If You Have Instant Book Turned ON, Think Twice... For Now

Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

If You Have Instant Book Turned ON, Think Twice... For Now

It looks like the penalties have changed for people who cancel on guests which you can find out more here: New Cancellation Penalties Think Twice About Cancelling on a Guest

I also noticed that it still states "Cancel penalty-free if you’re uncomfortable".

instant book.png

The only problem is when you click on the link "Cancel penalty-free", you are taken to the penalties page where it once had a section on 3 penalty free cancellation if you felt uncomfortable with a guest.

It does however state in the "Instant Book settings" article: "House Rules: Guests will need to agree to your House Rules before booking. If you feel like you are ever uncomfortable with your guests’ behavior, you can cancel penalty-free."  

But once again, the link "cancel penalty-free" takes you to the penalties page where there is no mention of cancelling Instant Book bookings.

I hope this is an oversight but until this is fixed, I have removed the ability of guest to book my listing using Instant Book.

What are your thoughts?

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

4 Replies 4
Monica4
Level 10
Ormstown, Canada

Thanks for the "heads up" on this issue. So, if I have a water leak, no water, no electricity or something else that would make my listing extremely uncomfortable for my guests, I should let them check in and then have them do the canceling themselves?

Monica,

Those may be considered "extenuating circumstances".

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

I really think you need to have a very clear head and preferably a law degree to keep up with all the rules and regulations.  

Would not use instant book in any case as you cannot trust reviews.  I see time and time again on the forum that hosts are reluctant to leave honest reviews. I have also had personal experience with guests with quite a few good reviews leaving my place in a mess. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Dave-and-Deb0 Thanks once again Dave for a wonderful bit of investigating work. Dave, getting away from the thread a bit, I had a response to one of my posts from @Louise today! When I read it it took me a bit by surprise and I felt a little bit stupid.....she did have a point!

You do such an enormous amount of work on this forum, what are your thoughts on this.....

"No, the dispensing of free advice by experienced hosts is not good, not good at all.  Because we experienced hosts do so much of the hard work associated with onboarding new hosts, the true cost of each new host acquisition isn't being borne by Airbnb.  Therefore there is no disincentive for Airbnb to continue to indiscriminately recruit new hosts even though this is to the detriment of experienced hosts and, ultimately, to the Airbnb brand.

If you really want to help us hosts and in the longer term preserve the integrity of the Airbnb brand, stop volunteering your own time and expertise.  There's nothing in it for experienced hosts and a lot to lose".

She does have a point Dave!!!!!   cheers.....Rob