INVITATION STRICT POLICY 30 days

INVITATION STRICT POLICY 30 days

Hi!

- quick recap, I have received a cancellation 18hr after check in and Airbnb did allow 50% refund to the guest despite my strict policy -

so following my bad experience with Strict policy I asked for getting Strict policy 30 days. I have received thumbs up by Airbnb but I just wonder and ask you why is this policy only on Invitation?  why is this not an option to choose when you list your property? It looks like to me that this unfair refund after check in has been hidden properly  between the lines and once you get burned by an unfair cancellation , only then you are entitled to get the Strict policy 30 days.

11 Replies 11
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

IF Super Strict 30 Days was so easy to get, then of course,  every host would clamor for it and get it, right? Besides Airbnb's recent trend is to 'water down' their old Strict policy, not to ramp it up.

You happened to asked for it after that (separate) guest experience, but probably got the new policy based on the logistics (merit) of your particular listings. I doubt it was as a result of that booking, at all.

Thank you Fred for sharing your thoughts. However I still believe that we, as pro host, should have the chance to list our property with the best metrics and options.

And if these options are linked to merit, well also the refund option should be linked as well.

While  It's a strategic business action to offer a ref or not ref rate, I really dont see any good use in allowing refund after check in. Obviously I'm speaking from my, as host, point of view

Allowing a full refund in many, many cases is absurd. Imagine how creative the scammers can be to get away with not paying anything. I see no reasons why every host shouldn't be on Super Strict 30 Days in want to; in fact, if my mind serves me right, that was how it was 3+ years ago.

Deb125
Level 10
Lahaina, HI

Ridiculous,  Here in Hawaii, everyone has a 60 day cancellation... If you cancel 60 days prior to arrival you get a refund.  Cancellations 60 days prior to arrival, -0- or  at the option of the host if the space is rebooked you can refund the guest..  Airbnb different story, if a host cancels,  (which is typically because the guest asks for the time to be cancelled, and can't seem to cancel it)  AIRBNB penalizes the host, (I don't want a guest to stay if they want to cancel)  AIRBNB won't even let your rebook the space, they keep the dates blocked out, who does that benefit?  NO ONE

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

I can't imagine that any professional host and/or commercial enterprise (e.g., property managed listings) would accept any other Cancellation terms other than Super Strict 30 / 60. I would think they would have access to these terms automatically.

I also don't understand why non-commercial hosts who run their Airbnb's in a professional manner (as attested to by occupancy rate, reviews, and revenue) should be denied the option of having access to these same terms. Most of the Airbnb listings surrounding my rental are commercially managed. They all have the Super Strict 30 or 60 listed as their cancellation policy. They do little business with Airbnb (they have other sites they get bookings from), while I do a lot of business with Airbnb - I had 100% Occupancy this past year via AIrbnb; these commercially managed listings had 10% Occupancy via Airbnb, based on Airbnb's own report that appeared on my dashboard one day. So why do I have to operate under less favorable terms when we are all obstensibly playing the same game on  the same field? Doesn't seem right, to me.

Be cool if it was extended to hosts who bring a certain % of their yearly booking to Airbnb; kind of a 'bonus'. In example, if they book at least 300/365 days via Airbnb, or something along those lines. It would be just one of the 'bonuses' of a new incentive program.

Fred, that is a fantastic idea. And/or, it could be determined by revenue brought in.  At this point, I am out-performing these commercial enterprises by 520% (per Airbnb) DESPITE the fact that I operate at a distinct disadvantage on multiple fronts. Gee, wonder what I could do if I were supported in the same manner they are when it comes to having access to favorable terms and policies?

It is huge what some listings (hosts) do for Airbnb, why not have a reward (or bonus) system, that includes many bonuses as in policy,  allowed cancellations (1-2 per year);  on what % of how much they book through Airbnb, a true Hotline, specially featured, etc, etc. Encourage hosts; after this dead-beat last year for hosts, they sure can use some new things to be excited about.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

From what a CS rep told me you need 6 listing to get it now if you were not grandfathered into it in the past. You have 7 listings, so you qualified for it.  

Good to know.

I wasnt aware of this, thank you for sharing!