I would love your opinion on asking hosts about ...

Steven200
Level 1
Huntsville, AL

I would love your opinion on asking hosts about ...

Hi, (and than you for taking the time to read!) I bet I already know the answer to this question, but as hosts, do you all get hounded by travel bloggers who want discounts for blogging, video, photos etc? I am starting a highly publicized nationwide tour recording semi-famous acoustic musicians in their home towns and thought it would be incredible to do it in host properties because they are so much more clued in to the local culture etc

I will then, also take photos / video of the properties themselves to add to the blog & all social channels with links to the specific properties (and #airbnb + #city tags etc). It should be a really gorgeous pairing of artists and interesting spaces -- and appeal to the kind of travellers who book these rooms.

While I might have to pay full price for the rooms, it will be on a shoestring budget and I wondered if you all had any tips that could cut down on expenses? For instance: are some hosts willing to give discounts on off-nights etc?

I will be doing a sample video show / recording soon and can provide that to potential hosts. But I don't want to if it's entirely frowned upon in the community.

I would be so grateful for your thoughts!

- Steven

3 Replies 3

Yes, we get requests like this.  We always say no.  

Blogs and bloggers seem to think that their audience will always love what they love and that's a false premise.  By posting pictures of the homes you stay in while on a "highly publicized nationwide tour recording semi-famous acoustic musicians in their home towns" you assume the audience gives a hootenanny about where YOU stayed.  There is little benefit to this type of activity from a host's perspective, in my opinion, and will not result in increased bookings from whatever exposure it gets.  And let's just talk about assuming, up front, that all your host stays are going to be extraordinary - what if they're not - what is your plan for "exposing" them for the discount you requested?

What you're asking for is paid marketing or charity or, in essence, a paid testimonial.  The marketing budget should built into the "nationwide tour" budget; you aren't a registered charity so we can't write off the charity option against our business; and paid testimonials, assuming you are going to disclose to your audience that you are being given a discount for staying at a host's place and writing about how nice it is, shouldn't be believed.  This last option also sets a precidence that all stays are negotiable - which they are not.  

I'm sure you wanted a different answer, and maybe there will be an alternative opinion, but we do not engage in this type of activity with our business.   

And most hosts keep track of their nightly rate in a way that "off-nights" are already discounted. Many have different weekday and weekend prices in effect. If they are using the Smart Pricing option, Airbnb does this for them automatically by monitoring a series of metrics.  

Thank you! That's exactly what I wanted to hear: honest opinions either way. You have great points all 'round - which is why I asked here. I appreciate you taking time to answer! - Steven