If it wasn't for the money...

Answered!
Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

If it wasn't for the money...

If it wasn't for the money I really wouldn't be a host. I give my applause to those who allow couch surfing for free or are doing this out of meeting new people and so forth, but some of these guests can ruin it for the whole lot. I enjoy those guests who arrive after check in time and leave before check out time, I also enjoy those who clean up after themselves and know how to live independently without asking questions which are found in the listing. I really like those guests who after I pre-approve there requests 5 minutes after sending it actually accept it. Those are the guests that make a hosts life easier and I hope that by them staying with me I make their life easier in some way vis a vis money saved.

Then you have those "uninformed" guests who by one form or another teach you just how to be a better host, for lack of a better phrase. They use all 10 towels in the bathroom so now you only leave 2 for them in their room, they stain the white bath mats so you switch over to bamboo mats with a plush backing, they cook curry and fry fish in the kitchen even though you state it time and time again- PLEASE do not cook-so you remove all pots and pans from the kitchen and then there are those that lose the house key so you install a key pad entry. We like to think all guests enjoy a free breakfast, but buying danishes and cured meats in a world of people who are on health kicks and gluten free just seems a waste of money and effort.

I suppose being a successful host is about being nimble, realizing that some things work great in theory, but not so in practice, and focusing on the main reason the guest booked your place- it was cheap, location was great and it was clean. Sticking to those three things and offering little else has become a winning strategy- at least for me.  <End Rant>

1 Best Answer
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

View Best Answer in original post

447 Replies 447
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This content is in our Archive board.

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Stephanie_0-1677152405466.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Louise47
Level 10
Maroochydore, Australia

I know how you feel

Sam104
Level 4
Leeds, United Kingdom

Absolotely correct, and there's me thinking i am unique, and it only happens to me,  

Maybe you shouldn't be a host.  But probably it's all about your location.  I think you're in Vegas? People go to Vegas to party I guess. I'm in Montreal and honestly, have had very few bad experiences so far (3 years, previously with Wimdu).  I find some of my guests boring lol

Julie-Marie

Probablly because of Instant Book and renting rooms in your house.  We rent our guesthouse and never use IB.  Our guest must have verified ID and we have been very lucky with over 100 guests and only a few problems. There are always those that don't read the listing and that is probably true for every host.  I never let anyone self check in and always meet and do a tour showing what they need to know.  I think when people pay less, they don't feel as responsible.  Renting 3 rooms and dealing with multiple personalities has got to be a challange.  Wishing you the best.

You are awesome the most helpful post I have read!!!

Absolutely agree with the comments about "Instant Booking" it goes totally against the original concept of Airbnb and guest/host relationship. Airbnb have turned the table almost totally against hosts nowadays.   

I dont like the Instant booking 

I am in Australia and made to enquiries recently by contacting the host

I simply wanted to enquire if my possible dates were available and introduce ourselves first

Only to be bombarded with demands to confirm and  complete my booking 

One host explained that I am expected to pay up front  but she doesn't get paid until my stay is completed  in this particular circumstance. Airbnb are using my cash for  5 weeks  ?  Seems to me neither customer or host benifits much 

I am new to Airbnb but  imagine that customers' money must be used by Airbnb on the short term money market to make extra $ out of the commission 

Leonnie, I don't have a problem with ABNB making money on the "float". It helps keep our booking commission affordable.

Instant book has worked for me. Maybe it's my location, I'm in Wakefield Canada and I haven't had problems. I've simply had some odd comments posted about the place, but the guests themselves haven't been that problematic. In fact I've made friends with afew!

I don't get the host that let the guest self-check in and don't even meet them.  I love meeting the guests and giving them the tour as well as letting them know if they need anything we are here to help them.  Alex and I also pick the guest up from the airport and drive them around sometimes.  It is so much fun site seeing with them.  I love meeting people from all over the world...yes making funds is a good thing too but the experience of meeting all these awesome people, you can't get that at a hotel... Alex likes to cook for the guest too... for Christmas, we have stockings up for all the guest who will be here that day.

So I am torn between being an "inexpensive" place to stay in order to get bookings, since I do not have a fancy place so can't charge too much, and being an "expensive" place to stay that chases away the irresponsible deadbeats but also the budget travelers... where is the happy medium?

I bill my place as "budget-minded traveler" friendly, with warm, clean sheets that may not match- but I've gotten a good handful of disrespectful cheap guests who should have just gotten a hotel.  I do get those traveling on a budget also, but they are harder to separate from just anyone...

Michelle, I know the DC area can be expensive. So I would go that route and jack the price up. The other option is to lower the price and treat your place like a hostel - the "guest" can bring their own sheets and towels (or rent yours). No amenities, one battered aluminum pot, two night maximum stay (so the "guest" doesn't get too comfy and forget their place). Lock the fridge but give them an ice chest to use ... you get the idea.

Yes agree my partner and I hosted 2 young girls at New Years totally disrespected our house rules I'm going to tell them it's not how BNB works 😩😖😱🙄😢