In case the one who booked cancels but the guests want to stay....

Brittany142
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

In case the one who booked cancels but the guests want to stay....

Hello! My husbabd and I and another married couple will be staying in an Airbnb in Japan. At least, I hope that will be the case. The other married couple is now starting to show signs of not going to Japan at all. WE, on the other hand, are definitely going. The problem is, the other husband booked our Airbnb stay (4 people. We shared the price and everything.) and now I'm afraid he's going to say they're not going...

We need that stay lol.

So, what should we do in case that happens? I figured I'd have him talk to his host and see if it's okay that 2 of us still stay. Or if he cancels, we could just pick up those days really quick, but then I'm afraid of if the price for the stay goes up. Any ideas of what to do? I'm really hoping this doesn't happen at all -_-

6 Replies 6
John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Brittany142, you're right to be concerned and trying to rectify this beforehand, as it's my understanding that this will be considered a third party booking if they back out, which is not allowed.

I would get the other couple's decision first before doing anything and if they do indeed back out, I guess I would contact Airbnb and explain the situation to them, asking what they suggest. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Brittany142  For starters, I'd insist that the other couple make up their minds one way or the other and ASAP. It's certainly not fair to keep you hanging. If they say they're not going, then I'd first message the host to explain the situation, and make sure they're okay with just you two staying. I can't see why they wouldn't be, but if you paid a higher price for 4 guests instead of 2, you can't reasonably expect the host to shoulder that loss, since if your friend cancels and they can rebook the dates for 4 people, that would likely be their preferred choice. So depending on the cancellation policy, and whether extra guest above 1 or 2 are charged at this listing, your waffling friends might have to take the loss.

Then, if the host is amenable, as @John1080 sugested, contact Airbnb to see how they can assist in cancelling the original reservation for 4 (of course your friend would have to be involved, they can't cancel if he doesn't agree to it) and simply move it over to your account , with an adjustment in the number of guests.

Brittany142
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

Thank you all for your input. I've been running it over in my mind just in case.

We have no problem even with paying the price for four if we have to. I hope perhaps it can just be a transfer of accounts....lets hope they just stay. Thanks

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

I’d go with @Brittany142‘s advice, but not cancel. The friends could add you to the booking by name and communicate them to the hosts as well. Airbnb will not communicate the extra names. 

That way, it’s no 3rd party bokking anyway. 

Just switcg the communication with the host to your mail and phone after everyone agreed on the change.  

@Helga0 I think thats what im going to do. We're already been added to the booking, but I didn't know the host wouldn't know that! Hmm. So even though in the booking it says four are going and has all four of our profile pictures displayed, the host can't see that? Aw, man. I'm hoping we can just let him know, not cancel, and just know that there will only be two instead of four.

@Brittany142, I would take a screenshot of your side of the booking, with the pictures and all names and explain in a mail to the host, screenshot added. 

No, as a host, I never got an information about other guests. It’s best to present all of the members of a group at least by first name and age. Full names and maybe job or interests in your case. 

I did not know, that the guest account shows the added members of a trip. 

I always supposed, that the sole purpose of it is to gain more members and email addresses 😉

good luck with uour trip!