Identity verification

Eileen340
Level 2
Desert Hot Springs, CA

Identity verification

I just became a member and I just reserved a stay in DHS, Cali. The problem is my NYS drivers license was stolen and I can't verify who I am because I don't have a picture  ID or passport. The worst part is I'm 3000 miles from home. I reserved the ab&b with a credit card and did everything correct. I'm just afraid the host won't let me stay because I don't have any ID at the moment. Any thoughts or suggestions will be very helpful.

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Eileen340 You say you've reserved a place, but have you received confirmation of the booking yet? Have you communicated with your host about this? Why anticipate not being able to stay if you haven't even let the host know your dilemma and asked? 

You have a clear profile photo of your face, so as long as you look like the person who made the booking when you arrive, most hosts would probably be okay with it. I don't even require guests to have verified ID because I host a room in my home, so it's not like they can sneak in extra people or pets and throw a wild party and trash the place.

If the host requires verified ID, and has had bad experiences with guests misrepresenting themselves or their intentions, it could be an issue, but straightforward and honest communication with hosts is important and can solve a lot of things.

Eileen340
Level 2
Desert Hot Springs, CA

Thank you for your response. I set up my account with Airbnb and gave my credit card info and did everything correctly except I have no drivers license, and yes I did message my host but it keeps telling me that they won't send my message to the host till I verify my identity..I'm going to keep trying and thank you again for your advice . I do have a old expired license I'll try that as well😊

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Eileen340  Because of Covid, NYS lets you renew or replace a license online.  You will get an electronic temporary license that you can use and they will mail you one.  You don't have to upload a vision test or a photograph or anything.