Idea to keep getting 5 star reviews from guests with new rating system

Amy-and-Brian0
Level 10
Orlando, FL

Idea to keep getting 5 star reviews from guests with new rating system

With the new rating system we were concerned that we'd start seeing less than our normal 5 star reviews.
What we did was set up a canned reply for people who are good guests we'd recommend and try to put the words "Exceeded Expectations" into their heads.

It says:

"Thank you for leaving everything so clean! You definitely earned a five star review from us and we hope to have exceeded your expectations as well.
Please come stay with us anytime and travel home safely!"

For guests we won't recommend, we say something to the effect of "We hope to have exceeded your expectations and that you get home safely."

So far, it seems to have worked as we now consistently get 5 stars. (That and we deserve it 🙂 )
Just a tip for others.

15 Replies 15
Ricardo85
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Amy-and-Brian0

What about Terms of Service item 10.3:

"10.3 Members are prohibited from manipulating the Ratings and Reviews system in any manner, such as instructing a third party to write a positive or negative Review about another Member."

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

I don't see how this applies. We aren't manipulating them, nor is it a 3rd party.

We are simply stating we hope that they found their stay as exceeding expectations - the words they will see on the screen when reviewing. 

They are still free to choose whatever they want.

@Amy-and-Brian0

"You definitely earned a five star review from us..."

Inform in advance what your review will be and not thinking this is manipulation is very naive.

"..try to put the words "Exceeded Expectations" into their heads."

Is it not manipulating? I don´t think so...

Ricardo

Se você achou esta resposta útil não deixe de dar um "Like".

Meu Perfil.

Coloque "@Ricardo". Assim eu recebo uma notificação.

I don't want to quibble with you, but the rule you are quoting is written so that people don't pay for reviews or for getting glowing reviews from friends that pretend to book.

We also aren't manipulating any "systems" by asking for a positive review from an actual customer after their stay, especially when deserved.

Encouraging a review is just good business practice. 

@Amy-and-Brian0...I think Ricardo is just kidding with you and he cant stop laughing that you take his BS serious...

I agree with you Brian & Amy!

Your suggestion is really helpful.  Thanks for sharing!

B

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I have not noticed a negative difference in my reviews or my review rate since the new rating system has rolled out. In fact, both statistics have improved. But to your point ... in one of my listings the wifi password is "5StarReview" I think it does work well to put the idea into their heads.

@Emilia42 THATS a good one..!!!

Dont let Ricardo know :-))))))))

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Interesting post, @Amy-and-Brian0.  You are operating as a business should with not only complimenting your guest but also expecting that they will recognize value.

Claire475
Level 9
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg

Nice idea Brian and Amy

Thank you for sharing with us. 

As I wrote on another thread, recently I had guests who gave me a great review: Everything was perfect, I was kind and helpful, the room was perfectly clean, pillows and bed very comfortable, decor adorable. And yes they gave me a 4*. I could cry. Perhaps a little nudge as you have mentioned may help.

Thanks again! 

Thanks for the suggestions here Brian and Amy. Ricardo obviously has nothing better to do with his time.

With ratings you just have to accept that there are people in the world who just can't give anyone 100% and never take it personally. I have had the same thing happen to me a few times. 5* plus rave comments but an overall of 4*. Probably the most annoying was 2 NZers who because they were arriving in town after our food shops would be closed I thought I would organise a meal for them. Plus because their plane was delayed they didn't arrive until nearly 10pm. Rave review, 5* for everything but 4* overall. To me the system should not allow a guest to have 5* for everything then 4* overall. Firstly it makes no sense especially when they have not listed one item in their comments that they had a problem with. At the very minimum if a guest or a host enters 5* for each item and then tries to give a lower overall rating the system should a) tell them they have just entered 5* so 4* isn't logical or b) you have just entered 5* please state the reason for a lower overall rating. At least the owner or guest has some idea what the perceived problem was and can recitify it otherwise you can become disillusioned with the platform and move elsewhere.

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Amy-and-Brian0, have a look at this recent conversation with a similar suggestion: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Keeping-up-your-ratings/m-p/904795#M223665

As I state in this thread, it does make me feel slightly uncomfortable to have to do this, but it does seem to be working for me too. And @Ricardo, no, I don't believe it breaches the TOS as this isn't extortion (which happens often) nor does it involve writing a review for a third party. It is simply encouraging our guests to leave a review for us (as fewer and fewer seem to...)

Jay17
Level 3
Portland, OR

The problem with the rating system is that some guests just can't seem to add. I get 5 star ratings on all the sub categories and then a 4 star Overall. How does that work? It's a corrupted system from the notion of rating the location (what the hell am I supposed to be able to do about that?), to someone's idea about communication (this is a business, not a crisis line). Then there's accuracy, how nebulous is that when 90% of my guest don't even read the whole listing info and I know based on the same inane questions I grudgingly answer with a fake smile. Who are we kidding here. THIS is not a club, it's a business that many hosts depend on to survive. ANYONE renting for under $80 a night for a private apt or house is doing a public service and should be treated as such. As a host traveling to Airbnb properties, even the ones that are basic get my 5 Star vote. I know what those host go through to keep the doors open. 

Emiliano69
Level 3
Aguadilla Pueblo, Puerto Rico

@Amy-and-Brian0, Thank you Guys  very much !