) a full set of towels with stringent facial cleanser, the kitchen was greased with food up to the ceiling and he ruined a food processor (suppose he was grinding tree bark?) all from his desire to cook Indian food with spices. The room was clean as was the bathroom but this is where I would have like to have had the opportunity to charge him an additional $100.00.

Twice I have had issues of this sort with Guests staying one month or longer only. I would like to have the option to request an additional $250 for deposits on one month stays.

Thanks and I hope Airbnb is paying attention to this request. 

4 Replies 4
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Perhaps you do not understand the Security Deposit on Air BNB, @Stephen237,  As a Super Host I would think you have read the Help Center information about this but in case you have not, just add a security deposit on your listing.  It is not collected unless there is a claim.  Good luck

how rude (reported as rude, insulting) i.e.: bloggers! LOL

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

You could do two listings - one with beefed up rules/higher security deposit with longer minimum stays and another with lower values for shorter term.

But as @Linda108 said, guests aren't charged the security deposit - it's just "pre-authorised" to be drawn against if you submit a claim, so there's no harm in adding it to your listing. Mine is set at $500, and it doesn't seem to have put off guests (although I imagine that could vary by market)

Thanks Allison...

First, "I understand the rules of security deposits," second, I've been an Airbnb Superhost since I started three years ago, and in addition to never having issues with long term stays before this year, I just thought it would be nice to have the 'powers that be' implant options into long term stays beyond just a percentage discount. 

But alas! I did come up with the following that solves my issue:

1. I raised the price for a 28 day stay by $200… it was 1,400 now it’s 1,600… and…
  2. Added it to the bottom of the description of “A private room for your convenience” ---

Your private bedroom in the quiet & trendy neighborhood of Echo Park; nestled just above Sunset Blvd, centrally located to a thriving downtown Los Angeles, Hollywood Walk of Fame, Universal City/Studios, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood and thirteen miles from Venice, Santa Monica & Malibu beaches... restaurants, hiking trails, golf courses, World renowned museums; and least to be mentioned - famous and infamous party places, sport venues and theatre! (7 day/$430 - 30 day/$1600 single occupancy)

I have set my prices accordingly to not have guests additional charges beyond the Airbnb fee and the Los Angles Hotel Tax (which Airbnb collects on our behalf and distributes to LA directly) excluding any additional service charges such as a security deposits and/or a cleaning fee. Personally, I like it when I don’t have additional charges – all very simple, straight and forward for one price.