If a guest extended the stay...

If a guest extended the stay...

Hi,

We re 4 friends helping each other about hosting. One of our friend had guests who extended their stay and paid cash after their checkout day. But they damaged some little things and behave like nothing happened. So we d like to know if Airbnb will still make them responsible for the damages or they can just leave the house without paying for the things they damaged. Also I told him that he should not take cash from the guest since there ll be no proof if the guest was still staying there. Am I right?

Thank you

6 Replies 6
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why would you expect Airbnb to cover damages under their guarantee when it was for a booking that your business partner had as a cash booking? @Serhat7 

He says that guest couldn t pay with their credit card .They extended 1 day and they ll check out tomorrow. Can he ask them to pay the damage? What can happen if they refuse and change their review to bad review? @Helen3 

@Serhat7 

• What can happen ?

Your guest can report the cashpayment to airbnb and they may then remove „Your friends listing“ from the platform.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Serhat7  Airbnb has nothing to do with any issues with a guest if the guest's Airbnb booking has come to an end. You're on your own.

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

@Serhat7 If the damage was done early on, whilst they WERE Airbnb guests, I guess you could legitimately claim.....? If you submit a claim to Airbnb, will the guest say to Airbnb, "Oh no, I caused the damage after I had checked out of the Airbnb reservation"? He/she might be fearful that THEY would get kicked off the platform for this.....? (-Then again, the admission that they stayed on paying cash could get YOU, the host banned, as Ute said......)

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Serhat7 

You said ...."But they damaged some little things and behave like nothing happened."

Serhat, we are finding it hard enough to get any form of compensation through Airbnb from a guest who will not admit to damage when the stay runs it's normal planned length and everything works within the platform.

To even consider lodging a claim when your 'friend' has worked outside the Airbnb charging structure with a guest is a surefire way to have the property and possibly the account closed by Airbnb.

You have to weigh up the consequences.....

On the negative side.

1/..........The guest is going to give a bad review....no guest likes to be challenged for more money and they will retaliate!

2/......The guest only has to say to Airbnb that they have paid the host additional money that did not go through Airbnb and should not have to pay any more, and Airbnb will take action against the host.

3/.....The chance of compensation is small, it would be an adjudicated amount and certainly not what would the host would be asking for. Airbnb will consider things like 'wear and tear' when offering any sort of payment.

This sort of action would only be considered if a large amount of money was involved.

Coming back that first point Serhat,  if the damage was minimal, the host should just replace it out of their own pocket, do no more than say to the guest how disappointing it was to have to replace breakages, but it has been done, in the past now. This will embarrass the guest and they will probably still give a good review out of a feeling of guilt.

Serhat, there are battles you fight and battles you don't. I think this is one battle that the host should walk away from....by pursuing it they may very well be much worse off!

Cheers......Rob