If a guest cancels a multimonth booking at 29 days, do they get hit with occupancy taxes?

If a guest cancels a multimonth booking at 29 days, do they get hit with occupancy taxes?

I'm playing around with the booking alteration options for a guest.  I can see that if I alter the booking end date to less than 31 days, the guest gets hit with occupancy taxes.  I'm wondering, if a guest cancels their long-term booking at 29 days, do they end up paying occupancy taxes?

It's an interesting quandary because if the guest cancels a long-term booking at 29 days, they still get hit with another 30 days of rent after the cancellation.  So they're not actually staying more than a month, but they're paying more than a month.  Does Airbnb then collect occupancy taxes on the whole 59 days of rent?  or on just 29 days worth?  or not at all?

2 Replies 2
Bonita5
Level 5
Victoria, Canada

@Christopher187 Any booking 28 days or more , there’s no occupancy tax . 

Thanks for the quick reply, but that doesn't answer my question, and that also isn't correct.  I think in your state, it's 30 nights or shorter.  In Illinois, it is 29 nights and shorter.  In my city, there is another occupancy tax that is on 30 nights and shorter.  So in my city, the occupancy tax is two-tiered (state and city), by just one day.

But none of that is the point.  I'm asking how it is charged/calculated on a booking that is multiple months, but is cancelled below the occupancy tax threshold.