Improving my overall rating

Kim812
Level 1
KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa

Improving my overall rating

Good day,

We have recently joined AirBnB, and are diligently working to improve our service to clients. We have addressed the issues that guests pointed out,

and made the suggested improvements. My concern is my overall rating. It is 4.7 at the moment, in spite of my recent 5 star ratings.  From what I can see,

the initial unfavourable reviews are still impacting my score.

1. Is there any way to remove or ignore those ratings, now that they have been rectified?
  2. Is there any way to focus on the recent favourable reviews?
  3. is there any way to show that past mistakes have been rectified?
  4. How long until my positive reviews finally start bringing my score back up again?

Thanks for understanding the "new kid on the block"

Regards,

Kim 

11 Replies 11
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Kim812  Here are short answers to your questions

1. No

2. No

3. If you do it timely, you can by writing response to a review

4. It depends on how frequently your listing gets booked.

I skimmed through your reviews. I as that only one review is so-so. It seems that your guests have left you with good review but lower ratings. You may want to get their feedback why ratings given were low while they were satisfied. Then you can improve.

BTW, you have total of 13 reviews. Just one bad review can bring your rating average down. When you have more bookings, it will definitely help to bring your rating up

Kim812
Level 1

Thanks so much @Alice595  I will ask future guests about the ratings that they give. Let's hope that I can continue with the good ratings though. Like you said more good ratings will improve my score.

I appreciate you taking the time to give me some answers.

All the best,

Kim

Kath9
Level 10
Albany, Australia

@Kim812, I wouldn't worry about it, honestly. Your overall rating doesn't show up to guests and your reviews in general are very good. As @Alice595 has said, because you don't have very many reviews yet, it doesn't take much to bring your overall rating down. Keep doing what you're doing - listen to your guests' feedback and make the necessary improvements. So far, no guest has specifically stated in their public review things that need improving, so there is no need to draw attention to it with public feedback. However, if a guest did post something, you can respond to their review with something like 'I'm sorry to hear you weren't happy with such and such. Your feedback is important to me and please be assured that I will fix this straight away' (or whatever is relevant to the situation). Once your good reviews build up, your overall rating will improve.

Kim812
Level 1

Thanks @Kath9  for taking time to answer me and give me more insight. You're right, they didn't make negative comments, so with some of them I was surprised by their ratings. Nevermind, we will just keep up being diligent and attentive to guests requests.

All the best,

Kim

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Kim812 

@Kath9 What do you mean by "your overall rating doesn't show up to guests"?? Here is yours...

Capture.JPG

@Lisa723well that's odd because this is what I see (for yours):

lisa (2).png

Different browsers maybe?

@Kath9 you're not seeing the numeric average (which I do when I preview, but that's new and may not be entirely rolled out). But you are definitely seeing the overall rating: 5 stars.

And this has always been the primary metric Airbnb shows guests.

@Lisa723, yes, that's what I meant, the numeric average. This is what I see when I preview my own listing, which looks way better than what you see when you look at mine! I don't know if I like the new numeric view...

reviews 2 (2).png

Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

From my point of view, don't think about ratings and points right now.  Guests will tell you what to improve. Rating below 5 means that there is a difference between expectations (based on pictures, description, price, etc) and reality. 5 star ratings will come when this difference disappears.

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

Hi Kim,

You're doing a great job and learning the hosting game! Hang in there!

The old reviews will carry less weight as you get more 5-star reviews. You'll just have to be patient until then.

It looks like the areas you scored lowest in were cleanliness and accuracy.

Do you feel that you've fixed these areas now?

We (my cleaner and I) had to come up with a checklist. When we're done cleaning, we "inspect" to make sure we got everything on our 60-something-item checklist. Everything from checking the beds for lint/hairs to ensuring the ice cube tray is filled. 

A lower accuracy score means there's something surprising people. Either your listing makes a promise about something that isn't there or isn't as nice as promised, or it doesn't make mention of something that's disappointing (think of any sights, smells, noises that could be off-putting).

If you've already made changes to both these areas and your reviews are just catching up, then just keep at it. Ask an honest friend if there's anything they'd suggest. Guests can also be a great help if you ask. Sometimes we're blind to the flaws in our beloved homes. 😉

Kevin1056
Level 6
Los Angeles, CA

@Kim812 You cant please everyone... Just do the bast that you can and ask guests for feedback before they leave a review. Say something like; we appreciate your business & feedback as to how we can make the place better, do you have any private feedback?