IF YOU OWN YOUR PROPERTY, DO NOT LET ANYONE HOST IT FOR YOU!!!

Air-Plus-Concierge0
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

IF YOU OWN YOUR PROPERTY, DO NOT LET ANYONE HOST IT FOR YOU!!!

These AIRBNB people are complete morons , and everyone listen up!!  if you let someone host your property, make sure you set the account up, because if the SO-CALLED host sets up your property and later on you want to part ways, you are in jeopardy of losing all your future bookings...i lost over $9k in payed bookings because AIRBNB can't figure out a way to delete the so-called host without de-activating the entire listing.....yep! these morons who have a billion dollar company cant figure out how to do this...i have tapes, confirmed payment with confirmation #'s and they say ....we'll get a case manager or they will send it to LEGAL DEBT.........................7 months of pimping out my home, and these fricken a-holes do absolutely  nothing for me!! Its absolutely so tough to understand the thinking of these people not to mention the time i waste trying to get an answer on the phone...........going on for almost a month.......now i understand why so many people hate this company and want to shut them down........but GUESS what??    i know how???????  thats my ace in my back pocket.......the real sad part its so obvious that the lawyers trying to shut them down are so blinded by trying to regulate AIRBNB, AND ITS RIGHT ON THE TIP OF THEIR NOSE................Anyway,, i would love to hear from someone with any ideas what i should do........thanks!

19 Replies 19

@Air-Plus-Concierge0 - It states right up front in the terms and conditions that you must create your own listing as the property owner.  You then need to  add your paid consultant/manager as a co-host.   

I WAS LIED BY THE HOST!  I ALSO SAW THAT I WAS GETTING 100% OF MONEY BUT THERE IS A FLAW IN THE SYSTEM..........AIRBNB ALLOWED A CRIMINAL ACT THAT IMPLICATES THEM.....BUT I CONTACTED THE CEO.......BOY, WAS HE SURPRISED THAT I HAD HIS PERSONAL EMAIL ADDRESS.....THEY HAVE HUGE PROBLEMS THAT I POINTED OUT, WHICH WILL CRUMBLE THE COMPANY WITHIN 16 MONTHS.....TERMS AND CONDITIONS MEAN **bleep** WHEN LAWS PROHIBIT SHADY CONDUCT BY COMPANIES THAT IGNORE HONESTY IN THEIR DAY TO DAY OPERATIONS........GOOD LUCK!!!!

@Air-Plus-Concierge0 - lied to in what way?  What kind of "criminal activity"?  And whom, exactly, did you contact?  You're yelling a lot of bold and inflammatory statements without so much as a bit of information about how any of us, as fellow hosts, could be of service to you.   

I learned a lot by this and thought wrong by letting someone create my account....But airbnb will soon have a sectiion of verification of ownership of property and owner of property can not be kept hostage by the rules they have in place........i got lucky by contacting the ceo......Was not my intent, but I was heard by someone who could make final decision without going through a zillion people,,,,,,it took me 15 minutes and got full compensation...But airbnb needs to be a tad nore proffessional and this issue has been addessed to the operators......

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Air-Plus-Concierge0

You have made a few hefty statements here Burt and I am sorry if you have been dealt with harshly.

The problem here Burt is not restricted to Airbnb, it is a part of every facet of life. People want to bend the rules to suit themselves.

Did you have prior knowledge that short term renting was taking place in your property?

Were you receiving any benefit from the hosting that was taking place in your property?

At Airbnb Burt, it is the user that has the account, not the property and Airbnb make every endeavour to ensure that account holders understand the rules that they agree to abide by as either hosts or guests.

And this is what happens when you decide that the rules are not for you, they are for others.

Had you and this "SO-CALLED host" set your property up as an Airbnb listing by the guidelines and rules laid down by the company you would not be in this situation. You would have retained the 'admin' of your property and none of this would have happened, the "SO-CALLED host" could have gone his way and you would have retained the reviews, the future bookings and you would have seen Airbnb as a great company.

It is more than a little unfair to call Airbnb 'friggin a-holes' 'morons', 'indulging in shady activity'! 

Airbnb do not sanction 'criminal acts'....and yeah I have Brian Chesky's email address, nearly all of us do, it's freely available...... those who run this company have nothing to hide from.

It is just really frustrating when someone wants the review window re-opened for them because they forgot to leave a review. They want to raise cain because they can't get a full refund for a property they accidentally booked or forgot to turn up at on the reserved day.

If this company 'bent' the rules every time somebody did not bother to do their homework, the platform would sink into complete chaos......And I am not aware that that would be legally challengeable.

Just one other thing Burt, your language and your tone here are not going to win you any friends. 

You may have had an entirely different outcome, had you approached the company in a conciliatory way and pleasantly asked for advice on how to solve a problem that was of your making instead of waving around a big verbal stick.

A soft pleasant approach in life gets you far further than unbridled aggression.

Rob

Burt, I do hope that you can sort this out but please don't be too hard on the company

For starters, 

If you are a property owner , which i am, and also co-host, from day one, the host i hired decided to create her own profile with my property.......which i had no clue that whoever creates the  listing , basically controls the listing, which is 100% wrong!!   Airbnb does not evn veriify ownership of property,,,, and takes whoever sets up the account on a good faith basis......now , if you own your property , you pay property taxes urrlities, liability insurance , upkeep .....list goes on...........the host  HAS NO RISK AT ALL!!! and can actually keep your house hostage........That is not right and AIRBNB has no safeguards to protect the property owner.....after showing my property taxes  to airbnb that i am sole owner,, and showed through payment  section that i was recieving a 100% of earning, they could only eliminate the host if the account was de-activated........i have been with airbnb for 10 months and had over 15 positive reviews..........The Airbnb people assured me in numerous emaiks that i would not lose the reviews and paid bookings that were confirmed,,,,,,,again i had all documents and recordings of every call and I knew that this was going to be some sort of mistake that would cause me  to lose my confirmed  bookings that totaled out to 20k....plus....But AIRBNB ASSURED  ME VWEBALLY and through email not to worry that everything would be transferd over to new listing......AS i predicted ,and mentioned to the operators 3 times prior ,  i was going to lose my bookings and reviews...........well. out of the 5 confirmed bookings 3 bookings re-booked,,,but it was a lower price of a few hundred dollars each....And after I  pointed this out to them, they admitted fault(all in emails and verbally) and actually paid me the differnce........but the other 2 never rebooked and i lost over 18-23k ....and their response was OOPS! let me connect this with a case manager, and nothing happened and then after a few more calls, they say it has been moved to legal dept.........IF i knew that this would of happened , I would of left the host as it was...and not risk losing future paid bookings.........But AIRBNB  validated their mistake by already paying  me for the other bookings, so, they have made no effort to reply back to me ...AND ALL I ASKED WAS TO DELETE HER NAME FROM MY PROPERTY......AND MY REVIEWS STILL WOULD BE UP, AND FUTURE EARNINGS WOULD NEVER OF BEEN LOST....................ROB, I WAS VERY POLITE TO THIS COMPANY THROUGH ALL OF THIS,  because I have all i need in emails and tapes if need be to take them to court ,,,,,but after a month of them telling me story after story, it was time to take a different approach...........i contacted the CEO ON HIS PERSONAL EMAIL.......my funds will be paid in full  if nobody  books during the days of the bookings i lost......So now you have the entire story,, and If i did not pursue this, I would be in court  and on the news showing the entire country the  faukts and wrong doings of this company..........BTW.....THE OTHER COMPANIES had no problem deleting the host on their site and i lost nothing,,,,my reviews are up and all my bookings are still there............

Do you now have a better grasp on what happened, and the stick i used was a tooth pick.....i deal with billion dollar companies atleast twice a month....and rectify problems , i just never thought it would carry over to my personal life.....When you are honest and believe you are right........and talk to the head guy,,,,you would be amazed of the outcome......Its just figuring out who can make the final decision......and it was painless ,,, company has a ton of problems...i just eliminated one of them........whats your take now??

OMG WHY ARE YOU YELLING AT ALL OF US?  DO YOU EVEN HAVE THE SLIGHTEST CLUE WHAT YOU ARE DOING WHEN YOU WRITE IN ALL CAPS?  DO YOU DO THIS TO THE HIGH CORPORATE MUCKITY-MUCKS YOU CLAIM TO DEAL WITH ON A DAILY BASIS?  IT'S RUDE, INSENSITIVE, AND SHOWS A LACK OF CHARACTER ON YOUR PART TO BE RESPECTFUL TO THIS COMMUNITY AND THESE FORUMS.  PLEASE STOP IT. 

i just got full payment of 6200$ from airbnb.......I guess being hard on the company is only the way to solve problems with these people......

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Robin you have the patience of an angle. I took this as a classic 'angry' post, hard to take seriously. One in which, in all probability, neither will Airbnb because - they do not have to.

true i was angry, but airbnb  caused this and i just took it to the ceo.....its all fixed !! I was  mad because the continous delays  and no replies ,,,,They did not act professional and clueless to my problem.....once i spoke to main guy.......he completely agreed........all my documents of emails from airbnb   and tapes validated my problem.....got paid and reviews are up this monday...lots of kinks they need to workout....a few they were clueless about....we are all good

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

What was the criminal act?

You do not say.

David

i took care of it!!  the flaw deals with $$$$ ........without getting into detail,  they were not aware of a majpr flaw with payments....and if it was a mistake or not.....cetain banking laws do not care... .........i do this for a living and stumbled upon this....they have an outdated program.......how i found out was a total mistake until i did a few tests and brought it to their attention........I checked again and they rectified it to my knowlege....

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

So the issue was that you got involved with AirBnb without taking the time to find out how it worked.

I did have a quick look at your listing and see you have one review from when after you presumably took over, I also see aspects in your listing that suggests you do not understand important issues. All the fines for example.

David

fines for what???  cancelling?