Illinos Occupancy Taxes Over 30 Days

Illinos Occupancy Taxes Over 30 Days

For years, the occupancy taxes would disappear if you made the booking dates over 29 nights.  Recently, Airbnb told me that they would start collecting hotel taxes not just for Illinois, but also for my locality.  My locality also has a hotel tax for bookings 30 nights or shorter, confirmed by Airbnb's tax info page.  However, my listings are now generating "Occupancy Taxes and Fees" no matter how long the booking.  The fee is larger for shorter bookings, which suggests to me that maybe Airbnb might be charging state & local tax on shorter bookings, and perhaps only local tax on longer bookings.  In any case, it seems like an error.  Is anyone else seeing this?

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with Airbnb support.  They agreed there is a problem and it shouldn't be adding the tax.  They're escalating to tech support or whatever.  Hosts may want to check their own listings to see if this is more then just a problem limited to my area.

3 Replies 3
Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for reporting this and for updating with your findings @Christopher187 ! I'm sure other Illinois hosts will find it beneficial.

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Christine2476
Level 2
McHenry, IL

thanks for the info

Christine2476
Level 2
McHenry, IL

any update?